1996 RD1 Honda CRV now 1998 Manual CRV

Comments

• ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Just put these on my V. 16x8 et 30 and they are Forged. Might be something you can get pretty easy where you are at. They came off a BNR32. I got mine for 200 bucks. Just a thought for you if you are looking. Think they look just right on the V.

DSC04036.jpg
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    I can get them but certainly not for that Price, anything GTR over here = $$$$$
    They do look great but I want 15" wheels, GTS-T Skylines come with a wheel that looks the same but is 15x6.5" +45et but thats a bit weak for me.

Do you have any pics that show how much they stick out with that offset? The wheels Im pricing up are available in +28 et and +38et. I was swaying towards the safe option of +38et as here you cant have the tyres sticking out past the guards
    They are expensive here too, but that is where friends and family in Okinawa and free shipping come into play. They dont stick out but the 38 offset would be best. The last set, the Kakimoto's, were 38 offset and they were perfect, but the weather took its toll on the finish. Those being three piece refinishing them was taking up valuable time so I just bought these. I will try and snap a pic for you but since I am lowered these do rub ever so slightly in the rear, and I am running a 215/65/16 if that helps at all.
    Ahhh I see, I can get cheapish shipping from Japan (Have front and rear Cusco strut braces for CR-V on the way) but no that cheap.

Pics would be great! I am going to get some 30mm lift springs , my shocks have adjustable spring perches so I can drop them down 10mm front and 15mm rear which should level the suspension out and raise it only a little.

I am looking at some wheels which are used on Group N rally cars, Speedline 2118. Wanted something sporty but also a little offroad looking.

Also Ive been polishing my headers before I install them. Years of neglect left them tarnished and rather ugly looking:
    51.jpg
    And went for a drive up the coast yesterday:
    52.jpg
    Sorry it took so long. I am horrible at getting pictures, especially when I am busy, but here they are.

Front
    DSC08085.jpg

Rear
    DSC08086.jpg

I do believe the rears would have been fine if it was stock, but being lowered it rubs on turns, or hard bumps. I am about to rectify that by trimming the plastic, and rolling the metal. The fronts as you can see has some poke. Not much, but I am on the limits of what I am allowed to have sticking out past the fender.
    Awesome, exactly what I was looking for.

I couldnt legally run that offset here with a lift and bigger tyres, would need flared guards. So that helps me heaps with my wheel choice
    Fitted the Headers today, same story as the muffler flange. Rusty as!

Ended up snapping one of the spring bolts after getting frustrated and just using brute force. Luckily had a spare

Before:
    774.jpg
    After:
    775.jpg

Can definately feel a bit more oomph down low which is good
    Looks good NZ. I think I am going to modify a set for my wife's V as the CR-Vs are a bit hard to find in Okinawa (so no parts, was also looking for some headers and monsoon guards) where most of my family and friends are. Is the extra "oomph" that noticeable to make this a worthy upgrade?
  • LowFlyin'LowFlyin' Moderator
    I loved my 1st Gen CRV. I had an '01 5-speed RT4WD, except I went the other direction and it was lowered on sticky tires.

The CRV is probably the main reason I picked up my RT4WD wagon.
  • 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    DRMORTY wrote: »
    Well....

again...

You NZers... Are really out to make me want to move down there...

& You SUCK!!! J/K.

GREAT Find.. NICE Ride..

Enjoy it..

:D

X2 to the max looks really nice down there and i spend way to much money trying to find all those cool factory parts
    ragenasian wrote: »
    Looks good NZ. I think I am going to modify a set for my wife's V as the CR-Vs are a bit hard to find in Okinawa (so no parts, was also looking for some headers and monsoon guards) where most of my family and friends are. Is the extra "oomph" that noticeable to make this a worthy upgrade?

They have much smaller diameter tube that other B Series headers to provide more down low, so I dont know how you will get on with B18c ones (I assume thats what you are planing?)
    I didnt pay very much for these so I would say its very worth it! :D

What intake manifold does yours have? The really tall one like my first CR-V? I found that pulled a lot better in low revs than this CR-V with its low type IM. These headers have just made it pull a bit better from down low.
    Its still very slow compared with what Im used to.
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    I loved my 1st Gen CRV. I had an '01 5-speed RT4WD, except I went the other direction and it was lowered on sticky tires.

The CRV is probably the main reason I picked up my RT4WD wagon.

They are a great car, I find it very slow after my ITR and Shuttle though. I dont need to lower it as I have my ITR sitting in the shed waiting for some twisty roads
    1988rt wrote: »
    X2 to the max looks really nice down there and i spend way to much money trying to find all those cool factory parts
    Trust me, I spend just as much time and money as you finding them as well, not every car has them and a lot of people dont know what they have so its hard to find "rare" OEM parts.
    Yeah the Cr-V is not a rocket that is for sure so I am considering a few mods to help her along a bit. Already modified my D16 intake to work on this, and will be custom building an exhaust for it here soon along with some a header. Mine does have the taller intake manifold, and despite the lack of power I can't fault it for that as it has made up for that in reliability. So I am sure the old V will be around for a long time.
    Well headers would be worthwhile. I see on yahoo auctions Japan there are 5Zigen Headers for CR-V from time to time. Brand new though.

I have noticed with mine that the exhaust between the cat converter and the center muffler is quite large, but from there to the muffler its very small. So I am considering making it larger from there back to the muffler.
    I also have a EK9 Mugen Intake which I may use.

