'91 RT4WD -AK Style- Build Thread

Comments

• JaudetteJaudette Wagonist
    Thanks man!

are you trying to get a rake to your stance or bring it totally level? Wouldn't putting a spacer on the main pivot help with the toe link issue? It's interesting that the front and rear are that different.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    It's pretty level unladen, just want a little extra for towing or hauling my Teedub. That, and I may put the 2" spacers back on the front and try some 30x9.50 mudders...
    I'm not a believer in spacing that main pivot, it alters the geometry of the whole swing. Besides that, i find that the extra lift pressure on the RTA causes the pivot bushing to "plunge" to the outside and rest against the wall of the pocket it rides in. ( that could be a small part of why i had to add more spacer in rear...?)

But here's my take on why the front and rear require different spacers to achieve the same lift: it's a matter of ratio, because of where the strut attaches to the lower member.

In front the strut is nearer to the center of a shorter arm, giving roughly a 2" lift per 1" of spacer. In the rear the relation is more direct, because the strut acts on a longer arm very near the free end.

Make sense? Sorry, I'm no engineer, I may not explain very well.
    I was wondering how that would play out since the bushing can walk back and forth
    scored some alpine type x speakers from my buddies old truck

362.jpg
    363.jpg

undetected and unsuspected

364.jpg

spent a good 20 min with a carbide cutter taking the weld out of the inner bore so the shock tower will fit. then finished it with a flapper disc

365.jpg
    366.jpg

and then drilled holes for the studs, heres the issue, theres no room for a nut so looks like im going to have weld the bottom

367.jpg
    368.jpg
    369.jpg

thats it for today, now that i have the bolt spacing correct, ill use the drill press tomorrow to drill the rest and then on to bead blasting
    found the solution for the nuts on the shock body..........had one of those frappuccino and end mill kinda mornings haha

377.jpg
    378.jpg
    379.jpg

i used the drill press to drill the rest of the holes and made some finishing touches to get it to fit in the pocket in the unibody

380.jpg

bead blasted and painted

381.jpg

ill let that kick till tomorrow and then lord willing we'll be in business
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    Nice! Any crazy rally videos coming? Lol
    Wagon attAK?
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I c what u did there lol
    I forgot to mention that you might have to radius those top corners. We ran into that with Drmorty's machined spacers. Looking good!
    WOOHOO! its friday

did work today

fit check

390.jpg
    391.jpg

found a little surprise on the drivers side

392.jpg

Before:

393.jpg

After:

394.jpg

395.jpg

396.jpg

rockin it AK STYLE

397.jpg

i need a bumper, scoop and paint job BAD, im torn between 1/8 steel or 1/4 aluminum for the bumper ;-)

so the axles are pretty bad, specially under boost in 1st. im thinking ill spacer the engine mounts and actually drop the engine 3/4 to 1 inch and maybe spacer the subframe too. it really depends on what needs to happen, i mean hell i might as well spacer all that shit but definitly not going to the lengths bam-bam did. at this point for the time being its at least drivable, im out of money so its down to fabrication of parts and ive got 3 projects brainstormed.
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    Damn, that lifted up a lot in the front!
    Yeah.............it's a little bit ridiculous
  • Good job, I love the DIY style!
    I like it!
  • i think i have a wrx hood scoop in my garage..dont know how i have it lol. ill grab a pix tomorrow or something.
    alright i need some input from you guys, specially bam-bam. i lifted the front alot so heres my plan:

spacer the front subframe 1"
    spacer the front crossmember 1"
    spacer the trans and engine mounts 1"
    spacer the UCA mounts 1"
    spacer the carrier bearings 1"
    spacer the rear subframe 1"
    spacer the rear struts 3.5"
    spacer the upper rear diff mounts 1"

alot of this can be accomplished by simpling cutting out pieces of 1" plate and getting longer bolts. i know this wont bring the front axle angle to factory BUT it will bring the engine down a whole inch which im sure will help quite alot. as for the rear suspension, i think i could get away with leaving the camber and toe link mounts where they are and getting adjustable ones because all it will do is drop the LCA. any thoughts? the only thing im dreading with this endeavor is the steering shaft to the rack might need to be extended.

