British Build! - RT4WD Time Attack Build! - TWIN CHARGED

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    time for an update...

Finally got hold of a D16A9 Sump in good nick! Paid a decent price that i was very happy with.
    364.jpg

Also had some visitors at Wagon Attack HQ!
    365.jpg
    366.jpg

Visitors meant more goodies had arrived...

MB6 1" MC
    367.jpg

Low mileage D16Z6 Long Block.
    368.jpg

Now the rush is on to get the engine bay prepped for paint. With the car now 10ft outside my front door..,I try to spend a good hour a day/night on it.
    369.jpg

I was toying with cutting a piece of the slam panel out for future inter cooler clearance, as well as charge cooler pipe clearance. so i decided to cut a small section out either side, without the cuts being too destructive.
    370.jpg
    371.jpg
    372.jpg

And the painstaking process of sanding the bay down, all the nooks etc. ive also been removing the seam sealer in preparation for spot welding.
    373.jpg
    374.jpg
    375.jpg

And thats up to date as of 24th May

DONT FORGET!

you can watch the VLOG Series of THIS build here! ----> https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1hDBwaePXhwZEMr9jgWqazPoJGFWhinD

And for anybody looking for the original pictures of the builds from years back, ive dug out the backup discs and uploaded all the albums to the Facebook Page for easy viewing, These can be viewed here ----> https://www.facebook.com/WagonAttackUK/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

:top:
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Slow progress...Had to wait for Pay Day!

39.jpg

ordered a welding in -10 fitting for the sump oil return for the Turbo (And a Bung for now until Turbo arrives...)
    40.jpg

Finally got the welder round to get the seam welding done! overall im happy apart from the strut towers - Bit messy for my liking and reasling now that they didnt need to be done in the engine bay as we welded the main plate from underneath...so going to crack the dremel out with some carbide burrs and try and make it look OEM again.
    41.jpg
    42.jpg
    43.jpg
    44.jpg
    45.jpg
    46.jpg
    47.jpg

Had the engine mounts welded aswell, as these commonly brake off under track abuse
    48.jpg

It also appears the front passenger side HAS been in an accident at some point having the entire from LH panel replaced. Lack of seam sealer between the seams set alarm bells off - it has however been done to a good standard :) (Drivers side however was a nightmare due to all the seam sealer between the panels)

Paint soon.... :drivegear:
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    Lol looks like the new garage came with a boost in video production value as well. Bull bar looks great.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    So welding done...time now to clean it all up ready for paint!

Drivers wheel arch
    128.jpg
    129.jpg
    130.jpg

Drivers side engine bay
    131.jpg
    132.jpg

Passengers wheel well
    133.jpg
    134.jpg

a lot of people have questioned the way i have done the welding...Spots opposed to stitches. It doesnt matter which way its done - Ive seem alot of the "Hardcore" time attack cars done the way i have done it. And it was the look i was going for!
    135.jpg
    136.jpg
    137.jpg

138.jpg

:top:
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Good stuff mate!!

The stitch welding is 100% worth it, did it on my car and it's made a huge difference in stiffness.

I'm not sure if you're going to be definitely get some seam sealer on all the welds!

Is the JRSC still going into this?
  • Love it as always. If you could just balance the audio on the videos a bit better it would save the hell out of my ear drums though. I have to turn it up a good deal to hear you talk and then I get blasted out of my seat with the music. Fantastic work, definitely lots of good ideas here for when I do a full on engine swap and bay cleanup.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    JRSC is going back on - Should be running 10psi with decent IAT's with the chargecooler. Something else will be going on aswell...
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Agreed, But i think its Youtube thats messing it up as the render sounds fine :/
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    had an hour after work today.

147.jpg
    148.jpg
  • So nice. Makes me want to strip mine down to the bone and do some of this.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    So thanks to Anglian water for digging up the road right outside our hose until late in the night, it masked all the compressor/ air tools/ grinder noises... So i spent an extra hour getting shit done!

160.jpg
    161.jpg
    162.jpg
    163.jpg
    164.jpg
    165.jpg
    166.jpg

Getting there!
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    More Prep...
    241.jpg
    242.jpg

243.jpg

After cleaning up the subframe mounts ready for paint...found this...
    244.jpg

So had that fixed... And some other bits i found aswell.
    245.jpg

And had turbo oil return welded into the sump - opted to have it done inside and out to prevent any oil leaks.
    246.jpg
    247.jpg

More work tomorrow - hopefully paint next weekend :top:
  • Nice as always
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Episode 21 of Wagon Diaries! No wagon this week. Trackday in an EC9 Dual Carb!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvYsf2bkeeU
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Nice as always
    Thanks! Making quick progress :)
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Another day, another update!

282.jpg

you WILL be some-what finished today...
    283.jpg

Drivers inner arch etch primed
    284.jpg

285.jpg

seams primed, Then coat of seam sealer, then another coat of primer on top to seal.
    286.jpg

Since im not going turbo right away, got a nice AN Bung for the sump.
    287.jpg

288.jpg

And that's it! bar another coat of primer in some places as I ran out at the time. She is ready for paint...Hopefully next weekend! guesses on the colour??
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    good new ep! I just noticed your wheel on the beater looks stock but has stitching. Whats going on there? is it wrapped or is it fake stitching into the rubber mold?

That sump looks just like mine! with a nice AN cap!
  • superhatchsuperhatch Moderator
    i'm on a 3 hour flight at the moment and was looking for something to watch on Youtube!

Just checked in on page 13, but I'll start the vlog from #1.
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    Good job :encouragement:
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    PAINT DAY!!!

Aaran working his magic...
    52.jpg

Boom!
    53.jpg
    54.jpg
    55.jpg
    56.jpg
    57.jpg

time to start putting it back together :OD
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    88.jpg
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Episode 22! bay finally painted

• GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    So, colour pictures...

Colour is "Mouse Grey", or battle ship grey as i will call it...

108.jpg
    109.jpg
    110.jpg
    111.jpg
    112.jpg

1" Master cylinder polished (Still needs finishing)
    113.jpg
    114.jpg
    115.jpg
    116.jpg
    117.jpg
    118.jpg

Boom!
  • SwedginSwedgin Band Wagon
    unbelievable progress. cant wait until your engine bay is complete!
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    155.jpg

Finally got the new engine on the stand...lets get this thing built!
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    So update 2 of today, got bored so spent 30 minutes in the garage tearing the block down!

156.jpg
    157.jpg
    158.jpg
    159.jpg
  • Do it to it, awesome progress!
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    :twisted:

Engine appears to have been Dual Carbed at some point, pretty carboned up!

168.jpg

So out came the tools and elbow grease...
    169.jpg
    170.jpg
    171.jpg
    172.jpg

Lick-o-paint.
    173.jpg
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    More Paint...

186.jpg
    187.jpg