Right weather is pretty good now so got some update pics:
    508.jpg
    19mm Ultra Racing rear swaybar next to OEM one
    509.jpg
    19mm Sway Bar installed, bolts straight on and the handling is so much better now. Cant wait for strut braces etc
    510.jpg
    Managed to score this CR-V Roof Console from a freind who had it in his EK Hatch
    511.jpg
    I have been told this JDM Manual CR-V only Cluster is quite rare being "carbon look"
    512.jpg
    My new springs, they are very long compared with the RS*R springs on the Bilsteins currently, so will see how that goes
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    looking good man!
    wish mine only had 104K KM on it.. i got more then 3x that :)

do you know if a B18C oem header would clear? or if there is even any performance advantage to it over the B20B one? i have one laying around that i thought could be good...
    I hunted a while to find a low kms manual one. Not many around. My last one had only done 124kms too and that was a 1996.

B18c headers will bolt to the head, but the bottom section wont clear the transfer case. I also have some B18c headers lying around so I will see if the B18c 4-2 will bolt to the CR-V 2-1 section.
    B18c have larger primary's
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Yeah that would be great, thanks! Anything to get free power :)
  • Right, havnt been doing much with cars, been busy at work/with life but heres a little update:

Fitted some red/clear "EDM style" tail lights:
    115.jpg
    Got a leather weighted Razo shift knob:
    116.jpg
    Cusco Front brace:
    117.jpg
    Cusco Rear brace (havnt trimmed strut covers yet):
    118.jpg
  • The braces help out with the handling of that thing?
  • Couldnt really say, Ive only driven it once and that was just to the shops. Need to get it out of town to be sure. Already handles pretty well (for what it is) just need to get used to feeling like I will fall off of it
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    I want a CRV! Maybe one day....but nice progress man! I love the updates, keep 'em coming!
  • Why do you need a CR-V?! You have a Jeep! It is a good car though, quite versatile.

Went for a drive up into the hills/lakes to test the strut braces, quite a nice difference.
    126.jpg
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    My Jeep is awesome....but it's no Honda! :)
    Havnt been doing much, work is stressing me out and downsizing so have been saving all my money. I had the day off work for a Job interview so made the most of it and went for a drive on the dunes:
    367.jpg
    Hopefully will have some job security in the coming months so will be able to get onto getting this tidied up and finished off
  • beautiful spot and what a great shot, thanks for sharing!
  • Havnt done much to this, been saving saving saving :(

But! I have been searching for appropriate wheels for a while, I wanted 15" and there isnt a lot to choose from in 5x114.3 for a decent price. I decided I wanted to try find some rally car wheels and began searching for Compomotive TH2 or TH3. I found some TH3 brand new for an OK price ($1500) but decided to keep looking.

Eventually I was alerted to a set of Enkei RC-G4 15x7" +50et wheels that had been part of a spares package for a Version 10 WRX rally car and never had tyres fitted, $500! Sold to me

131.jpg
    132.jpg
    P1020455 by db8.typer, on Flickr
    133.jpg
    P1020456 by db8.typer, on Flickr

I also tried on my 98spec wheels, which I quite like
    134.jpg
    P1020459 by db8.typer, on Flickr

Other than that I have had the cambelt changed (didnt have time to do it myself) inner rack ends and tie rod ends due to play and had a wheel alignment. Pretty boring all in all
  • Nice NZ. We just had 15 cm of snow, and I fitted some new tires on the V (thankfully I have my own machines for that because they were giving me grief at the shop about them being big), and had a blast in the thing. Actually got the thing to do some donuts, got a whine in the rear end when the rears engage, but with 215,000kms on it it still gets the job done. Too bad you aren't closer I got a dozen sets of 5x114's not doing a damn thing. Keep up the updates!
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    those 98spec wheels look incredible on there!!! get those naaaaaaaaaaaaooow!!
  • ragenasian wrote: »
    Nice NZ. We just had 15 cm of snow, and I fitted some new tires on the V (thankfully I have my own machines for that because they were giving me grief at the shop about them being big), and had a blast in the thing. Actually got the thing to do some donuts, got a whine in the rear end when the rears engage, but with 215,000kms on it it still gets the job done. Too bad you aren't closer I got a dozen sets of 5x114's not doing a damn thing. Keep up the updates!

Changed the Diff fluid? Made a bigg difference to mine, I will change it again when I do an oil change as it still isnt perfect. What size tyres did you go for?

We dont get snow in my town (do about 2.5 hours away) so the coldest it gets is -4degrees C on winter mornings.
    I dont really need any more wheels, I have 6sets for 2 cars!
    BillBoard wrote: »
    those 98spec wheels look incredible on there!!! get those naaaaaaaaaaaaooow!!
    They are already mine, are the OEM wheels from my ITR. Wont use them on the CR-V as 16" A/T tyres are a lot more $$$ that 15" ones.
    I think the Enkeis will look fine when they have tyres, will get some 15mm spacers as well
    Havnt done much more but got around to painting and fitting the Mugen grill. Had some Silver paint in the shed which is a pretty decent match, will get it redone when I get the dents and scrathes fixed this year sometime:
    80.jpg
    Not sure if I like it or not

Also painted up a spare valve cover to tidy up the engine bay:
    81.jpg
    Was up at the lake Yesterday with my GF, first swim of summer for me (Ive been working :( )
    153.jpg
    Lake Rotoma by db8.typer, on Flickr

Then parked up at the beach about 70kms away where we stopped for a icecream:
    154.jpg
    P1020543 by db8.typer, on Flickr

Mugen Grill is growing on me, I will paint around the vents black I think.

This is the Beach for those interested:
    155.jpg
    Matata Beach 5/1/13 by db8.typer, on Flickr