89 civic wagon! Michhamlin

Comments

• GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Got it :)
    You know how many o-rings? Just complete different sizes and stuff?

I've only done RHD cars which is 9 O rings, about 3 different sizes all up. You should have a similar amount, just take all your old ones with you to the parts shop and match them up with new ones. Make sure you get the AC specific o-rings (they're green).
  • MorhMorh Band Wagon
    You have a nice collection of wheels! Which ones do you plan on using for the wagon?
  • Grifty wrote: »
    I've only done RHD cars which is 9 O rings, about 3 different sizes all up. You should have a similar amount, just take all your old ones with you to the parts shop and match them up with new ones. Make sure you get the AC specific o-rings (they're green).

Man a lot of help! Thanks! I'll let you know what happens
  • Morh wrote: »
    You have a nice collection of wheels! Which ones do you plan on using for the wagon?

I i have other wheels too. I plan on using all of them at least once!
  • drfinkdrfink Wagonist
    looks great man. doing interior work is quite tedious.
  • drfink wrote: »
    looks great man. doing interior work is quite tedious.

Yes it is! But got to for this dream of mine to come true!
  • Honestly considering buying a new compressor kit. It'll blow colder air if it's new right?
  • JHMEE4JHMEE4 New Wagonist
    Damn, sweet wheels. Grifty is correct on the receiver/dryer.
  • JHMEE4 wrote: »
    Damn, sweet wheels. Grifty is correct on the receiver/dryer.

Thanks!

i hope I can find time to put in the ac this weekend, or atleast start! And at the same time clean up the engine bay because it is a mess!
  • Welp, my daily took a dump on me. Fuel pump
    stopped working ....
  • It wasn't pump.... Trying ignition switch.
    What are the symptoms?
    What are the symptoms?

Main in relay is constantly clicking when trying to start car.
    Code 16 of CEl comes on, but then goes away
    fuel pump doesn't prime (already tried swapping fuel pump and the new pump it didn't prime :/ )
    i tested voltage to fuel pump and it was enough

so something isn't giving the fuel pump power

im thinknig inition switch, maybe the relay but I tried the relay in my other wagon and it primes the pump.
    so maybe ecu or inhibition switch.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    I'd try another main relay just to cross it off the list. Also double check your fuse, again just so it's off the list.
    What about when you set it to the "on" position. Do you hear the pump running consistently? I'm wondering if it's a grounding issue on the control side (relay) that's not letting it have constant power.

Think of it this way, when you try to turn on your car tour lights dim or radio shuts off to power the starter, right? Also if the car cranks just fine I'd probably rule out the ignition switch.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Forget what I just said, definitely check grounds. Have you changed your thermostat or valve cover lately?

I left my thermostat ground off last year and it did the clicking a ton thing...
  • Charb wrote: »
    Forget what I just said, definitely check grounds. Have you changed your thermostat or valve cover lately?

I left my thermostat ground off last year and it did the clicking a ton thing...

I have not done any engine work since an oil change and tranny fluid change about 2 months back.

ill check today.
    What about when you set it to the "on" position. Do you hear the pump running consistently? I'm wondering if it's a grounding issue on the control side (relay) that's not letting it have constant power.

Think of it this way, when you try to turn on your car tour lights dim or radio shuts off to power the starter, right? Also if the car cranks just fine I'd probably rule out the ignition switch.

okay, so the car turns over, but code 16 comes up. meaning no fuel to injectors, and the car does not start.
    the pump is not priming at all yet there is power to the pump. i checked with a voltage meter and replaced the pump. when i run a direct power to the pump, guess what, it primes :). but that does not really help ahha. ya the radio and lights turn on. Ill check the harness for the relay, it must be that. it cannot be a complicated solution because the car has always been working fine.
  • I just need this fixed so i can continue my project car! :)
    I mentioned the headlights and radio as an explanation to what might be happening. Not enough power to the relay to keep the pump running during cranking. While it sits in the "on" position there isn't much of a load and can easily energize the relay to then power the pump, but during cranking the battery isn't providing enough power to the relay since it's busy powering the starter.

I don't have a schematic on me to figure out where exactly the issue may be, but I'm putting my bet on a wiring issue. A schematic would make quick work of this. If I remember correctly, it won't prime if the fuel line is already pressurized. Considering that it isn't firing the injectors, possibly due to a fault in the main relay/fuel pump relay, the system is pressurized. In other words no need to prime. I believe I had that issue on my car at one point, turned out I just had to little fuel. Thought it was the fuel pump. I think anyways, it was awhile ago. The relay should still click though, and the fact that the pump has power means that the relay engages enough to power the pump. It's just a little tough to visualize all that's happening while I'm at work and without a schematic, haha. Should probably get to work though, seriously. Haha
  • http://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/checking-main-relay-pics-2535047/
    followed this and it is all clear! So I guess my last choice is ignition switch? Grounds are good, so either something is pulling power and draining everything else or its ignition switch.
  • Got the car started by putting a one way wire from number 1 to 7.
    Pump primed

Then i let it sit, took off the wire and it stayed on for a bit.

I'm gonna say ignition switch .
    I was looking at a schematic later on and was going to post it but yeah, it looks like the ignition switch could be at fault! Contacts inside help complete the circuit. Slipped my mind.
    I was looking at a schematic later on and was going to post it but yeah, it looks like the ignition switch could be at fault! Contacts inside help complete the circuit. Slipped my mind.

Ill replace it today with the hopes that it'll fix this issue so I can move on to what this thread is actually about! Hahha
    thanks your advice was one reason why I tried testing it out.
  • Car starts! Yaay
    it it idles at 3k in park and neurtal. Then when putting in drive or reverse it idles at 1.3 rpm And bogs out and dies When I press the gas.
    Map sensor?
    What? Why would do this out of nowhere? You're only issue was a no start right? And now you change the switch and it won't idle?
    What? Why would do this out of nowhere? You're only issue was a no start right? And now you change the switch and it won't idle?

I didn't change anything haha ill put up a video
  • Issue was fuel pump not priming. Then I got it to prime by putting 1-7 which is battery to fuel pump. So something was not letting it receive power (ignition switch?) I didn't replace the ignition switch because on it started up the idle was insanely high, and then when out into gear and I press the gas car bogs out.

i cleaned throttle body, still thinking of replacing ignition switch for reassurance, but some forums says fuel injectors, dizzy, idle air control valve, vacuum leak.

That's where I am at!
  • Not idle air control valve. Possibly vacuum leak!