Lithuanian 1992 Shuttle named "Gargamel".

Comments

• TadasTadas Wagonist
    Well guys a long due update:

I did drive my car for 120ish miles to a place where they are making me a new carpet.

I got it there on the arranged day and they have said in 3 days it should be done.

And yeah it has been 3 weeks already and at best they will give it back on wednesday.

On the other more bright note I got a few new goodies for the wagon:

173.jpg

Magnetic oil bolt to catch all the metal bits from rings and things getting sealed in my new motor.

174.jpg

Sk-import rear camber kit.

175.jpg

Front upper strut bar.

176.jpg

Adjustable UCA.

177.jpg

Lower control arms.

178.jpg

Half size fat radiator, just incase turbo happens.

179.jpg

The best bit! $100 payed for Weitec (old KW, cost $600+ when new) shock and spring kit that comes from 5 gen hatch.

It does look a bit sad, but it should be really good, since it is made to work as a kit, rather than me trying to get lowering springs and throw them on some random shocks.

I am also debating on getting a full kit of silicone radiator hoses (6 of them in pack I believe).

Gargamel is going to rock new stuff! I am glad 23 year old suspension is going to get changed.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    So today I FINALLY got the wagon back with the new rug. There are still few bits missing, but slowly it will come together.

In the highway I was quite amazed at how high the rpms stay:

232.jpg

In terms of MPH it would be close to 70 mph at 4000 rpms. Is this normal for our little wagons and rt4wd transmission?

The legal highway summer speed here is ~81 mph, and it is normal to go ~ 87-90 mph. But I am afraid to even think what kind of rpms the wagon will be turning then.

Have any of you guys encountered this issue here in europe? And I thought my evo gears are short.. Look at this little guy!
  • Yep, totally normal revs. At 60 I'm pushing about 3500 give or take.

https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?18905-3-5k-rpm-at-65mph-normal
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Yep, totally normal revs. At 60 I'm pushing about 3500 give or take.

https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?18905-3-5k-rpm-at-65mph-normal

This means taking gargamel on long trips will be a little harder then I thought.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    So time for an update, I have been working on the suspension for 3 days straight.

But first I finally got some pictures of the exhaust that has been made for my car, and some of you might be wondering how it looks:

Exhaust manifold is an ebay 4-2-1, cut where it is still fat, so it would be no less than 2.2" of diameter.

Then it goes to 2 small resonators and to big muffler, down to a better looking exhaust pipe that is cut 45 degree angle just the way I wanted.

Here are the pics:

263.jpg

264.jpg

265.jpg

266.jpg

I really like the sound it makes! It is quiet and totally not ricey civic sound. Also, it is free flowing because it is 2.2" all the way.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    So now comes the part with suspension install.

At first I would like to say that shocks from 5th gen civic DO NOT fit our 4th gen shuttle.

The shock itself is much wider in diameter, and therefore more sturdy, so I had to get new "forks" from 5th gen civic.

Here is the shock and the comparison in forks:

267.jpg

268.jpg

When I got that sorted another problem occurred: even though I got adjustable UCA, they did not adjust enough for me to get even slight negative camber, which I need to hide the wheels under those huge fender flares.

So they had to be modified:

269.jpg

After the grinding was done it all fit together:

270.jpg

The rear of the car was easier to do, no modifications, all pretty straight forward stuff.

271.jpg

272.jpg

Also, as a bonus I added the front strut bar:

273.jpg

And I can tell you now the car handles much better and sits much lower than before. It is starting to look pretty cool!

I will get the alignment done tomorrow, and there is some weird noise coming from front passenger wheel, but I will figure it out.

Oh and some pictures of how it looks:

(It might need to settle and look lower then)

274.jpg

275.jpg

276.jpg

277.jpg

Next up - installing new radiator, fixing power steering bracket, installing sound insulation and putting some of interior pieces back together, so stay tuned!
  • WannabeWannabe Band Wagon
    Great job. Great work. Looks great minus the yellow
  • will it pass the shoe test?
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    will it pass the shoe test?

What would the shoe test be?

And I am back at working inside of the wagon, because most of the mechanical stuff is done.

