Lithuanian 1992 Shuttle named "Gargamel".

After looking around for a few months of importing a civic shuttle I got lucky and found one close by!

This is currently my new project car named Gargamel, who always wanted to eat smurfs. I named my shuttle after him because for now they both are just as ugly.

It is 1992 1.6l 4wd greenish shuttle made in japan (according to vin number).

When I got it it was getting ready to be prepped for painting, so as you can see some of the panels are off.

There are quite a few bad parts about this car, but hey I got it quite cheap.

Good thing is that it has most of the original interior in tact. I did start fixing the driver seat tears and right away I got the whole interior cleaned.

Since I got this car from a previous owner that works as a mechanic and DD'ed this shuttle, most of the mechanical bits worked incredibly well.

The engine was also really clean and rebuilt. However, I got this offer for someone to buy my 1.6l stock engine, and luckily in our clubs garage there was a pretty much good to go d16z6 motor lying around. So before I could even make this thread I sold my stock engine and bought the new one. I did promise myself that this car for once would NOT be for the sake of power upgrades or going fast. This is because I already own a 172 renault sport clio that is prepped for racing on gravel and I dd a lightly (400hp) evolution X.

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
P.s. It has the original honda tow hook!
7.jpg
Interior was incredibly nasty. Cigarettes and all kinds of nastiness.
8.jpg
Old motor getting ready to be taken out.

So my desire is to make this shuttle a comfy, stylish retro looking car that I could drive on the weekends and sunny days as mostly show-off car.

This car needs so much love I hardly know what to do. It has the clunk and a bunch of problems.

However, for now the plan is:

- Get the new d16z6 fixed up and ready to go in (needs some light work)
- Get rid of all the rust and weld the panels etc.
- Paint the car in J45 racing blue (solid, non-metallic) color that comes from renaultsport.
- Find an original honda radio unit.
- Get the middle "wing".
- Get the fugly window tint off.
- Put on new roof rack.
- Make a decision on 15x8 wheels.

This is the color I want my car to be:
9.jpg

Last but not least I want to ask you guys for some big help.

My next most important step is to figure out how to make my shuttle sit a bit lower, and still have as soft suspension as possible.

I do not want to "stance" the wagon and have negative camber. I do want to have somewhat of a "meaty" bulky look, having more tire.

I did look into a bunch of build threads on here and read almost all things concerning suspension that I found on here.

Firstly, do I need to flare the fenders?

Secondly, what suspension set ups coilovers etc. you guys would suggest for me to get as most comfort as possible and have the car sit like this one:

10.jpg

I will say it again it does not really matter how the car will perform because I just want it to be plushy and look good.

I am really looking forward to buying parts and getting this car to stand out of the crowd!

Comments

• That wagon is fairly low, but if you want a nice suspension set up go with Koni Yellows and Ground Control Coilovers. Never had one complaint
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    That wagon is fairly low, but if you want a nice suspension set up go with Koni Yellows and Ground Control Coilovers. Never had one complaint

Could you please pm ar link me where where I could get them? And for what exact name/model? I will do my best to find them in europe.
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Cant get the coilovers in Europe, so youll have to order them from the US or try Koni Yellow's with Skunk2 Coilovers or something equal.

I have a D2 Coilover set with shorter springs, fullfills my needs.
  • I´ll waiting another 3 weeks for my K-Sport coilovers kit....like them http://ksportusa.com/products/coilovers/gt-pro/ but you get theam also in europe
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    I see. What would you recommend Vladi for a very comfy and slightly low set up?
    Tadas wrote: »
    I see. What would you recommend Vladi for a very comfy and slightly low set up?
    My opinion; if you want to go low on a Shuttle it's either low and stiff or high and smooth.

I'd say buy a good set of coilovers (BC Racing for example, about €900 delivered) and just try whats best for you.
    Koni's+Coilovers are a good option too, but the BC racing has more adjustability and you can play with springrates.
    Thats the best way to get a setup for your taste.

And be sure to get camber adjustement kits when you go lower than about 10cm, because your camber will fuck up pretty bad.
  • superhead91superhead91 New Wagonist
    Yeah lowering and smooth, comfortable ride don't exactly go together, unless you wanna dish out money for bags.

