1996 RD1 Honda CRV now 1998 Manual CRV

Comments

• Mine has a couple of performance parts on it and the Auto is pretty snappy. I wouldn't get crazy with it thats for sure, but smash the pedal the tranny kicks down pretty good and away she goes, mine however is the non-vtec so there wasn't a lot to play with anyways, I also have a LPG (liquid propane) fuel system fitted which is preventing me from modifying it too much. Granted it would be nicer to have the ability to pick and choose gears, but so far the tranny has held up to the abuse from me. Might want to check the quality of the diff fluid. Mine wasn't changed in over 200,000 kms and was starting to show.
  • Yea all CRV here are non VTEC.
    I have a EK Civic Mugen Intake in the shed as well as a Mugen Twinloop Muffler. Should help wake up the B20 a little.

I agree that the auto is pretty good, but I just feel I would be settling for less than what I want if I gave up and forgot about getting a Manual.
    Plus with Manual there is skope for later on putting a B16a Head on for a laugh/if the headgasket goes.
  • igorigor Band Wagon
    NZ-DB8R wrote:
    for a laugh
    And that's the real reason why we do anything to our cars. :)
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    New owner came and picked it up today, still hunting for a nice manual. May be some time :)
    39.jpg
    40.jpg

A manual one! 1998, 100,000kms, little bit rough but I can fix that.

Will give it a tidy up and get some better pics over easter weekend, have so far installed a BuddyClub Shift Knob. I won the auction for it last night and luckily my parents were visiting the city it was in so brought it back for me today (3 hour drive)
  • It looks pretty clean to me. Is it 2wd or 4wd?
    Has a big dent in the Drivers front guard and a few other smaller ones around it, window trims are peeling back to the chrome underneather and somehow the wing mirrors glass has gone all milky so you cant see much out of them. Just needs some TLC

Its 4WD, the only 2WD ones we got came with the spare tyre inside the car rather than mounted on the back and all ive seen are auto
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    I am starting to quite like crv's and this isnt helping :P
  • NZ-DB8R wrote:
    In a wagon I suggest you hit it at pace :mrgreen:

OMG I love this
  • jasnalljasnall Wagonist
    That's it, I'm renewing my Aussy passport (I was born there) and leaving the US. Our cars are lame. The first CRV has some really cool features.
    666DAN wrote:
    I am starting to quite like crv's and this isnt helping :P
    They are pretty cool, very slow though, even when Manual. But I didnt buy it to be fast just to be useful
    jasnall wrote:
    That's it, I'm renewing my Aussy passport (I was born there) and leaving the US. Our cars are lame. The first CRV has some really cool features.
    Lucky you arnt emplying that NZ is part of Aus! :lol:
    This CRV has similar features, its basically the same just had 5x114.3 Hubs as opposed to 4x114.3 on the prefacelift, is manual, doesnt have OEM GPS (which didnt work) and has a different intake manifold.
    Oh and has same nudge bar but doesnt have the side "wings" with low mounted fog lights. Has high mounted spot lights in front of the grill.

I have a Panasonic CD/DVD player with 7" touch screen to install tonight, will need to get some bits as it currently has the OEM Gathers Radio with optional CD player in the second DIN spot.
    I will give it a wash today or tomorrow and get some pics, Im taking it on holiday on Friday. Will do cambelt when I get back
    Right some more pics, I will just continue to use this thread rather than make another:
    81.jpg
    82.jpg
    Bit of a dent :(
    83.jpg
    84.jpg
    Installed the Panasonic CD/DVD player last night, you literally have to disassemble almost the entire dash to get at it
  • jasnalljasnall Wagonist
    NZ-DB8R wrote:

What do you mean they're not the same? Their accents are the same! :wink:
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    jasnall wrote:

Thems be fighting words :lol:
    jasnall wrote:
    NZ-DB8R wrote:

Remember, I can have you banned :wink: :lol:

Added some EGR Headlight covers I had bought a while ago
    100.jpg
  • Mr GMr G Wagonist
    This is a nice score. Thumbs up. :D
    ^ Will measure up those side markers for you this weekend.

Have just come back from a Holiday in the CR-V and it performed great, will post pics tomorrow but heres one for now:
    284.jpg
    Only really one other pic of the CR-V and thats at our friends new Holiday house:
    308.jpg
    This is the view from the deck:
    309.jpg
    At sunset:
    310.jpg

And the view from the top of Castle Rock in the pic in the previous post:
    311.jpg

Went fishing on my Parents Boat but didnt catch much :( perfect way to spend the Easter Weekend
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    Man oh man! That end of the island is gorgeous!
    It so is, honestly my favourite place in the Country. Ive been camping there since I was about 12, then we did a couple years renting a Bach in Tairua on the other side of the Peninsula and in Febuary the friends we always went with bought that place which in in a Bay called Te Kouma about 6kms south of Coromandel.
    We've all grown up (my brother and our friends 3 sons) but for the most part we all congregate back there once a year.
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    I haven't spent much time up that way (past Taupo) so looking atb these pics makes me want to venture up that way!
    As it stands my favourite place in NZ is the Marlborough Sounds, been there a few times over the years and it is an amazing place.
    Might have to take the wife up that way for the first wedding anniversary.
    You pretty much have to do it, go up from Thames to Coromandel and spend a couple nights there, then travel across the otherside to Whitianga for a couple nights and check ou Cathedral Cove etc before traveling back down through Tairua, Pauanui and Whangamata. Its awesome.
    Isnt much more too see above Coromandel as the road turns to gravel at Coleville
  • Mr GMr G Wagonist
    NZ-DB8R wrote:
    ^ Will measure up those side markers for you this weekend.

No worries take you're time. I appreciate the help. :D
  • AaronAaron Wagonist
    I love how funky/quirky that thing is lol definitely looks like fun
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Is that a mirror just left of center outside the rear windscreen? What does it let you see?
    Is that a mirror just left of center outside the rear windscreen? What does it let you see?

Not much really :lol: Just like the little one of the passengers front guard (drivers side for you LHD people)

You are meant to use it for parking and it allows you too sort of see where the back of the car is, but the spare tyre sticks out further than the mirror can see so it doesnt help much.

Little front one is so you can see the curb when parallel parking.
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    I like the CRV. Bought one last week as a winter/family/daily since the wagon will be getting lots of work done in the next few months to a year. Wish we had the same seats over here. Ours are quite boring.

How much do these "nudge" bar/ bumper piece go for? I want one!!
    I dont know, most CR-V have one. My last one had the optional side bars and some have optional Hoop that goes in front of the grill (around the spotlights on my silver one)

Your ones would likely be the same spec as NZDM ones, boring seats, no nudge bars/spoilers/spotlights and all round pretty basic. I held out until I found a JDM spec one

They are very comfortable to drive just quite slow compared with what Im used to. Great not having a lowered car for once though
    So I removed this:
    433.jpg
    Intake sounds much better now

Also received these:
    434.jpg
    Build quality is amazing, got them on clearance for less than 1/2 price

Also pushed out the dent a little and went and played in some mud:
    435.jpg

And a video I took at the top of Castle Rock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odRG5LE2mrc
    Went to the Beach
    439.jpg
    440.jpg
    Removed spare Tyre Cover to clean it (hadnt been off in a long time and was full of dirt and leaves)