So here is what is going on:

More sound deadening going into the wagon:

314.jpg

The front side is a b**** to get done compared to the whole floor and trunk of the wagon.

I wonder how hard the doors will be.
  • if you can fit a shoe in between the fender and the tire its not low enough.
    1.jpg
  • LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    That.

is.

very.

yellow!
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    If it was to go any lower the front tires would rub the front bumper, but I will try the shoe test!
  • snowbrdsnowbrd Wagonist
    Ha ha, nice shoe test, I have passed it, because I can't even get my fingers in there :D
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Small update:

I have been relentlessly sticking sound insulation all over the front end. Only the most difficult part of the drivers side is left. It is a HUGE pain to get it to look neat.

However, I did take the car for a short test drive, and I can tell you even without interior, with only the whole floor sound proofed and the front, I can barely hear the engine or road noise. It does make a tremendous difference!

Here are a few quick pics:

22.jpg

Oh I forgot to mention I got the whole new rug made and installed in the car. It is fat and nice!

23.jpg

I am also pretty happy with how low the car now sits and looks. I know there are a lot of things that need to be done exterior wise, but first thing first, all the mechanical bits, engine, suspension, then interior, sound system and only then exterior things will be taken care of.

It is already July, but I am now working at it every single day after work.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    So not sure if you guys know this, but I have lost a very important box with some of the interior and misc. parts.

It was in the car for the longest time, and for the life of me I cannot find the most important part box.

The only way out was for me to go and buy another civic. So I did search for a while and finally I stumbled upon a 4th gen 1991 2wd brown/brown civic sedan.

I struck a bargain at $220, and drove the car all the way across our little country for 120 miles.

I will need to get a whole lot of pieces out of this car:

Door lock buttons
    Steering rack cover,
    Misc. relays
    Brown seat belts (work with my scheme of seats)
    Interior light
    Handles for holding on
    Window sprayers,
    Handles for opening windows.
    Headlight adjustment mechanism
    Brackets for front panel.
    Misc. bolts and bits from under the hood and inside.

This is what I can remember of top of my head, but it was a fun drive and here is what I got:

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg102.jpg

103.jpg

Stay tuned as I salvage parts and install them into the wagon. Poor sedan tho, I do not know if I shall just blow it up or somehow keep it.

I really somehow bonded with it throughout the trip, and the SEATS, oh my they are just so comfortable and nice!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Tadas wrote: »
    I really somehow bonded with it throughout the trip

This means you keep it.
  • 91 RT4WD91 RT4WD Wagonist
    I think you should try to keep the sedan.
  • good call on the deadening! it makes a great difference, i cant understand the people who take it all out on there dailys, driving my wagon stock i had to listen to loud music or id go insane lol
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    So an update.

First my girlfriend has got a new camera, which is great for pictures!

Second, I have encountered quite a few problems with the wagon - there is oil leaking somewhere, the front passenger axle is not doing well, the tires are rubbing when I turn on the front bumper, there is an electrical gremlin hiding somewhere and quite a few others.

This project really is a handful, but the good news:

I have taken off a few pieces of off the sedan I got and installed them on my car - rear view mirror, water nozzles, a bit long but still good sun visors, headlamp adjustor unit.

Furthermore, I have bought a used 59300 comp cam. I am kind of afraid that it will mess up the engine sound and will be like a diesel, and that it might wipe out my brand new engine set up. But, I am going to throw it in before the dyno day. I really want to get the most out of the combination that I have. I will also try and get a set of springs/retainers to match the cam, but I really cannot find anything close to me here in europe. Maybe you guys can help?

Lastly, I have already done ~770 miles of break in, and I have around 500 more miles to go before I dyno this little beast.

I really would love to get it to ~160ish hp at the crank so that it would be comparable to my renault sport 2.0L engine that I used to play around with. It would be epic to make my honda screech at high rpms!

And lastly here are some pictures from the two trips me and my girlfriend took for honda break in and just for fun:

32.jpg~original

33.jpg~original

The steering wheel is made from real nappa leather. It feels so good. Well worth the money spent. It is the stock wheel just fattened and dressed up.

34.jpg~original

35.jpg~original

36.jpg~original

37.jpg~original

As you know the seats are made from material that was used on old 80s audi S. Furthermore, I have kept all the stock little stiching and everything to keep it original.