Anyway, looks like a good start.
  • Go to the Suspension section as I have a thread there for all the suspension setups people are running with their opinions of them. A modest lowering will not require a roll of the fenders if you have the right tire/rim combination. Never hurts to roll the inner fender in a little though. I had a set of TEIN SS on mine real low and the wife was driving with our newborn daughter and never complained about it, but then again remember you get what you pay for. Good luck
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Thank you for all the valuable input. Last question before I plunge into total research before getting suspension parts:

Will 88-91 civic/crx suspension components fit? My shuttle is said to be made in japan (vin number) and the year is 92.

I know that there is a switch in civic parts from 91+ but I am not sure about my shuttle. I do want to get the right stuff from the first time.
  • Please search, all suspension related questions have been answered in the suspension area of the forum.

Your Shuttle is not a Japan one as it is LHD, all JDM shuttle were RHD. Your will be EDM. To check which suspension will work for the rear you need to know if you have fork or eye rear control arms.

If you want nice smootrh suspension then I would recommend Fortune Auto like what Haydz has in his Shuttle and I have in my Type R
    All Shuttles were made in Japan I think.
  • Vladi wrote: »
    All Shuttles were made in Japan I think.

Yea but it was made for the EDM market, so it cannot be compared to Japanese Shuttles as they have different specs. So if he wants to know what suspension bits he needs then he needs to see what EDM Shuttles have as far as rear control arms go as it could be different to JDM. Like how USDM and JDM are different
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    NZ-DB8R wrote: »
    Yea but it was made for the EDM market, so it cannot be compared to Japanese Shuttles as they have different specs. So if he wants to know what suspension bits he needs then he needs to see what EDM Shuttles have as far as rear control arms go as it could be different to JDM. Like how USDM and JDM are different

Yup this is exactly what I wanted to know.

I will get a picture of my lca's as soon as I get back.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    I am still away, but my buddies are doing some work for me since the old motor that is in my honda has already been sold.

Here are some pictures of what is going on.

1393772_698628663481771_1112846959_n.jpg?oh=60265b40f72a7e37c56c3145dbd165b1&oe=52789D84&__gda__=1383668240_0f731e5a225940a5afac4a430e8db0cf1395448_698628750148429_1418259818_n.jpg?oh=7ff06ebc203fac1721dcaeaa959489cd&oe=527839CD&__gda__=1383703321_82f622ed0fc0550079b5226afadfd1721394266_698628806815090_446796532_n.jpg?oh=e908d4a66819a76b0ce0fb03b11dfe8c&oe=52786E29&__gda__=1383720005_cedaa50477332c214a710ea9d62152ad995561_698628733481764_655012653_n.jpg?oh=04ad8c0d9db43f8ade395075d82094ea&oe=5278C021&__gda__=1383698809_a87aa26eef14a0ec0abbbfdcdcc0e5b01452119_698632626814708_254455956_n.jpg?oh=f2510c340cd07c21e693e38bcaabdcfd&oe=527856EA&__gda__=1383671110_7d79e9c6a42a8d82328b45b4b6a2d6be

Out with the old that is already sold!

Next up - fixing the d16z6 and getting Mr. Gargamel cleaned up and ready for a new heart transplant.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    To check which suspension will work for the rear you need to know if you have fork or eye rear control arms.

Here are the ones that are exactly like on my shuttle. I put them side by side to check.

1383266_735047359856427_318173632_n.jpg?oh=f4f312f0190a2eb1f06e74267a8df552&oe=5278A2D9&__gda__=1383685045_5e8c08dc5452be7fbe94de2563e7563c

And this is the new engine

601115_698652933479344_1918890227_n.jpg?oh=a87aea6f927174d7851647e29e3a0101&oe=5278C871&__gda__=1383715188_9254b43cecec881c31dd9c1d81435c14

better shot:

1391951_735053649855798_1256859756_n.jpg?oh=9733083a09f41366fde8d02e93eba676&oe=52785D13&__gda__=1383723911_17d938c326faa883f6a70f4ed4ec83e5
  • ilgasilgas New Wagonist
    Nice to see another LT shuttle in this forum.

Your LCA are like rest of all EUDM LCA, and rest of 99% LT Civic;)
    JDM looks like this http://jdmengineland.com/images/CONTROLARMS/EGDC-LCA%20(Small).jpg

P.S. Like I see there's Romka working on your shuttle? ;)
  • Tadas wrote: »
    Here are the ones that are exactly like on my shuttle. I put them side by side to check

Those are "fork" type LCA which is USDM type(I think USDM came with the Eye type), no JDM car ever came with them
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    ilgas wrote: »
    Nice to see another LT shuttle in this forum.

