Saint Pete Wagon!

Comments

• PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Nice work. Keep at it. I also still have a vc with ur name on it btw.
    .ha
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Thanks man and haha Ill text you about it.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Looks oh so familiar!
  • VladiVladi Senior Wagonist
    Thats damn rusty. Good to see youre getting that fixxed
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Vladi wrote: »
    Thats damn rusty. Good to see youre getting that fixxed
    Yea it sucks. At least it's not as bad as some of the other members rust here.
    Looks oh so familiar!
    Haha it sure does!

Patched the hole today.

Patch I fabricated.
    198.jpg
    199.jpg
    Test fit the patch.
    200.jpg
    201.jpg
    Door I got from LKQ.
    202.jpg
    Prepped the area to weld.
    203.jpg
    204.jpg
    Couple of spot welds to get it in place.
    205.jpg
    Completely welded up. Except for the little holes.
    206.jpg
    207.jpg
    Grinding the welds.
    208.jpg
    Welds ground. Holes welded in.
    209.jpg
    Covered up until tomorrow.
    210.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Had some other issues with the quarter panel so I tackled that today.

Wet rags so the seam sealer doesn't catch on fire when pulling the dent.
    222.jpg
    Pulling dents.
    223.jpg
    224.jpg
    Weapon of choice.
    225.jpg
    226.jpg
    Sanded down to look for problems with the body.
    227.jpg
    Nice couple wipes of Bondo and onto shaping. I'm basically reshaping the the quarter panel. This thing was really beat up.
    228.jpg
    229.jpg
    230.jpg
    231.jpg
    Hate driving the car around like this but it's my only vehicle. I plan on buying a little beater so I can leave the wagon at the shop while I work on it.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Did a polyester tight swipe over the body work and with a little bit more of bodywork, it should be ready for primer. Also, I bought a mighty max today. It's a cool little truck. Now that I have a truck, I can leave the wagon in the shop!
    258.jpg
  • I LOVE these trucks! I had an 87 that was all balls for an AUTO 4 cylinder and it went 359,000 miles before the head gave out. Prior to that I only changed oil and timing belts. Awesome ride!
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    I LOVE these trucks! I had an 87 that was all balls for an AUTO 4 cylinder and it went 359,000 miles before the head gave out. Prior to that I only changed oil and timing belts. Awesome ride!
    Sweet! Mines a 5-speed. I love it! Very fun to drive for sure.

Wagon is getting stripped.
    513.jpg
    515.jpg
    517.jpg
    519.jpg
  • Awesome work, are you keeping the green when you paint it or going back to gold?
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Awesome work, are you keeping the green when you paint it or going back to gold?

Thanks man. As far as color, there is so many possibilities! It's going to be a tough choice.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Not much just more stripping. Just like to keep my stuff documented. ;) Going to chop the rice can Monday finally!
    525.jpg
    527.jpg
    529.jpg
  • YES! I approve of chopping rice cans everywhere!!! Seriously good work going on here. Also interested on what color you choose. I've not had the opportunity to paint a wagon, but if I did I'd go all out and choose a non-stock color to be different.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    YES! I approve of chopping rice cans everywhere!!! Seriously good work going on here. Also interested on what color you choose. I've not had the opportunity to paint a wagon, but if I did I'd go all out and choose a non-stock color to be different.
    Haha I hate it so much. Never had the money to get it replaced. But thanks! As far as color I looked through our Color Max color matching system and found a possible color. Also, I'm totally with you on selecting a different color. I wanna be different from the crowd.
    614.jpg
    615.jpg
    616.jpg
    This color has a wicked flop to it. I'm going to paint some on a spare panel and see how it looks.
    617.jpg
    Some progress.
    618.jpg
    Better looking door.
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    love all the work! But staying with green???

Not my first choice, but I'm fully invested in the results...
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    BillBoard wrote: »
    love all the work! But staying with green???

Not my first choice, but I'm fully invested in the results...
    Thanks man. I'm still not 100% sure on this color. I'm open to ideas if you guys have any other ideas on color.

