My $350 wagon project (NEW PICS 12/26/11)

Yes, my friends the price of gas has been killing me for sometime so I decide to purchase a daily beater. I came across a craiglist post for a 91 wagon for $500 obo. The reason why the asking price was $500 was because it had a blown motor. When I was checking out the wagon I noticed it had a couple of problem, first the blown motor, its auto, the ignition would not release the key, radiator did not have any fluid, and a large dent in the driverside fender. The upside to the wagon was it is a clean title, I did a carfax and it was only registered in California and Arizona (NO RUST), has over 15 dealership records of maintains, tags are good till March of 2011, and bone stock in everyway. I ended up paying $350
Its been about 3 weeks since I purchased the wagon and finally found a D16y8 for $200 which included a obd1 distributor, alt, and complete intake mani. My plans are to do a auto to 5 speed conversion and run a stock p28 ecu. I may decide in the future to go with a B series motor so this is why I am doing the obd0 to obd1 conversion. Since I am only looking to daily drive my wagon I decided to go with a DX trans for the long gear ratio. I also found a P28 and a complete obd0 to obd1 engine harness from the Honda Medic. The converted engine harness is super clean and I am very happy. The other small things like 5 speed cluster, shift linage, motor mounts, throttle cable, shift cable, 5 speed starter, 5 speed pedal cluster, either I purchased new or was found on craigslist.
I also spent sometime at my local pick a part and found a clean set of the rear hanger bars. Well, so far so good. I pulled out the blown motor and I was able to sell the auto trans for $150.

I started to install my motor today. The only hard time I had was the rear mount. Everything else was very straight forward. I will update as I go on. Here are some PICS of what I have so far.

98.jpg

234.jpgwagovan.jpg

104.jpg

236.jpg
336.jpg

337.jpg

235.jpg

234.jpg

Comments

• soooo clean
  • NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Love the Shuttle Pro window bars
  • NZ-DB8R wrote:
    Love the Shuttle Pro window bars

So thats the correct name.
  • Are you trying to use the rear mount bracket from your Wagon? If so I think it won't work since your car was an automatic.

I'll be back in a minute with a confirmation (or not.)
  • Auto and 5-speed rear mounts are different:

Auto version - 50810-SH3-985

Manual/5-speed version - 50810-SH3-040

The mount I'm referring to is located at #6 (Honda uses same pic for both manual and auto models, but they are different parts as evidenced by the part numbers)

13sh501_b47.png
  • Come to think of the topside tranny mount (#3/#4 in the pic shown) is also different for manual and auto versions.

Auto version - 50805-SH3-983

Manual/5-speed - 50805-SH3-040

Front mounts are also different: (#16/#17 in pic)

Auto version - 50840-SH3-981

Manual/5-speed version - 50840-SH3-000

What mounts are you using?
  • B18C5-EH2 wrote:
    Auto and 5-speed rear mounts are different:

Auto version - 50810-SH3-985

Manual/5-speed version - 50810-SH3-040

The mount I'm referring to is located at #6 (Honda uses same pic for both manual and auto models, but they are different parts as evidenced by the part numbers)

www.civicwagon.com
    Yes you are correct. I used a 5 speed rear mount and a 5 speed trans mount from a 91 crx. however still took about 15 mins to tighten all the bolts.
  • Haha okay. Just checking. When you said "trouble" I was thinking as in "not lining up" or "this ain't working at all" or something.
  • B18C5-EH2 wrote:
    Are you trying to use the rear mount bracket from your Wagon? If so I think it won't work since your car was an automatic.

I'll be back in a minute with a confirmation (or not.)

I am using a 91 crx 5 speed rear bracket. Thanks for your guys input. Lets hope I have time to finish the swap today
  • wagovanloverwagovanlover New Wagonist
    Beautiful! There are one of these for sale in my area and I thought the color looked like crap but now I might give it another thought. I cant wait to see more!
  • Beautiful! There are one of these for sale in my area and I thought the color looked like crap but now I might give it another thought. I cant wait to see more!

Thanks! I was not a fan of brown but the price was right. I just got home and started on the swap. I ran into a small problem. I am using the stock (D15) headers from the wagon and it is hitting the d16y8 oil pan. Does anyone know if I have to use a different header or change the oil pan?
  • JakerJaker familEE
    You need to use a D16 header.
  • That's going to be a sweet beater when you get it all together!
  • Jaker wrote:
    You need to use a D16 header.

I guessing from a crx 88-91 correct
  • The_Head wrote:
    That's going to be a sweet beater when you get it all together!

thanks. I am really enjoying putting it together.
  • QVO'sWAGONQVO'sWAGON Band Wagon
    Good luck with your car....

we saw the ad for your car and called, apparently the owner didn't take if off craigslist. This was a couple of weeks ago, ad read something like a mechanics dream for 400.
  • QVO'sWAGON wrote:
    Good luck with your car....

we saw the ad for your car and called, apparently the owner didn't take if off craigslist. This was a couple of weeks ago, ad read something like a mechanics dream for 400.

Not to sure if that was the same car but thanks. I had to use a DC header until I find a stock D16 header. Well guys and girls just about done with the swap. I finished repinning the harness, raditor, axles, ac, ps, crossmember, and all i have left to do is throttle cable, adding a hole for clutch cable, and adding mounting holes for the shift linkage. By the way does any one know if i can use a 88-91 CRX stock intake with my set up? Heres new pic

410.jpg
  • I ran into a problem with wiring. right now she needs a good bath and a few hours to check the wiring issues. Letsd hopw I can take care of these problems tomorrow.
  • I had my friend the Honda Medic make a obd0 to obd1 conversion harness which I am very happy with. She gets great mileage. Just got my integra DA floor mats which are a fairly good fit. In the next week are so I hope I have the time to install my new DA integra front seats and i also found a 89 Integra front bumper lip:) here are some pics of my new toys LOL

404.jpg

405.jpg

406.jpg

407.jpg

408.jpg

409.jpg

410.jpg

411.jpg
  • looks very nice! I guess you can't compare how she runs with the new motor since the original was blown. Clean and simple. Question, what did you paint the tranny with, it's so mint looking?
  • Layspeed wrote:
    looks very nice! I guess you can't compare how she runs with the new motor since the original was blown. Clean and simple. Question, what did you paint the tranny with, it's so mint looking?

I used this... I think next time I will use a shade darker paint. Its cool for now.

425.jpg
  • Will have new pics up today of new lip and civic 92-95 4 door floor mats
  • leWolfleWolf Senior Wagonist
    God damn thats so clean!
  • I'm loving the swap
  • God damn thats so clean!
    Thank You. I could not have done it without the HOnda Medics (Alex). Hes the one who did the obd0 to obd1 conversion.
  • Sparkles wrote:
    I'm loving the swap

Thanks, I am proud to say that the car has NO check engines light on. Ohh I was able to install my DA Integra seats, 89 Integra front lip, and I also decided to try 92-95 civic sedan floor mats. They dont look to bad. here are the pics. Thanks for the support.

466.jpg

467.jpg

468.jpg

469.jpg

470.jpg
  • CarGuyCarGuy New Wagonist
    How did you get the lip to fit? Any mods or just screw right in?
  • CarGuy wrote:
    How did you get the lip to fit? Any mods or just screw right in?

the lip needed to be cut about two inches on each side. the mounting holes lined up except for the side last couple on the side of the lip.
  • How many people use 87 oct. in their single cam motors?
  • jameskjamesk Wagonist
    Did you do the 5 speed swap? I'm looking to do one in the future as well and I'm pretty scared.

Do you think the 5 speed parts from an ef hatch would work?