Your LCA are like rest of all EUDM LCA, and rest of 99% LT Civic;)
    JDM looks like this http://jdmengineland.com/images/CONTROLARMS/EGDC-LCA%20(Small).jpg

P.S. Like I see there's Romka working on your shuttle? ;)

Yup we rent the same garage!
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Those are "fork" type LCA which is USDM type(I think USDM came with the Eye type), no JDM car ever came with them

So this means I can order anything from U.S. websites for 88-91 civic suspension! Great news.
  • rbwdrivenrbwdriven Senior Wagonist
    Tadas wrote: »
    So this means I can order anything from U.S. websites for 88-91 civic suspension! Great news.

Be leary ordering 88-91.

Technically it is 89-91

88 is the round end (like the type r) not the fork end.

lots of companies say fit 88-91 but have to specify if will work on 88 style lca's.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Good day guys!

Here is a small update - working on the d16z6 engine. Cleaning combustion chamber, valves, exhaust ports etc. 20+ years of nastiness must be gone!

Also, we discussed an idea of p29 pistons upgrade to raise the compression to more like 11:1 or 12:1. I have heard good things about NPR p29's that are 30mm.

Furthermore, I have been doing my homework on coilovers for this car, and I do believe that for softness and dd they should have rubber top mounts rather then pillowball top mounts. However, For example BC coilovers that I am looking into come with four different spring rate set ups:

12/6Kg/mm EF9/ED Civic CRX 88-91

10/5Kg/mm EF9/ED Civic CRX 88-91

7/5Kg/mm EF9/ED Civic CRX 88-91

6/4Kg/mm EF9/ED Civic CRX 88-91

p.s. all of them come with rubber top mounts.

My question then is should I go for the 6/4 set up as it is supposed to be the softest spring rate, or should I reconsider?

I know you guys tried some different set ups over the years and will know the right choice.

Oh and pictures:

1.jpg?t=1393755179

Block, and deliberations of what things other then p29's should go in it.

1.jpg?t=1393755181

Dirty dirty combustion chambers

1.jpg?t=1393755187

Almost clean! I still wonder if I should port/polish intake/exhaust ports.

1.jpg?t=1393755178

Parts from both engines lying around in the trunk.

Lastly, I would like to hear your suggestions/opinion on building the NA block. Yes I did search and look at a bunch of things and forums from d-series honda-tech and this forum.

But still I wonder what you guys think. For now the plan is NPR p29 pistons (30mm), cleaning all possible things on the stock engine, changing all gaskets seals etc. and a good tune.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    A small tease of what is coming!

127.jpg
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Hello again guys! I have finished my season of iceracing with renault, and it is in preparation for summer events. Now I am almost done with my daily evo project for summer as well, and I finally hope to have enough finance and time to get to the civic shuttle, because I really really want to give all my love to that car.

I have made some decisions on what to do and get, but before I do all that and get the engine together I would like to know if any of you guys have put it some sound/heat insulation in the engine bay/trunk/doors?

I bet this would make the 22year old car come alive and have a more "luxury" feel to it that I am going for.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Well no one seems to be interested in my little thread-build, but hey there is a bit of action going on, and since I really like wagons I will share my progress and plans.

The new engine - D16z6 is under complete overhaul to get to be 11.5-12 CR with p29 pistons, other then that we are getting a bunch of new parts and fixing the bore to 75.5. Head got resurfaced.

Only thing left is to polish the ports, because I do not think I can do a port job by myself, and this is the first car that I really really want to do everything other then welding and painting the body myself.

So,

It has already been agreed that in 2 weeks the people that will cut the rust away and weld new panels on will take the car.

I will also ask them to widen or add fenders so my future planned "boxy" square look could be done.

I really did rethink my renault racing blue color and I want to go with somewhat of this look --> http://www.stancenation.com/2012/10/24/that-one-nissan-s14/ .

However, it should be more of an army green with yellow accents, such as valve cover, belts, letters on the car and so on.

The wheels I have picked are expensive, so they will not show up any time soon. They are rota RKR 15x8 ET10 or even ET0. And I want 205 or 215 tires on there.

They will come in gunmetal grey most likely:

876.jpg

I love the big lip on these, and I really wish I would have the money for real watanabe but these already will cost as much as my car with the tires.

