1990 Built Turbo (Slow Progress)

2»

Comments

• FakeJDMEF8FakeJDMEF8 Senior Wagonist
    I've been curious about the CJ's harness. Let me know how it works out. Looks good and price is reasonable. Lots of happy customers I have seen. Best of luck!
  • stalanthonstalanthon Band Wagon
    I have a CJs wiring for my wagon, LVL 1 obd1 and mine is a mil spec so i have to get mine wiretuck but i wanted to do it anyway.
  • JLane91JLane91 New Wagonist
    awesome! I just orederd my budget one for 330 plus shipping. I hope it all works out.
    stalanthon wrote: »
    I have a CJs wiring for my wagon, LVL 1 obd1 and mine is a mil spec so i have to get mine wiretuck but i wanted to do it anyway.

awesome! I just orederd my budget one for 330 plus shipping. I hope it all works out.
    Got around to cleaning up the y8 manifold

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Stock and running good!

31.jpg

32.jpg\

33.jpg

Also Installed all MOOG inner and outer tie rods and lower ball joints(race car status) and bought a progress front sway bar. I will be installing the front traction bar and sway bar next week.

34.jpg

Update! I changed the (build) first page, i added prices to the things i bought and changed to D16z6. I picked up a complete y8 and Z6 for $80. I will be running the z6 now!
    Z6 complete and the y8 block. I am running the Z6

43.jpg

z6
    44.jpg
    45.jpg

Z6 pretty clean looking
    46.jpg

Bare and ready for machine shop.
    47.jpg
    Some goodies, Eagle rods. I will be notching the block this weekend and sending it off to the machines shop to be bored 75.5mm.

I am shooting for 350-400hp... I'm thinking abour runnning my P2W clearence at 0.0025? chime in please????

57.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4uBb9cSeh8

Okay, got some stuff done and all most my parts are in.

Vitara pistons/Eagle rods Vs. Stock
    2.jpg

3.jpg

Emusa(ebay turbo) with some nice manifold? and Tial wastegate.

I ordered a complete CXRacing intercooler kit, comes with all piping, couplers, BOV

6.jpg

Took the windshield washer fluid res. out and the big air box. I started mocking stuff up. I need to put the traction bar on and halfsize radiator on first.
    7.jpg

Going to order 2 of these prob for the slicks im running... thats a later date though.

1.png
    Notched the block, lets hope i did it far enough. Block is off to machine shop, but before i did that i mocked up the setup. (Block and head will look like the intake manifold.)
    25.jpg

Before:

26.jpg

27.jpg

After:

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Also did some head work and cleaning.

32.jpg

33.jpg
    Got around to playing with some stuff.
    My new tig welder came in so im excited.
    51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Thinking about making a back door for my intercooler so Turbo will just go straight into it using a small pipe.
    54.jpg

Sent motor to machine shop, Im running 75.5mm bore with a .0035 PTW clearance. They are polishing the crank aswell.
    55.jpg
    -Got the block back, checked all bearing clearances on the mains and rods.
    -Found out I have to notch the girdle to clear the rods...

62.jpg

63.jpg

Finished the head

64.jpg

65.jpg

Started doing good stuff with my tig welder

66.jpg
    Okay, Like i said this is supposedly a true budget build. I am buying what i know works and putting money where it needs to be. I totaled this up. This includes gaskets, supsension parts, turbo set up, built motor parts and some odds and ends. Im trying to do my best to not leave out a dollar. So far im looking at a total of $2,312.00 spent. I still need engine mangement, guages, motor mounts, and probably some other little things. My goal is to not go over $4500 all said in done.
    Got a new manifold so the wastgate is on the driver side(couldnt clear slim radiator)
    welded the intercooler pipe on passenger side. Im trying to eliminate as many couplers as posisibe.
    Dont worry, that is not how the intercooler is going, howerver it will be offset to the left.

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

Got the rings gapped and ground down the girdle for rod clearences. Everything checks out clearence wise.

70.jpg

71.jpg
    Update! Got motor together for the most part, broke an oil ring. No biggie, more are on the way. I will be making a youtube video soon.

Items i recently purchased
    -P28 s300 v3 ecu package
    -Aem, A/f guage, boost gauge, oil pressure guage.
    -Innovative motor mounts

Vitara with stock length Eagle H beams

80.jpg

81.jpg

82.jpg
    Got most the parts in! We took the d15 motor back out and are prepping the bay for the built one.
    Things to do:
    -Finish motor
    -hook up guages
    -run wire harness and mount ECU
    -Clean engine bay and mount traction bar(still on backorder)
    -Odds and ends to keep this moving.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Motor is currently out

4.jpg

• SwedginSwedgin Band Wagon
    Loving all the progress! I have very similar goals with my wagon so it's really nice seeing everything I'll have to do too! Is that CJ wiring harness going to just be plug and play? I've never looked into what it takes to convert dpfi to mpfi.
    Swedgin wrote: »
    Loving all the progress! I have very similar goals with my wagon so it's really nice seeing everything I'll have to do too! Is that CJ wiring harness going to just be plug and play? I've never looked into what it takes to convert dpfi to mpfi.

Right on! I like to document absolutely everything and the prices... trying to show all prices, even small ones.
    The harness should be plug in play with my p28 hondata ecu. I had to choose OBD1 for the alt and Dizzy of course. But it shouldnt be to far from right.
  • TadasTadas Wagonist
    I am also doing final shopping for my d16 motor, and I wanted to ask if you are not affraid to use AEM camgear.

I have seen quite a few horror stories with the 5 spoke ones breaking very easily because of various reasons.

However, I am struggling to find an alternative to it in europe.
    Tadas wrote: »
    I am also doing final shopping for my d16 motor, and I wanted to ask if you are not affraid to use AEM camgear.

I have seen quite a few horror stories with the 5 spoke ones breaking very easily because of various reasons.

However, I am struggling to find an alternative to it in europe.

Dang, Now that im aware of it I am afraid. haha. I did howerver see most of the problems were years ago? have things changed? IDK, that gear isnt really necessary on my application so i might revert back to stock.
    Installed the piston that i broke the oil ring on, torqued everything. Also installed the head with ARP head bolts and painted the motor. This week will be the oil pump/water pump and timing components.

Also a look at the "Sleeper as F**K Aem gauges" all interior is stock and i will be running steelie looking wheels. I do not want anyone to see anthing "Modified" on the car.... minus exhaust out hood lol

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg
    Youtube videos of some of the work... NOT A "How to". I DO IT MY WAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMX5R9jPt_E
    Heat wrap on and some other stuff.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg
    back at it guys, since i have moved and changed jobs! Looks like i will be jumping into this thing hard this winter..( HEATED GARAGE DUHHHHH)