prennro's new wagon

Comments

• PrennroPrennro Council Member
    HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY! Thank you to all of those who have served and/or currently serve our country! I am thankful and appreciate your service!

Spent some time working on stripping and refinishing a personal steering wheel I got from Billboard a while back.

It had some minor blemishes and wear spots, but I really was wanting to try and match my lighter wood grain theme of my custom wood accessories.

Included my shift knob in pics for color reference I was shooting for (see before/after pics below).

Apparently those Italians use many layers of good quality clearcoat! Sanded so much, I instantly got this:
    894.jpg

Before on top. After sanding down to raw wood below:
    895.jpg
    896.jpg

Not sure what kind of wood them Italians use to make these wheels out of, but def a tight grain dark wood. Im afraid that once I add a clear coat, I think it is going to make the wheel a lot darker than what I was attempting to achieve. Oh well, still think it will be a little bit lighter than the original when all is said and done. Plus the minor blemishes have been fixed.

*Edit*
    Here is the final. Maybe a tad lighter than the original after after 5 coats of clear
    897.jpg
    898.jpg

Will work on getting it all mounted up in a few weeks. Still gotta make a wider ring for my horn button. Will attempt to make one out of wood, naturally. :devilish:
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    DUDE!! that is awesome! looks so good! where'd you find your that horn button???
    Even though we live in the same city, I finally just met rbwdriven today when i met up with him to drop off 2 original wagon axles that I wont be using with the new swap.

Got back to the house and decided to touch up the paint on the front bumper from all the rock chips over time. Its been buggin me for a while.

Duplicolor doesnt make any touch up for the OEM Honda Almond Cream YR-88, but I have found that Duplicolor's Santa Fe Tan is pretty damn close.
    931.jpg

Now I wouldn't go doing some major touch up to a fender or hood, but I have used it for accessories with good results.
    Sprayed some in a powerade cap and used a small paintbrush to apply 3 coats to the areas where the paint had chipped. Worked like a charm.

Before and After:
    932.jpg
    BillBoard wrote: »
    DUDE!! that is awesome! looks so good! where'd you find your that horn button???

Online somewhere....had it a long, long time. Saw one on an eg and I searched for months to find one. Got it to put on my EG, but ended up keeping my EG steering wheel stock. Doesnt quite fit the Personal wheel, but Ill work on getting it to fit. Did you run a horn with that wheel/hub setup?
    Prennro wrote: »
    Online somewhere....had it a long, long time. Saw one on an eg and I searched for months to find one. Got it to put on my EG, but ended up keeping my EG steering wheel stock. Doesnt quite fit the Personal wheel, but Ill work on getting it to fit. Did you run a horn with that wheel/hub setup?

I actually never installed the wheel on my vehicle---- but before you go making custom rings or what not, bolt steering wheel to hub and then try installing your horn button, the hub may help fit the horn button if that makes sense, or doesn't, it may when you give it a try......
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Steering wheel and touch-up paint look fantastic! Nice job!
  • rbwdrivenrbwdriven Senior Wagonist
    Yep I was good to meet you yesterday.

Thanks again for the axles.

Like we said yesterday kind of mind numbing to be so close to each other then to the MEGA YODA. I know zcpower is near you as well.
  • mr horsepowermr horsepower New Wagonist
    How are you liking the braille b2015? I have been thinking about getting one and was wondering if it does everything you want it to?
    How are you liking the braille b2015? I have been thinking about getting one and was wondering if it does everything you want it to?

Love it so far. Cranks fine and have even sat for about an hour just listening to the stereo (small amp and one 10" sub) with no issues so far. I do throw on the trickle charger if its going to sit for more than a week without running.
  • MexiChriSMexiChriS New Wagonist
    Lots of mods and work. Keep at it
  • BrIaN_EE4BrIaN_EE4 Wagonist
    the wagon is looking TITS!!!
    Thx guys! Ill be back tinkering on her soon enuff
    Welp, I got back to tinkering and thanks, yet again, to the "Marietta Network" I got a lead and picked up a B16 cable tranny with LSD.