if this were a 2wd id totally just rotate the engine back to drop the front diff haha
    as for the scoop my buddy is a subaru guy and has several hanging around his shop, the only problem is he is commercial fishing until god knows when
    I'm thinking...
  • alrighty, spent alot of time on the lathe this week........

first off scored some schedule 120ish 2" pipe from the scrap bin, cut it into appx. 3.5" lengths since the band saw is a little caddywompus

12.jpg

then ran them down to 3.5" +/- .010

13.jpg

14.jpg

next i cut some 1.75" discs out of 1/4" scrap

15.jpg

used the pilot hole from the hole saw to perfectly center the discs on the pipe and then tacked them in place

16.jpg

17.jpg

5 down 9 more to go

18.jpg

next is a 31/64th hole to snuggly accomodate an m12x1.25 bolt

19.jpg

so in the mean time while im building and welding up the spacers i did a trial run on how im going to get my m12x1.25x230mm bolts

20.jpg

ill use a 8.5" long 9/16 bolt or all-thread depending on the price, and m12 bolt has an overall diameter of .4625" i turned this down to .4715" to make sure i got deep threads. i put the bolt in the drill chuck attachment for the shuttle and an m12x1.25 in the lathe chuck. using the shuttle to push the bolt i was able to find a suitable gear reduction on the chuck and spin the hand wheel on the back to cut the threads. it worked exceptionally well, this is a strong bolt.......like absurdly hard, it took quite a bit to cut the head off the bolt with the metal chop saw. its just busy work now that i figured out my method.

after the subframes are all spaced im going to reinforce everything with 1.5" tubing.

this is quite an undertaking so its gonna take awhile, the only things im not sure on yet are extending the steering post and the UCA mounts.

got my honeymoon coming up so i wont have any time to work on it for awhile :-(
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I love the self fab work of everything
  • BINGO! instead of turning the threads off a 9/16, i found a 1/2-13 x 10"

21.jpg

ill only have to turn about .003" off

22.jpg

and cue montage:

23.jpg
    1.mp4 <
    video
    24.jpg
    25.jpg
    26.jpg
    27.jpg
    28.jpg

and BAM

29.jpg

this was a grade 5 bolt, again a trial run, ill have to order 16 grade 8, 1/2-13x10" offline, the overall length after cutting the threads off is 8 3/8", thats within 3mm of what i need........i guess sometimes shit just works out :-)

im also toying with the idea of cutting the threads with the lathe instead of a die, this is a 1948 LeBlonde lathe so it CLEARLY does not have metric pitchs, BUT 1.25 pitch equates to 20.32TPI so maybe i can fudge it by .32 TPI? ill try that before i make up my mind
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    I wish I had fun machining tools to play with :(

I'm kind of confused by the bolt in the traction bar, you're going to drop it by that much?
    I like it! You're right, the upper control arms are the tough part.
  • You think i could get away with building a drop bracket and actually rotating the bolts 90 degrees for the uca mount? In hindsight maybe I should've just bit the bullet and gone for 6". As far as ordering bolts go....... This whole "shipping" thing is getting out of hand, I found a place that will actually ship to Alaska and they want 51$ to ship 5lbs of fasteners! It's horseshit! Especially when someone in Seattle will ship to Miami for free but want an arm and a leg to ship to Anchorage, sometimes I kinda wish I lived in the lower 48. End rant.
  • And yes doctor finklstein, I'm dropping it 4"
    Rotating those pivots is an interesting idea. I don't see why not. But...you'll still have to notch the 'frame rail' part of the apron.

Why not 6"?? I only settled on 4 because that was the thickness of my donor floorpan mostly.

I never gave you an opinion on your query the other day re: longer UCAs and toe links. I don't think that's the way. Need to move ALL of the points down the same amount, I think.
  • Ok, I guess I could just build drop brackets for those mounts, I think I'm pretty limited to 4" by the bolts, I could go 6" but that would require getting grade 8 threaded rod which is $$$. I used sch120 pipe because its what I had on hand but if I were to get 2" round stock all I'd need to do is drill the hole. I'd almost consider building selling a few lift kits but I just don't know, liability and such
  • I thought about it and I'm gonna stick with the 4" lift, if I were to go 6" it would include frame rails, 2 solid axles, and 350cubic inches of sweet 'Mercian freedom
  • front cross-member spacered

78.jpg
    79.jpg
    80.jpg