38.jpg~original

39.jpg~original

40.jpg~original

41.jpg~original

And that's it for this update, it sometimes is overwhelming to even think about how much more stuff is left to do to complete this build, but hey I will keep on trying!
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    42.jpg~original

Oh and a picture of where I got my engine to 9999 kms without any major problems!
  • ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Looks good!
    Nice work, but I am little worried about Your break-in process. If You had new pistons and freshly bored cylinders, than You should do like this to get the max power out of Your engine (I already did this to mine and friend have done it on 350whp turbo, rings seals perfectly):

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    It has been a while, but I have been working on the wagon NON STOP for the past two weeks.

I have to get to a weekend festival, one of the biggest and coolest electronic music festivals ever near my country in europe.

And I have decided to go with a wagon no matter what. So that means I did not stick the whole car with sound insulation, I did not paint all the parts but had to get the car ready!

So I have mostly all interior back in place, and almost everything set.

Tomorrow is dyno day, and on tuesday I will try to register the wagon and get it to pass technical inspection.

Here are a few random shots and some small updates that I have:

11.jpg

12.jpg

I got the race only ferodo ds2500 brake pads for the front of the wagon, just because I wanted to try them out. They are expensive tho!

Also, I will change the back drum pads and get the brake fluid changed this week.

13.jpg

Here you can see that I have installed a fat half-size radiator. Website said "bolt on". Nothing on this car is ever bolt on and I had to modify a bunch of things to get this thing to fit and stay in place.

Ah also, engine comparison of stock vs now. Only the new radiator is not in the shot.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Random picture of me and the wagon. Note - the bumper needs to be put on better, as well as the whole exterior needs a bit of love.

16.jpg

Me drawing a wagon of friends garage work board. Mad skillz!

Here is a test of my rt4wd. It works lol.
  • The wheels look like frog eyes.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    Yesterday was a big day!

Here is the news:

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

[video]http://vid1315.photobucket.com/albums/t596/tadasbartkus13/Mobile Uploads/IMG_5929_zps0d6c7ffc.mp4[/video]

[video]http://vid1315.photobucket.com/albums/t596/tadasbartkus13/Mobile Uploads/IMG_5931_zps067f9638.mp4[/video]

So the finale - little devil made 145hp / 165 nm

That is about what I expected from my set up. I am happy with it. I do think about porting the head a bit, getting adjustable cam gear, Brian Crower valve springs, edelbrock IM and throwing in comp cam 59300. It should bump my power up by 20-25hp. Not sure if all the hassle is worth it though. But it might be good fun for the winter.
    Yeah! Nice! I don't think it's worth it to get 20hp.. Better investment would be a small turbo and You will get +100hp

ps. I already had 270nm with small turbo @4k rpm and that's nice number for winter or wet tarmac ;) :D
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    snowbrd wrote: »
    Yeah! Nice! I don't think it's worth it to get 20hp.. Better investment would be a small turbo and You will get +100hp

ps. I already had 270nm with small turbo @4k rpm and that's nice number for winter or wet tarmac ;) :D

Would you share what turbo did you get, and how much the whole deal cost?

I would need exhaust mani, turbo itself (wastegate included?), bov, intercooler, IC piping, boost controller, injectors, fuel pump, and probably some more stuff that I am missing here :O
  • t9wagont9wagon New Wagonist
    Personally I'm a fan of NA, the d series isn't known for it but 145 hp to the wheels as is is impressive! Ya you could make 200hp easily with a turbo, but I think 160 without one would be much more fun. It comes down to your preference
  • Love this build....looking forward to seeing the finished interior pics. There are some great ideas there....congrats on bringing this to completion!
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    t9wagon wrote: »
    Personally I'm a fan of NA, the d series isn't known for it but 145 hp to the wheels as is is impressive! Ya you could make 200hp easily with a turbo, but I think 160 without one would be much more fun. It comes down to your preference

I am sorry to say but 145 is a bhp or at the crank, so it would be ~ -15% of that number to the wheels. Yes I am also a fan of NA. I love the linear torque and the smoothness while revving it out!