Wago-camper build thread

Comments

• eckoboteckobot New Wagonist
    loving your posts!! been thinking about yr projects in a little different way.......
  • the only thing i think you are missing on this is a utility/tool box on the front. That would be perfect, keep a bit of clutter out of the inside of the towed wagon.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    503Wagovan wrote:
    the only thing i think you are missing on this is a utility/tool box on the front. That would be perfect, keep a bit of clutter out of the inside of the towed wagon.

Negative. Tongue weight is a problem already. Usually there's nothing in the front of the camper but mattress anyway,I keep any weight to the rear.

Bob (the guy with the red RT/ red hatch trailer @ IA last summer) has an aluminum pickup tuck toolbox on the tongue of his trailer. Waaay too much weight IMO. Looks like he's poppin' a wheelie all the time.
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    bam-bam wrote:
    503Wagovan wrote:
    the only thing i think you are missing on this is a utility/tool box on the front. That would be perfect, keep a bit of clutter out of the inside of the towed wagon.

Negative. Tongue weight is a problem already. Usually there's nothing in the front of the camper but mattress anyway,I keep any weight to the rear.

Bob (the guy with the red RT/ red hatch trailer @ IA last summer) has an aluminum pickup tuck toolbox on the tongue of his trailer. Waaay too much weight IMO. Looks like he's poppin' a wheelie all the time.

Might try adding a hitch to the wago-camper and add a carry all on the ass with a reciever, so it is removable... ;)
    It is definitely better to have the weight behind the axle, but you have to remember that it's a Civic towing this junk. I'm on the ragged edge of its capability every time I go out with this thing. I don't even buy food,drinks, ice, anything 'til I get where I'm going.
    bam-bam wrote:
    It is definitely better to have the weight behind the axle, but you have to remember that it's a Civic towing this junk. I'm on the ragged edge of its capability every time I go out with this thing. I don't even buy food,drinks, ice, anything 'til I get where I'm going.

LOL.. Guess it's time to build up the Tow Wagon... B-Series? F-Series? H-Series? K-Series? v8? Anything is better than towing with a D-Series...
    file.php?id=3883
    I want one of those Peas from your Pod...
    DRMORTY wrote:
    bam-bam wrote:

LOL.. Guess it's time to build up the Tow Wagon... B-Series? F-Series? H-Series? K-Series? v8? Anything is better than towing with a D-Series...

I want to try it with a D, but it won't be NA :twisted:
    Trade you a JRSC for your wago-camper? LOL (save me from having to make mine own)
    I would even through in another wagon shell for you to make another one... LOL ;)

J/K

I am really close to starting my Wago-Camper Conversion... I can't wait to make the first cut...

I am using the perfect Blue Wagon interior in my EF hatch.. Because I haven't seen anyone do that conversion & I have it laying around...
  • bam-bam wrote:
    503Wagovan wrote:

oh i assumed you had something other than a D in that engine bay!
    bam-bam wrote:
    503Wagovan wrote:

Is there any pics of the Red Hatch Trailer?

I might just have to do a CRX-Camper... I do have a shell that I need to get rid of...
  • bam-bam wrote:
    slide7229 wrote:
    maybe i missed this on the the other pages but i wanted to kno if u thought of keeping the nose for extra leg room when u sleep? or woeld it have been too much weight for the wag to haul?

I'm like 5'6". I actually would've liked it to be even shorter to cut down the tongue weight.
    dam and i thought i was short lol... i thought the weight of the nose may have been an issue. its pretty awesome as hell . now put in a moonroof and sleep under the stars lolol hmmm come to think of it that might not be that much of a joke. that might save u some weight. lmao
  • RevmaynardRevmaynard Council Member
    Just so you guys are clear, he's got an ls in his wagon......on the bottle. :p
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Revmaynard wrote:
    Just so you guys are clear, he's got an ls in his wagon......on the bottle. :p
    LMAO @ on the bottle... :lol:
    we followed or road with him n tow and its all u can do to keep up.... :roll: :arrow: and he calls
    bam-bam wrote:
    I'm on the ragged edge of its capability every time I go out with this thing. I don't even buy food,drinks, ice, anything 'til I get where I'm going.
    :arrow: he waits cause he wants his beer cold i thought.. :lol:
  • thats it, you need a box on the roof behind the axle, tradeoff...
    stuff it'

aircooled beer !!! coo !!!

ps. engine upgrade too uh?
    :mrgreen:
  • 88 wago88 wago Wagonist
    here is some pictures at IFO for you
    78.jpg
    79.jpg
    thanks! Just when I think everybody's seen it...it drew quite a crowd. A show judge told me I should stick around for the awards, but I needed to get on back home.
  • 88 wago88 wago Wagonist
    yea i left early too but there is another picture on v2lab but i didnt save it .. hope i can get my wagen to IA ALT but we will see!!!!!!!!
  • bam-bam wrote:
    503Wagovan wrote:

Hey Bam, this is Doug, I bought the Red RT/hatch trailer from Bob back in February. I've always been curious, were involved in the build of Bob's trailer, or was that all Bob?

