Hydraulic SOHC S22 AWD transmission discussioon

Ive been on the hunt for a good condition 4wd transmission for the past year with no luck. So recently ive been pondering the jdm Awd transmission, the S22, as a substitute.

I know that there's a thread where some dude had one, but it never concluded if its a direct fit in our USDM wagons and more importantly, if anyone has *actually* made the switch.

Things to know:

I have a JDM dohc ZC, innovative steel mounts, and will be using the hush22 bracket to convert to hydro....
Can anyone chime in on this? I'm getting desperate for a new transmission....

Thanks

Comments

• lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    I'm curious as well...
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Well it fits the DOHC ZC so it should but that's not good enough. ThatDoodle should know...
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    What vehicle did this transmission come in?
  • It came in jdm awd civic's and integra's, there is one on ebay right now http://www.ebay.com/itm/221065551094?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649. It would be great to know if this will bolt up, I would love to go to a hydro tranny!
  • FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    I need one first!

Can anyone confirm if it will work?!?
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    FakeJDMEF8 wrote: »
    I need one first!

Can anyone confirm if it will work?!?

If it is the same as this gearbox i dont see why it should not work, cable shifter looks the same.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-GEARBOX-4WD-CONVERSION-EK9-EG6-INTEGRA-B16A-B18C-K20A-/221072341660?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3378f03a9c#ht_1720wt_1144

although it doesnt have the SL gear iirc?

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_block_selection_C30.php?mod_01=15098

They look very similar according to these diagrams (scroll to the bottom)

If that one on ebay drops in price i might grab it.

I believe the front tranny mount wont fit, i dont know about the one that mounts to the chassis though. maybe looking through those diagrams can help you.
    So I'd assume the flywheel would be the same as a rt 89-91, but what clutch and throw out bearing would be used? That seller on eBay is completely worthless....
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    I guess a normal EG clutch kit & throw out bearing would suit??
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    The clutch is probably the same, but be careful of the release bearing. That's the one difference in an RT from all the other dseries clutches.
    I'm ready to pull the trigger one one of these. Anyone else out there have anyyyyy experience with them!!? I'll be using a hush22 kit and fidanza fly. Hopefully the rt release bearing (?!?!!!?) and eg clutch....
  • 88awdrt88awdrt Band Wagon
    Let me know how it goes i'm interested
  • laffwagonlaffwagon Band Wagon
    I just picked up an s22 and came across the same issues. I had to order new t-bracket and rear chassis mount. 89-91 trans mount bolts to s22, shift cables mount up okay. I'm down to which clutch release bearing and clutch kit to use. Oh and figuring out how to get speed sensor(electric) and cluster(cable) synched
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    laffwagon wrote: »
    I just picked up an s22 and came across the same issues. I had to order new t-bracket and rear chassis mount. 89-91 trans mount bolts to s22, shift cables mount up okay. I'm down to which clutch release bearing and clutch kit to use. Oh and figuring out how to get speed sensor(electric) and cluster(cable) synched

Great to see finally someone doing it!!! Please keep us posted with results, how the gearbox feels etc.

Are you not able to bolt up the cable sensor into the gearbox?
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    count splines too, 88 stuff was 21. that's about all you really need. anything else should fit as far as clutch goes
  • Yeah, I have an 88 cable trans that went to s*it. Was just curious to input shaft size as I know the cable rt trans has a larger diameter than hatch or sedan or same body style. Guess I could take the bearing in when I try to order the clutch kit.... will post pics when parts are in.
  • Update** came to a stopping point on this swap. The throw out bearing is Awd specific. And I am going to need a rear crossmember or some superb Fab work to make rear t-bracket mount up. I would post pictures of these dilema's but my car is now in storage as I moved and no longer have garage access.
  • andys91andys91 Band Wagon
    Well that sucks! I really hope you get that straightened out.....
  • Damn thats not good to hear! hope you get things sorted soon, I really want to know how these boxes compare to our ones.
  • Though I might also add the original part number for the release bearing in case any one needs it, its 22810-P22-008.
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Any updates?
  • wagoneer77wagoneer77 Band Wagon
    I am getting ready to put my swap back in but I will be installling an S22 transmission I think I have everything figured out. I'll post pics as to the progress. It could be a week or so. I can tell you from the links Grifty posted the 92-95 uses an automatic transmission mount from a US dx car for the s22 mount. So we will see what is up Also I am gonna use the Hasport hydro trans mount kit too. So check back for updates
  • GriftyGrifty Wagonist
    Sweet cant wait for more updates!
  • More updates when you can. I bought one as well.
  • I am also very interested in this topic, I bet these you can still get rebuild kits for from honda Japan they had them on quite a few cars
  • I have tried honda Japan and you can not get any rebuild parts apart from bearings.

There are still parts available for the S22 hydraulic one, im curious to see if the gears and synchros are the same.

They share virtually the same part numbers except for the chassis code. Has anyone pulled both boxes apart and inspected?

For example

EG RTSI S22

23431-P22-000 2nd gear
    23521-P22-315 1st-2nd synchro set

RT4WD L3

23431-PH8-901 2nd gear
    23521-PH8-505 1st-2nd synchro set
  • Grifty wrote: »
    I have tried honda Japan and you can not get any rebuild parts apart from bearings.

There are still parts available for the S22 hydraulic one, im curious to see if the gears and synchros are the same.

They share virtually the same part numbers except for the chassis code. Has anyone pulled both boxes apart and inspected?

For example

EG RTSI S22

23431-P22-000 2nd gear
    23521-P22-315 1st-2nd synchro set

RT4WD L3

23431-PH8-901 2nd gear
    23521-PH8-505 1st-2nd synchro set

That's the one I was talking about. I may just purchase a synchro set and see Jo
    Updates. Finally got a transmission. Financial problems. Hope to get it together and set in tomorrow. Fingers crossed as to how many tries it will take. I'll post pics as it happens. Stay tuned for big updates.
    Was working on it yesterday and encountered another problem. The rear t mount bracket is specific to this vehicle. Gonna see if I can make one like the Hasport cable to hydro transmission one for other d series. I'll keep everyone updated this week.
    T mount is done. I'll post pics tomorrow night. You can use the Hasport d series cable to hydro mount kit and modify the existing one or if I could get enough interest I could possibly produce a mount kit for this conversion.