Towing Discussion

Comments

• Goelette wrote:
    little late.... but here's how much the official tow-capacity is in Europe: Sow I guess the same in the US?

2wd: 1000 kg
    RT4wd: 1400 kg.

And that's an awefull lot for officially approved numbers, I might add...!!
    Especially considering the own weight of the car: 1050kg....

Hoi !!

Honda Canada wouldn't give me any towing info on the Honda wagon and, in fact, recommend I don't tow anything with my wagon... bunch of strondkoppen !!!

I know the Dutch are pretty strict about towing, having seen and heard about the restrictions put on travelers and the inspections done by police during peek holiday times so I would be interested to know where you got your info since it differs a lot from what Ragenasian provided from Germany.

Straks !!
  • doesn't differ a lot....? I said 1400, and you say 1380.... that's possible....
    I forgot to mention however this was only if you have brakes on the trailer.... But that information is not really interesting if you know anything about dutch law (which I forgot you don't) because here every trailer over 750 kg should have brakes!
    The civic shuttle however may only tow 535kg if there are no brakes, so that number is exactly the same as in germany :)

About the speed limits: in Germany and the Netherlands you can only go 80 km/h, but in France or Belgium you can travel the same speed as cars without trailers: and thats 120 km/h in Belgium or 130 in France.... :D
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    haha i guess it wasnt put to rest. i'll keep my mouth shut now
  • Goelette wrote:
    doesn't differ a lot....? I said 1400, and you say 1380.... that's possible....

Oops, I was referring to the tow weight for the 2WD, i.e. 535 kg vs. 1000 kg.

Thx for the update on towing laws in the Netherlands.

I remember a case in the summer of 1984 where a family had their car and trailer confiscated on their first day of holidays due to some mechanical problems with the car & the aanhangwagen (trailer).

Straks !!
  • I've seen a CRX tow another CRX. He made it safe and sound, but I wouldn't recommend it without modifications to brakes.
  • LSwagonLSwagon Band Wagon
    I had Tork Lift in Kent, WA make my hitch. it runs right below the bumper and is a complete bolt on. It bolts up to where the tow hooks were I believe. I usually pull one quad on a 4x8 trailer. It does a way better job both pulling and stopping it than my mazda b2200 did, and that's a "truck". The biggest thing I think to worry about is the tongue weight, as there is not an actual frame and you could bend the unibody if you had enough weight there. By the way the pic of my 15 foot trailer with a quad and a three wheeler was just a joke...I would not recommend doing that.
  • LSwagonLSwagon Band Wagon
    www.civicwagon.com
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    i want one
  • mvmmvm Wagonist
    Well Im gonna need the whole setup so I can tow my CRX to the track with the Wagon. Ive got the 2WD verison.
  • WagofanWagofan Band Wagon
    My 91 rt4wd has a factory tow hitch bolted on through the back tow loop. It's stamped maximum 1000 lbs.
    :idea: The tow ball says 2000 lbs, that makes my total 3000 lbs., right?

I've towed my buddy's small aluminum fishing boat so far, and it all went well. You have to love awd when you're on a wet boat ramp.
  • WagofanWagofan Band Wagon
    my rt4wd has a factory honda tow hitch which bolts through the original tow loop on the back. The tow hitch is stamped with a maximum 1000 lbs.; the tow ball says 2000 lbs, but I don't think that adds to the 1000 max total.

I haven't needed the sl gear to tow, but the awd is nice on a wet boatramp.
  • mvmmvm Wagonist
    Wagofan wrote:
    my rt4wd has a factory honda tow hitch which bolts through the original tow loop on the back. The tow hitch is stamped with a maximum 1000 lbs.; the tow ball says 2000 lbs, but I don't think that adds to the 1000 max total.

I haven't needed the sl gear to tow, but the awd is nice on a wet boatramp.

Willing to sell the gear?
  • Yaaaaa! Rust! :wink:
  • I came accross this nice little enclosed trailer at RONA today

http://www.stirlingproductsinc.com/modelsC4i.html

GVW is 1,300 lbs
    Payload is 1,000 lbs

Given the official German TUV (inspection) numbers.

Without brakes it says NO MORE than 535 KG (or 1,177 lbs)

Is that too much weight (GVW + Payload) for a wagon ??
  • CTMCTM Band Wagon
    lalunette wrote:
    I came accross this nice little enclosed trailer at RONA today

http://www.stirlingproductsinc.com/modelsC4i.html

GVW is 1,300 lbs
    Payload is 1,000 lbs

Given the official German TUV (inspection) numbers.

Without brakes it says NO MORE than 535 KG (or 1,177 lbs)

Is that too much weight (GVW + Payload) for a wagon ??

Nice trailer I wouldn't think twice about towing that trailer. do it.
  • GoeletteGoelette Wagonist
    that's a nice, small trailer. Shouldn't be a problem. Look what I towed last week:

176.jpg
  • ragenasianragenasian Moderator
    Lalunette I am sure the numbers from my book are very conservative as everything here in Germany is very strict. I mean you can't even put an aftermarket air filter on your car unless it is approved, installed, and then inspected again. These numbers I am sure are to keep everybody safe and probably for liability reasons. There are pics of wagons towing other wagons with a trailer so again I just think those numbers are to keep everybody safe over here. Especially considering you don't want to tow something that would bog your car down over here when cars continually run over 200kmh.
  • Thx for all the replies.

I am definitely getting this trailer for my camping needs next year.

Cheers !!
  • Bringing this thread back from the dead. I'd like to be able to tow a small dirtbike trailer behind my wagon.
    Has anybody found anyplace that sells a readymade tow hitch for a wagon?
  • JDMshuttleJDMshuttle Senior Wagonist
    i had a tow hitch go to u-haul prob could find 1 there
  • I've seen them on ebay for $130 or so.
  • The rear cam is the only thing my hook is towing ...
    its nice to see how a dent forms in another car, jk

good luck finding something suitable...
  • Does anybody have a hitch setup that they could take some pics of. I found a installation guide for putting a uhaul hitch on a wagon. Looks pretty simple to make. Problem with the pdf I found is that the drawing and diagram are two dimensional.
  • I've actually been working on a hitch for a while now. It needs a little more work to be finished but its coming along. I'll post some pics whenever it gets finished. I'm really slow at getting things done that aren't super important. :lol:
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I have a half-baked one as well. If anyone has knowledge of a TRUE RECEIVER hitch for wagons, let's see it. All the ones i've been able to find were flat drawbars that bolted to the bumper and towhook.
  • I don't think any exist anymore. I believe a few may have been available at one time but I google'd the internet to death and didn't find anything.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Kahuna wrote:

yeah, I've seen that one, but what I want is a receiver hitch. That's just a fixed drawbar(I want to use it for bike racks)
  • Ahh I see.. I don't like the way that looks..

I think I might build one for my car soon if I come accross some metal.. If you look on the rear rails of the subframe there are some 90 degree plates there (i guess for towing) if you came down from there with some angle brackets the ran across the rear of the car and attached to the tow hook you would have a nice sturdy hitch..

I'll make one soon then sell you one.. Aluminum maybe?