Also,

Today I started ripping appart the interior, because I want to refresh and redo everything on this car, I really want to completely take it apart because I feel like it is a challenge to me.

I will also be able to do everything the correct way.

I found a sponge behind the speedo, a sticky sock in the rear fender well and just quite a bit of sand, dirt, webs and all other nastiness.

There is still a bunch of work to do as you can see.

But, here is a great thing I got today, a brand new, but old model honda cassette player, guys said it even comes with navigation!

877.jpg

It's a honda bose unit and it was left abandoned in some honda parts store for ages. I am so glad to have it!!!

Here is how the uninstall went:

878.jpg
    879.jpg
    880.jpg
    881.jpg
    882.jpg
    883.jpg
    884.jpg
    This is where the nasty sock-creature lies, and rust.
    885.jpg
    886.jpg
    887.jpg
    Nasty sponge behind speedo.
    888.jpg
    My buddy being unhappy about not being able to figure out how to take off the front dash.
    889.jpg

With the sun setting and being unable to take off the dash, I figured I would stop for the day.

I think we need to take the steering wheel off and all the other stuff in order to get it out of there.

This is how much stuff got taken out, and that is it for today.

890.jpg
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    That wagon is fairly low, but if you want a nice suspension set up go with Koni Yellows and Ground Control Coilovers. Never had one complaint
    yea my car when its slammed feels great even on the california hwys full of pot holes n shit

got the extended top hats in the front they serve no purpose in the front the car will be too low to get a jack under and you wont be able to go higher than that
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    will be interesting to see the numbers on the motor when your done
  • I like the plans. Keep the updates coming, i'm interested!
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    I like the plans. Keep the updates coming, i'm interested!

Your interest alone is enough for me to take pics during the progress and post them.

Here are some from today.

25.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.jpg
    28.jpg
    29.jpg30.jpg
    31.jpg

As you can see I got the motor back from the shop that got it to spec of 75.5mm. Also I spent the time after work getting the dash out, removing random bits, doors and I even got the heater and ECU out of the car.

I feel like there is a dar or two of work left until I can get the car to move into the shop were the welders will deal with the rust, and maybe make me some new flared fenders. I am also wondering about a CRX hood with a bump in it. I think it would give the car more "flavor".

When I get the car into the body shop I plan on getting the engine back together myself. P.s. I have never done anything like this before. It will be a complete overhaul of the whole car from the bottom up.

And heh you should see the looks on peoples faces when they see a motor just chilling on the desk in my office.

Also, I wish I knew what pain it is to get the dash out. All the connectors and other random things are wildly hard to get to.

More work tomorrow!
  • Im loving the pics of the engine in your office haha! Totally interested in seeing your posts/updates. I need to rip my interior apart and clean like you lol. Anything special performance mods going on the engine?
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Im loving the pics of the engine in your office haha! Totally interested in seeing your posts/updates. I need to rip my interior apart and clean like you lol. Anything special performance mods going on the engine?

Thanks! I wish I would spend the moneys on my shuttles performance. But for now it is in such condition that I really want to fix up the body/interior/suspension and just fit d16z6 engine with pretty much back to OEM parts just have pm7 or p29 as others call for pistons, in order to make higher compression, meaning closer to 11.5-12 CR.

We do have another shuttle laying around with a built d16z6 turbo engine in it that a person owns. But it is just rotting away, looking all horrible.

I just cannot leave such a potentially great looking car to die.

So here is a bit more work that I did today, and some shots of underbelly of the beast.

73.jpg

Removed a few more things under the hood, just enough for my understanding for upcoming paint work.

74.jpg

More and more parts getting out of the car, and then I noticed roof lining is still all in tact so I had to get that done.

75.jpg

Aaaand thats removed.

76.jpg

Bunch of random stuff laying around, but as you can see not much of interior pieces left at all.

77.jpg

Just had to take a pic of my friends ass.

78.jpg
    79.jpg
    80.jpg
    81.jpg

This is how the underside suspension components held up.

I did notice only this one rust hole as you can see in the body. But yeah the side-skirts are all messed up with rust when you look at it more.

I think this is enough to get it to a paint person and welder person to get their jobs started.

In the mean time while fenders are flared, sound deadening material applied and car being prepped and painted I will go ahead and start buying parts for the engine rebuild.

Ugh also I need to get all the parts in correct boxes and all the interior trim and seats stored in a nice place before they get redone.