After some degreaser and brake cleaner, she was ready for install
    396.jpg
    397.jpg

With tranny installed, I installed the fuel filter with B&M Pressue Gauge I have had for a while.
    398.jpg

Also took some aluminum bar and fabricated a support bracket for my AEM short ram intake.
    399.jpg

Short Ram Installed
    400.jpg

Got wagon out late last night for a test drive. Everything seems to be fine. Tranny shifts really smooth and is pretty peppy with the shorter gearing and the 4.4 final drive. Not near as short as the 4.7 specR hydro tranny I had planned to install, but a lot less hassle and a great compromise. Brakes still not fully releasing after hard use, so will need to address those in the near future. Gonna try and get my hub and refurbished wheel installed this weekend. Stay tuned!
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    Very nice!
    As promised, I finally got the Personal wheel mounted and even got the OEM Honda Momo horn button working as well.

Billboard, your suggestion on the horn mounting ring was right so didn't have to make wooden ring, but had to use my existing hub, as the Boss hub was too long and didn't have the horn contact ring with it. I also swapped out the brass mounting bolts with black allen heads. This one is a bit larger than the wheel that came with the wagon, so will see if I get used to the larger Personal one.

Gonna refirb the smaller wheel now that its off. It needs a lot of TLC.

I will get some better pics during the daytime (sorry for the grain), but here are some from tonight in the garage after getting it mounted up.
    409.jpg

410.jpg

411.jpg
  • SWEEEEEET wheel man.
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Grippin the grain!
    Since installing the Wilwood kit, I was having some pad dragging under very basic braking. Although I used the install instruction sheet below when I did the initial install, something still just didn't seem right. With the hopes to start driving the wagon daily, I took the time tonight to reinspect the brakes.

1990-1994 Acura / Civic (4 Lug) instructions for Wilwood Dynalite Front Brake Kit with 12.19" rotors (part# 140-6163)
    http://wilwood.com/PDF/DataSheets/ds375.pdf

After a call to Wilwood tech support and upon closer evaluation, I notice that the rotor was not tracking evenly thru the calipers. After bolting, unbolting, and measuring many different combinations of the supplied washers and shims to the calipers and to the mounting brackets, I finally found a combination that spaces/aligns the rotor in the calipers evenly. My test drive confirms this bolt-up combination and has alleviated the pad/caliper drag. The info below maybe TMI for most followers, but I am mainly posting for my own future reference!

I have supplied the Factory Diagram from the Wilwood link above and a modified diagram to my Wagon-friendly combination below.

Started with this hardware:
    482.jpg

Wilwood's Factory Expanded Diagram
    7.png

My Setup. I ended up relocating the usage of the #2 washer and not using #13 shims or optional 2a washer.
    8.png

Final bolt up of Drivers side for my own future reference...
    483.jpg
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    He who has the best documentation, wins!
    He who has the best documentation, wins!

....and is able to put things back together, correctly, if its ever taken apart. :encouragement:
    Prennro wrote: »
    ....and is able to put things back together, correctly, if its ever taken apart. :encouragement:

and

Not have spare parts :)
    Nice work sir! Love this build.
    love the wheel!!!... and great info on anyone looking to install Willwood brakes, Prennro has done all the work for you!
  • RoRoRoRo Wagonist
    holy fCUK that wheel is amazing
    SWAP NOTES

Since completing my swap, I have had a handful of people ask me questions and advice on the specific swap. I will first say that I am no expert and this was my first OBD0 to OBD1 motor swap. I know there are many different variations on how to do this swap and many different articles that cover this. Trust me, I have read them all and taken bits and pieces from each. In addition to what's already out there, I made my own notes, took some of my own pics, made some of my own diagrams and documentation that was specific to my situation based on my starting point, availability of compatible parts and things needed to complete the swap. I took all of my notes and organized them into my own order and steps. I have since "cleaned" them up and did my own write up.

Special Thanks to Bam Bam, TerminousVox, and FakeJDMEF8 for their input, references and personal lessons-learned while doing the swap! Thanks again for your open willingness to share!

Hope this write up is able to help some of you entertaining this same swap for your wagon!
    286.jpg
  • PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    i wanna make babys with your wagon... i wish my interior was that clean!
    Mine's ready for breeding. Just lmk when urs is in heat. Ha
    really good read on the google doc.

your one fart smella.

Oops...

I mean smart fella.
    Custom ground cables
    6.png
    Those ground cables are the shizz... Awesomeness!