Highly modified 1987 RT AWD

Comments

• ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    nwWagoRT wrote:
    AAAAAhhhhh, both are such good examples of clean 3rd gen wagons.
    85wagogo wrote:
    omg sooo clean

Thank you, it means a lot.
    Call me crazy but since installing the KYB's, this is officially my daily driver.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    new wheels look good... maybe could up the tire size a little bit or lower the wagon a little bit????

love this wagon...
    BillBoard wrote:
    new wheels look good... maybe could up the tire size a little bit or lower the wagon a little bit????

love this wagon...

Thanks! I really do wish it could be done, its lowered like 2", but this will just have to do.
    (for now) :mrgreen:
    I'm just soo happy with the new ride quality. I can't begin to tell you what a mess it was before.
    and as for the tires, any larger and I (of course) lose A LOT of engine torque!

(Plus, you's gots ta leave space for whens i's fills it up wit all mah goons, then the thing really starts squatin'). bahahahahahahah
  • ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Don't listen to all these guys about lowering your car :lol: they are perfect the way they sit. This forum has a bad habit of telling every new member that they have to slam their cars to the ground :mrgreen: (mine sits super low as well, low enough to be illegal in the wonderful world of Germany).

Beautiful cars, some of the cleanest on this forum!
    ragenasian wrote:
    Don't listen to all these guys about lowering your car :lol: they are perfect the way they sit. This forum has a bad habit of telling every new member that they have to slam their cars to the ground :mrgreen: (mine sits super low as well, low enough to be illegal in the wonderful world of Germany).

Beautiful cars, some of the cleanest on this forum!

Thanks!! I'm feelin' your rides also. As long as we all have fun working on our wagons, it really doesn't matter.
    Its hard finding cool little goodies for a 3rd Gen. wagon.
    So when I do, I pounce on it.
    like this old under seat tray.
    263.jpg
    264.jpg
    265.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    so rad!!!!!
    I also bought an old EQ from a 87 Integra. That was a lil beat up. see the little LCD Level indicator thats punched in? yeah, cant have that....
    266.jpg

I gotta say.... it kind of makes you feel a little sick inside when you start to take some of this old stuff like this apart, things that you know will be VERY hard to find or replace.

Anyway, ended up needing to crack it open to repair it the right way.
    267.jpg

and put some glue on the bridge between the displays, so this wont happen again.
    268.jpg

Here it is all finished and sealed back up, and ready to install.
    269.jpg
    270.jpg
    OK and now I need some help...
    I recently towed this car to Virginia, and encountered its rough and crumbling roads...
    Long story short, the roads in Richmond seem to have broken or disconnected something on the internals of my Alpine CM 3907 cassette player. The power and display work fine, just not producing sound out at all... tape player has been broken too. does anyone have an idea about how to repair one of these? I cant even get the screws out their soo tight. What do I do?
    271.jpg
    272.jpg

I am very adamant about keeping this head unit alive, as it was a Honda Full-Logic factory option and one of Honda's first Dolby Digital units with Dolby-N in partnership with Alpine. and I just managed to track down and purchase the EQualizer that is compatible....
  • RodthevikingRodtheviking Band Wagon
    I had the same problem with my Pioneer/Land Rover unit. I happened to find a factory repair place using google search. Works great now and had an Ipod/Aux hook up installed at the same time.

Sounds like your drive gear on the tape motor broke, it happens they get brittle. And the output solder has broken, another common problem with old electronics. All those problems are fixable but rather costly compared to a new deck.

I would try a local place for electronic repair first then try online if they can't help.

Good luck.
    Did a little something new to the wagon today, I didn't tell anyone about this one.
    Had to do a 14.5" Classic Nardi wood grain wheel.
    I took way too many pictures of this after I installed it. (choosing 5 was hard) haha
    346.jpg
    347.jpg
    348.jpg
    349.jpg
    350.jpg
    I had the same problem with my Pioneer/Land Rover unit. I happened to find a factory repair place using google search. Works great now and had an Ipod/Aux hook up installed at the same time.

Sounds like your drive gear on the tape motor broke, it happens they get brittle. And the output solder has broken, another common problem with old electronics. All those problems are fixable but rather costly compared to a new deck.

I would try a local place for electronic repair first then try online if they can't help.

Good luck.

What is the name of the repair service that you ended up using?
  • Lovin' the mustard.
  • RodthevikingRodtheviking Band Wagon
    Roverville.us is their website. I think they will only do "Land Rover" factory decks but could be worth a shot.
  • there are all kind of tricks and tools for 'rusted' connections/screws. patience is one of them (haha)
    as for installing audio in a car. I personally avoid attaching it to a car's 'rigid constructions' amap.
    I dont want the 'energy' of a rough ride transmitted into any of my ice - goes for my speakers too.
    everything has to 'float' as much as possible.

anyway, nice ride, the word vintage(!) pops up : )
    awesome updates, lovin it
    :mrgreen:
    anyway, nice ride, the word vintage(!) pops up : )
    awesome updates, lovin it
    :mrgreen:

Thanks! Yeah I def. wanted people too FEEL like it was vintage. I'm glad you say that.
    Lovin' the mustard.

Would you have any Grey Poupon? :lol: lol
    Roverville.us is their website. I think they will only do "Land Rover" factory decks but could be worth a shot.

Thanks Rod, I really lucked out and found an old man that repairs CB radios just down the road, and has since the early 80's. So inevitably, he is more than comfortable repairing transistors and is ironically very familiar with these old Alpine head units, as he used to have a stereo shop in town in the late 80's. Thanks again for your guidance.
  • gresh125gresh125 Band Wagon
    your seat repairs inspire me. wish I was a little more resourceful
  • Jedi_JeredJedi_Jered Band Wagon
    I love that Nardi wheel, Looks awesome with the shift knob. Good work
    Jedi_Jered wrote:
    I love that Nardi wheel, Looks awesome with the shift knob. Good work
    gresh125 wrote:
    your seat repairs inspire me. wish I was a little more resourceful

THANKS! :lol: I was told by the steering wheel's previous owner that it was built in 1984 and it spent most of its existence in an Alfa Romeo in Japan.
    And the materials for the seat repairs were just another Goodwill find! lol
  • 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    thats sick, now i have some inspiration for my 1986 rt
    1988rt wrote:
    thats sick, now i have some inspiration for my 1986 rt

Thats exciting! We need pics! lol
    Replaced all the O-rings throughout the A/C system, getting ready to vacuum and charge it.
    226.jpg
    227.jpg
    This would be the reason that I had not updated in months.
    228.jpg
    229.jpg
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    Cant believe I haven't commented on your wagon! I love it, the rear seat blanket is so fucken cool!

That Teg looks bloody good too!
  • Nice seat repair!
  • CasiCasi Wagonist
    i love your many little details to the civic! awesome
  • 85wagogo85wagogo Band Wagon
    lol i noticed your combo switch is heal up by a hair tire just like mine. and btw how did you install you edm side marker lights?? i have the exact same 85 wagon like yours. and i have the edm markers but havent installed them yet, i dont want to just drill holes in my fenders. any suggestions?
  • favorite part of this wagon is the jack d bottle cap on the knob for the radio.
  • do the kyb's make the car any lower?