Not much with the wagon just taking out the latches and random rubber/plastic clips and grommets. But I did get some free tools.
    640.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    So I got a core support from a 1990 civic sedan from my local junkyard. Good news is it should work with some slight modifications! Everything is the same exact measurements except for headlight bucket.
    746.jpg
    T bracket interchanges.
    747.jpg
    Blue tape is the original core support. Problem is the tie bar is to wide. Plan is to cut some of it off but leave a little bit of metal at the edge to replicate the original curvature at the edge by hammer and dolllying it. Sedan Vs Wagon.
    748.jpg
    749.jpg
    Also, the little metal bracket that holds the headlight in place is long as well. So we will just remove the wagons and replace it into the sedans support. Sedan vs Wagon.
    750.jpg
    751.jpg
    After the modifications it SHOULD work. Onto removing the spot welds.
    752.jpg
    Off.
    753.jpg
    We are going to leave the lower tie bar. Shot some weld through primer.
    754.jpg
    755.jpg
  • Knew you'd do it!
  • Nice man, I bet you are happy to soon have a straight front end! I had a friend of mine replace my passenger headlight bucket this year, my headlight housing is still kind of bent but thats an easy fix. Coming along nicely, can't wait for more updates.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Nice man, I bet you are happy to soon have a straight front end! I had a friend of mine replace my passenger headlight bucket this year, my headlight housing is still kind of bent but thats an easy fix. Coming along nicely, can't wait for more updates.
    Thanks man. Oh yea for sure! Looking at it like this for 2 years is painful haha. I saw that. It turned out good. Little bit of tweaking and it will look like nothing happened.
    Knew you'd do it!
    It was going to be near impossible to find one before class ends. Using an EF support was my best bet. Anyways, thanks for helping me out.

Got the other side out and primed. Also detached the welds from the other core support. Didn't think this would of been so much labor. After some hammer and dolly, I should be welding tomorrow.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    In order to get everything as straight as possible, it was necessary to get a new set of headlights reason being mine were all jacked up from the previous accidents.

Olds vs New. Cleanest headlights I've ever seen at a junkyard. These were removed from an 90 Hatch.
    112.jpg
    113.jpg
    Some body work. I'm going to end up priming the whole car so I'm sanding with 280 grit.
    114.jpg
  • Looking good man!! Wish I had the money to work on mine!
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Looking good man!! Wish I had the money to work on mine!
    Thanks man. Money is what I least have lol. But I do Wanna see your wagon finished up dude.

Got the core support welded. Interestingly, we did not have to cut the upper headlight tie bars. Originally, we believed that the extended piece of metal would interfere with the hood but it did not. All that was needed to be done was switching over the headlight bracket place holder piece.
    155.jpg
    156.jpg
    157.jpg
    158.jpg
    159.jpg
    Now we have to clean up the welds and do some corrosion protection. About half the bodywork is done now. Finally, getting close to paint.
  • Good work brotha!
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Good work brotha!
    Thanks my man! Still lots of more work.
  • Just read this whole thread, nice progress man!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    a lot of nice work going on here man ...
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    3rd4ce wrote: »
    a lot of nice work going on here man ...
    Just read this whole thread, nice progress man!

Thanks guys. Nothing much going on. Taking care of some bodywork. After knocking out the rest of the bodywork left on the hood, quarter panel and some more rust repair, primer should be coming really soon.
    321.jpg
    322.jpg
    Little bit more rust found.
    323.jpg
    324.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Patch #2 is done. Need to do some detail grinding with the belt sander.
    405.jpg
    Finished the wheel well up to.
    406.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Worked on the hood a bit.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    Masking off jams and stuff for primer next week.
    4.jpg
    5.jpg
    One of the guys in my class is restoring a classic mustang and is painting it grabber blue. It's turning out great.
    6.jpg
    So I will be priming no later than Tuesday. Can't wait to get some paint on soon.