Towing Discussion

Comments

• LSwagon wrote:
    www.civicwagon.com

would you be kind to take a close up pic of your tow hitch coz im planning to put one. id like to hook up a bike rack on my waggy.

thanks in advance
  • I don't think you'll get a reply. That post is from april '07 and it doesn't look as though he's active on here. :?
  • oh ok thanks for the info.
  • I don't think you'll get a reply. That post is from april '07 and it doesn't look as though he's active on here. :?

do you have any ideas on tow hitch for our waggy? coz i found one but its a tongue and nto a reciever hitch. i always wanted a receiver hitch.

thanks in advance
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    I've only ever seen tongue hitches for wagons. Had one on my 91 FWD. I had to remove the bumper and drill 3 holes through the spare tire well to bolt it on. Don't remember where I got it or what the weight limits were (was 5 years ago). I do remember I towed a small trailer with my motorcycle on it from Maine to Mass. and back without any trouble at all.
  • Not to highjack this thread.........but. Does anyone know how to get those rear fog lights in the U.S. I want a set so bad. Im sorry. Continue.......
  • You can try the classifieds, EGAY, wagodizzle might have some, and I can get them.

Now back on topic :wink:

do you have any ideas on tow hitch for our waggy? coz i found one but its a tongue and nto a reciever hitch. i always wanted a receiver hitch.

thanks in advance

wagon...................4ever............

My "design" ties into the stock tow hooks that are on the frame-ish part underneath as well as having a plate sandwiched in between the bumper and the end of the frame rails on both sides. The four mounting points are hidden and I'm utilizing four pins so I can fairly quickly remove my hitch because I think it would look ugly if it was on all the time. It should be plenty strong for what I want to do. I've been busy weekends for the last month and evenings are terrible because it's so damn cold but I'll try to make some progress on it soon.
  • It would be nice if the hitch could be hidden. I have one on my VW GOLF WAGON that is completely hidden but cost about 800 bucks and is very easy to install and hide. The one on my wagon was about 300 and is always in view but you get used to it.
  • I don't really think there is a good way to hide one on a wagon with the stock bumper. I've see guys redo the bumper support on civics with the hitch hidden behind the license plate (which flips up and out of the way) but that isn't feasible on the wagon.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    i dont think the hitch looks bad. i'd leave the ball in it all the time just in case some douche decides to love tap my car. he'll get what he deserves :twisted:
  • thanks for the reply my bretherens

i still dont see any good design as far as the tow hitch that i wanted. i need a reciever not just the tongue that sticks out. the reason being that i need to hook up a bike rack since i dont want to carry it on top of my rack. anyways i might think of improvishing the tongue type or maybe some genuis out there might come up something.

again thank you.
  • I will take some pics tomorrow. I have an 89 with a hitch package of some sort on it. Not sure if it's bolt on, welded on, or what, car hasn't been driven for five years and I got it for $100, so who knows. Anyways, I'll grab some and see if they help...
  • got a free "Hidden Hitch" receiver setup off a Jimmy a couple of weeks ago. I still have the JC Whitney bolt-on plate receiver as well.
    gonna eventually see how I can make on of them work...
    I like the bolting up through the tow hooks arrangement. now I need to fab together some scrap angle, maybe.
  • got a free "Hidden Hitch" receiver setup off a Jimmy a couple of weeks ago. I still have the JC Whitney bolt-on plate receiver as well.
    gonna eventually see how I can make on of them work...
    I like the bolting up through the tow hooks arrangement. now I need to fab together some scrap angle, maybe.

i would like to request for pictures of your tow hitch receiver, coz i would like to have one on me 88rt. i wanna put in a bike carrier coz dont wanna put the bike on my roof rack.

thanks in advance

more waggy power
  • sure, when I get there.
    I might be able to get out & lift it tomorrow, but there's nothing installed yet. I'm just at the "mocking up" stage so far.
  • sure, when I get there.
    I might be able to get out & lift it tomorrow, but there's nothing installed yet. I'm just at the "mocking up" stage so far.

ill be patiently wait.

happy thanks giving to you and your family

wagon..................4ever..............
  • elmalounoelmalouno New Wagonist
    can someone tell me the bolt hole orientation for mounting the tow hitch? i am looking to fabricate my own and while i can measure them myself, my car is at a different location and it would help if someone already had a hitch to measure

thanks
  • skinnyskinny Senior Wagonist
    If you can I would remove the tow hooks on the frame rails and bolt them to that.
  • TogTog New Wagonist
    Silly question i know, but i have searched and cant seem to find what sort/how to fit a tow hook to the shuttle - could anyone point me in the right direction? websites /ebay. Does not have to be honda OEM, just something that will work. Anything from the UK would be better, but at the moment i need a starting point!
  • great info guys
  • lilROOKZlilROOKZ Wagonist
    i need to hear from Bam-Bam on this subject....he is the tow master IMO :)
    im also looking to install a tow hitch on my wagon with just a small trailer to fit a quad, or some tires for drift events
  • BagginWagon76BagginWagon76 Band Wagon
    Oooo Glad I found this thread. After seeing the picture of the wag towing another wag then the moto and trailer I'm getting will be cake. Eventually I'm moving west and would not want to sell my bike. Great info!!
  • SkyntaraSkyntara Band Wagon
    On my AUDM EE3 I have the tongue type.

It bolts to the two tow hook plates and has another bolt through the small tow point at the back. I can grab a photo in the light tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.
  • ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Skyntara wrote:
    On my AUDM EE3 I have the tongue type.

It bolts to the two tow hook plates and has another bolt through the small tow point at the back. I can grab a photo in the light tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.

Don't ask if anyone is interested just post the pictures. Any pictures of different types of tow bars will give people good examples on what to go by if they plan on fabbing up their own.
    Sorry for the delay.

Here's the pics of how we do it in Australia...

602.jpg

603.jpg

604.jpg

605.jpg

606.jpg
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    hey why are the pictu......oh i get it
  • lilROOKZlilROOKZ Wagonist
    Looks pretty good Skyntara. I'm going to try and make mine soon
    Underneath the electrics connector there's actually a stamp on the bar that says it's specifically for the 4x4 Civic.

I'll have to take a photo when I'm outside next.