Highly modified 1987 RT AWD

Comments

• ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    Been a while for this one... In semi-interesting '87 RT News today, ol' Walter turned 215,000 on the clock.
    The kicker, you ask?..
    Today would also mark its first rev past 6,000 RPM. (Well, under my ownership anyway)
    Had to put it through its paces to make sure it wasn't TOO OLD! :wink:
    108.jpg
    109.jpg

Video evidence of said rev... :mrgreen:
    OG/ stock 215,000 mile- 25 year old D15A2, 12-Valve, CVCC, blown headgasket, Weber Carb, Wide open throttle, 0-25 MPH, Super Low pull, @6,100 RPM
    110.jpg
  • NCxEE4NCxEE4 Wagonist
    You have my favorite 3rd gen ever. I normally don't even care for them, but damn yours looks good. So much personality.
  • knottyyknottyy Wagonist
    Lovin the photos! That shot with the suitcase on top in front of the yellow field is rad!!! Rapeseed?
    Thanks bunches guys.
    The locals tell me its canola seed, but I have no idea.. lol

Here I have some more photos from my WOTM efforts.
    232.jpg
    233.jpg
    234.jpg
    235.jpg
    236.jpg
    237.jpg
    238.jpg
    Today was the first time my wagon failed to start.
    Apparent dead battery, as I am feeling under the weather this was also the first time I would become frustrated with my wagon.
    I unhooked the battery and threw it on the charger, walked outside 2 hours later.. hooked it back up and the brake lights were on steady..

All the while I'm wondering what this little faggot of a mess is doing on my floorboard.
    252.jpg

This is the little plastic bumper from where the brake light switch's plunger hits the brake pedal.
    Rigged up the quick taped pennies trick, I have had to do this for several of my EF's clutch safety switches and brake light switches.

Funny side fact; The cooling fan cut on steady also for 20 minutes while I was working on it today and I haven't ran the engine in 48 hours. (It was an honest 106º out today with 90% humidity.)
  • btown2389btown2389 Band Wagon
    Dude ur wagon is perfect!! Tears come out my eyes every time I look at this thread
    Thanks buddy. oh come on now, don't cry... haha

this update comes from my other 3rd Gen Wagon actually... (thought this was weird enough to share)
    had a little off road session with mah boys Josh1vtm and BAM and Scrappy.... a few weeks back.
    long story short, it felt like I broke something trying to keep up with Pebbles, Bam Bam, Josh, and Scrappy in my factory/ stock '85 Push Button...
    something serious... my first reaction was bent or broken prop. shaft. (as there was a bunch of vibration and knocking and clunking coming from the undercarriage)
    Jacked her up today to find this....

770.jpg
    771.jpg
    2ft.+ tree branch wedged between the floor pan, muffler, and prop. shaft.
    Sharing some work space and time with Scrappy.
    772.jpg
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    I'm gonna sneak in and paint scrappy before chip pics it up lol
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Paint? Not all one color!!! It's taken a long time to achieve that look.
  • AlaskaB16AlaskaB16 New Wagonist
    I didn't appreciate this thread like I should have when I first started visiting here. Now that I have a little more knowledge about what i'm actually looking at my brain is on sensor overload at the moment. So much radness going on here... Trying to process... Does not compute...
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Charb wrote: »
    I'm gonna sneak in and paint scrappy before chip pics it up lol
    what color would U suggest kind sir...??? FIX THAT RUST TOO..!!!
    bam-bam wrote: »
    Paint? Not all one color!!! It's taken a long time to achieve that look.
    Bam U know im doing the best i can based on my know how & free time or shall we call it ZOMBIE MODE...!!!
  • Ocinawa86Ocinawa86 Band Wagon
    How difficult is it to do the weber 32/36 carb. Conversion?
    pretty straight forward.. just lots of vacuum lines :) 2wd or 4wd?
    took the old header off and patched a few holes and welded up a few cracks, it was in terrible shape.. now it flows well
    372.jpg

josh1vtm and I fooled around with the camera and took a couple of really cool pictures..
    373.jpg
    374.jpg
    375.jpg
  • It's two wheel drive wish it was 4 wheel lol
  • Chaife wrote: »
    Its hard finding cool little goodies for a 3rd Gen. wagon.
    So when I do, I pounce on it.
    like this old under seat tray.

How did you manage with the under seat tray? I have one, but the tray rubs against a bump in the floor ... :(
    The 4WD had an extra vacuum squid/ manifold that was a bit of a booger.. :)

straight forward bolt on tray, mine just lightly brushes against the seat mount in the floor..
    The carb runs rich, so I fouled a plug which isn't entirely too uncommon for my setup. :p (She likes to gobble up spark plugs)
    While I had the car up:
    I broke the carb down and cleaned everything, checked the floats and ported vacuum for proper function.
    Cleaned intake manifold and carb spacer.
    Tested my spark plug wires and coil wire.
    Tossed a New Ignition Coil at it.
    New NGK Spark Plugs.
    New Distributor Cap and Rotor.
    And tuned the carb for winter driving.

Bottom end torque feels great after these changes.
  • I have owned a 1987 Wagovan RT4WD for getting close to a year now and i'm planning on doing some work to it soon. this vehicle is my daily driver with around 115k on the dash currently, but the suspension drives me crazy. did you fabricate the bump stops because they are unavailable or because they are indeed necessary for installation, and if so can i acquire these from you... or could you point me in the right direction as to how i would make these changes to my Honda, because the noise from potholes has been driving me crazy as i live on a gravel road :nightmare:. thanks.
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Really love 3th Gen's!
    jimmyjammera sounds like your front shocks are blown (as mine were when I bought the car). I made my bump stops from stock EG bump stops.

Also, I have lowered my car a tiny bit more. Pictures to come if this weather decides to clear and I have any time before IA.
    Still don't know which cars I should take...
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Chaife wrote: »
    Pictures to come if this weather decides to clear and I have any time before IA.
    Still don't know which cars I should take...

i can help on which cars to bring to IA...

does it have 4 doors and a hatch ...????????? BRING IT
    is it four wheel drive.....????? BRING IT

simply put

ALL the Wagons @ the Honda Rehabilitation Farm.....

627.jpg
  • Hey, Thanks a ton. This car is my daily driver and I intend to ride it out to the bitter end. The Wagovan (aka Sexy Beast) is 'hell on wheels' in the winter time around here, and I plan to restore some life back into it. I'm also trying to get some more pictures up of my personal (and somewhat inexpensive) solution to the lack of sound in the Wagovan, and give a brief tour of the ride in all of its glory. However, it is cloudy and overcast today in MI as well. :miserable: ...
  • posted new pictures today of the Wagovan on my blog. looking snazzy...:encouragement:
    Updated shots. Lowered nearly a 1/2 inch more in the rear..
    901.jpg
    901.jpg
    902.jpg
    903.jpg
    904.jpg
    Messin' around with my camera last week..
    927.jpg
  • That is the cleanest wagon for that year body style.

new desktop wallpaper!!!
    I'll just leave that there..
    7.jpg
  • Sweet 87 bro
    Thanks Man.
    Got some new parts comin' for this beast. Hope they arrive soon.
    524.jpg