It's a cool little trailer, one day I'll have to get some more pics and start up a thread. (I had a ton of pics but my phone was stolen.) The trailer is now legally titled and registered in NC, all I had to do was apply for a VIN number, stamp it into the tongue and axle, and get all the tail lights, brake lights, and turn signals working.

I was reading what you said about making the wheels and body lines of the trailer match up to those of the wagon, and that's exactly what I've been trying to accomplish with mine.

First up was the wheels. They didn't match at all when I got it. I had a set of 4 Integra LS wheels, powdercoated in a deep vermillion red with bronze flake. I wasn't crazy about buying 2 more and trying to match the color... But I got lucky, kinda. I found a set of 3 LS wheels, powdercoated black. So the left side of the car and trailer has black wheels, right side has the deep red ones. Good enough for me.

The angle on the tongue is all kinds of crazy, and with stock springs and no interior, exhaust, or fuel tank, the trailer sat WAY high.... sorry about the crappy cell phone pics.

(before)
    431.jpg

Check out that fender gap!! and notice the whole trailer leans forward, like its about to nose dive into the street.

My old room mate left me a set of eBay coilover sleeves, so they went on the trailer. They are set about as low as they will go. It doesn't seem to bounce around much at all, and the body lines line up a lot better. Not perfect yet...

(after)
    432.jpg

As far as the engine goes.... I don't know who worked on that thing, but man, it was rough. Timing belt was set wrong, trans mount bolts were nearly destroyed, and at least half the bolts on it were loose. The rest were either WAY too tight, or missing altogether. There were several cross-threaded bolts as well. The worst ones were the coolant drain plug on the block, and the number one spark plug. So that engine came out, and I swapped in the D16Z6 from my old del Sol. (I'm the guy that wrote that big write-up/parts list for the swap) I thought the trans was toast, because it loved to grind in nearly all gears, but after fixing the trans mount, all the grinds are now gone. (the shifter cables are mounted to the trans mount, and since the whole shit was loose, they weren't operating within the intended range)

Anyway, sorry to rant on and possibly jack your thread. Nice wagon/trailer!
  • BTW you may notice the rear of the wagon still sags a little. I recently solved this problem by accident. When I moved, i used the trailer to haul some stuff. The last things to go were two D-series Hydro transmissions. I got lazy and just left them there, but I noticed with the trasmissions pushed all the way back near the hatch(behind the axle), it acts as a kind of lever, lifting just a little weight from the tongue. Enough to level out the back of the wagon nicely, haha!
    Good stuff, man. Check my cnotecivic build thread to see the adjustable rear struts I did to raise the rear of the towing wagon.
  • bam-bam wrote:
    Good stuff, man. Check my cnotecivic build thread to see the adjustable rear struts I did to raise the rear of the towing wagon.

I was looking through that thread last night. Got a little tired though, and didn't make it to that part.... heheh. I'll look around today.
  • i wish i had the skills and money to do the things that alot of people do on this forum grats on a fine camper looks very very nice mabe one day my wago will look nice like that to
  • cmyrexcmyrex Band Wagon
    Its a VW Jetta wagon from Europe I think. I like the caskets on top! :wink:

by caskets you mean sarcophugus. very egyptian
  • josephisjoejosephisjoe New Wagonist
    now looking for a wagon shell, in blue, and gonna copy bam bam to every detail.
    Bam Bam, you are my wagohero.
  • hey bam if you want to make another i would be in the market to buy this .. keep what you would like out of it .. and would give you a chance to make another
    Aw, I don't reckon it's for sale just yet. We're enjoying it...

Here's getting ready for our Florida trip starting tomorrow.

38.jpg

and the tow car.

39.jpg

mileage is gonna suck. probably 18ish mpg, but the lodging is cheap!
    ya, and there is a waiting line for Bam's wago-campers.... lol!!!
  • hey bam il trade you my 97 nissan hardbody truck .... 5 speed 4 banger for it . extended cab and LWB plenty of pulling power lol
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    This might be in here somewhere already; I only got three pages in before bedtime, lol!

[iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_WA2sGbKcsE"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen][/iframe]

For some reason I can't that to embed properly so here's the link:

http://youtu.be/_WA2sGbKcsE

(hell of a photoshop job, huh?)