British Build! - RT4WD Daily Beater - Beagle Bullbar!

13»

Comments

• GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Update time!

Picked up a Beagle Bar, thanks to Craig for keeping it for me :drivegear:
    47.jpg

101 uses for Wagons. Moving House...
    48.jpg

MOT was FAST approaching. It needed a CV Boot, but both CV's were clicking. so 2 birds 1 stone and all that. Finding CV's turned out to be a nightmare...

It appears non in the catalogue listed for either GL or 16i Fit. In the end some Rover Varients fitted a treat. But odd splines on both sides. Odd! (23 vs 32 splines)
    49.jpg

50.jpg
    51.jpg

and one inner CV was odd. Ball and cage style instead of the typical tripod and needle bearings.
    52.jpg
    53.jpg
    54.jpg
    55.jpg
    56.jpg

Old vs New. New Outer CV's, rebuilt and greased inners. New boots all round.
    57.jpg

58.jpg
    59.jpg

also picked up some siR suspension from Waters :top:
    60.jpg

Then, it came to MOT Time! and it FAILED!!! Hose burst on the rollers. and the trailing arm bush had "Fallen Out". Literally...
    61.jpg
    62.jpg

So the beater now has new RH Rear RTA Bush (ADL Blueprint) and the Goodridge lines off Wagon Attack (As i couldn't get pattern in time because of Bank Holiday)
    (No pictures, but i did film it!)

63.jpg

Shattered.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    So, Beater update...

Finally got round to fitting the Beagle Bar..

376.jpg
    377.jpg
    378.jpg
    379.jpg
    380.jpg
    381.jpg
    382.jpg

Nothing else to say! Beater been doing me good! Enjoys a good Beating every other day on the way home from work. Its desperatly needs new brake discs and is due a service soon.

its also developed an idling issue when hot that i need to sort. It will sit at 1500rpm (When warm - Even after a good 20 mile trip) for about 30 seconds, then calm down back to normal idle speeds. so need to look into this soon.

Dont forget! the Beater stars in the "Wagon Diaries" Vlog that i do every other week, So catch the VLOG Progress of beater on my youtube page! ---->https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1hDBwaePXhwZEMr9jgWqazPoJGFWhinD
  • So, beater needed some love.

LAST weekend i decided it was finally time to do the clutch as it was bank holiday. I had a used clutch from Wagon Attack that had seen pretty low miles (Few thousand maybe) so i decided to not used a new clutch and use what good stuff i had lying around.

So, last weekend...
    84.jpg
    85.jpg
    86.jpg
    87.jpg

So, all back together...and the clutch was even WORSE than before!! it slipped way to quickly no matter what gear - FUCK! Let me just say, 4WD Gearboxes, aint light...Standard 2WD L3 Boxes are not light either, but atleast you can pick them up! a 4WD Box is a good 3-4 times heavier. I struggled for nearly 2 hours getting the box back in as i could not get any help. so i threw my spanners in the garage and called it a night.

Cue this weekend. Clutch needed sorting. Sourced an old stock Exedy BNIB clutch from my good friend Chapman (Cheers Chapman!) and compiled a list of what needed doing to the wagon overall... See list below...

Fix Oil leak from Sump
    Fix Oil Leak from rear crank seal
    Fix Power steering leak
    Fix Sticky Throttle Pedal
    Fix Front Engine Mount
    And a few other Misc Bits...

I decided to remove the whole engine this time round, as once again, i couldnt get any help (apart from Chapman and co, But a 3hr drive is a bit excessive...)
    88.jpg
    89.jpg
    90.jpg
    91.jpg
    92.jpg

Upon lifting the engine out, it snagged on something...but i kept lifting in hoping it would free itself - NOPE! bent and split a brake pipe. FUCK! atleast it was the shortest of the lot though!
    93.jpg

Fixing the PAS Leak. the PAS Cooler that goes in front of the rad had gone Rusty, causing PSF to slowly leak oout. under speed this was flying into the radiator. So i fixed the leak to begin with by completely bypassing the cooler and hard lines (This is the UK, we dont need to "Cool" the PSF Fluid...) So i bypassed it as pictured below, then spent about 30 minutes cleaning all the congealed PSF/ Dirt mixture that has covered the lower half of the rad and front of the engine and gearbox.
    94.jpg

New brake line...
    95.jpg

Engine and box back in...
    96.jpg
    97.jpg
    98.jpg

And thats that! Installation went ok (Apart from the bit where the engine strap snapped - TWICE! lodging the engine between the subframes - TWICE!), smashed the TPS upon installation. new TPS, cleaned the Throttle body whilst it was off

Completion list?

Fitted new Sump Gasket
    Fitted New Rear Crank Seal
    Fitted New Exedy Clutch
    Fixed PSF Leak
    Fitted New poly Bushed front engine mount
    Fixed Sticky throttle body Butterfly
    Fitted new TPS
    New Oil Filter
    New Oil
    Replaced gearbox fluid
    Flushed Coolant System
    Flushed PSF Fluid

Beater lives to fight more thousands of miles!
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Maintenance on the Beater today...

New Discs and pads, poorly listed items, total cost of £30 delivered! QH Parts aswell.

42.jpg
    43.jpg

Whilst the wheels were off, finally decided to fit the SiR Suspension ive had lying around for months that Walters gave me. Came off an Genuine EF9 SiR with uber low miles!

44.jpg
    45.jpg
    46.jpg

Brakes feel good, Handles better aswell, Less Boaty...
  • zachj23zachj23 Band Wagon
    My body work looks a lot like yours did. Did you have a metal shop custom fabricate the rest of the rear fenders and under carriage? I was thinking about finding a shop to help fix mine. I don't wanna use bondo or filler if I can avoid it.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    Another update on the daily.

I broke it....

After thinking the front Diff had shat itself, turned out to be a drive shaft spinning inside the CV. I should really stop doing heads up drag racing...

117.jpg
    118.jpg

Damaged vs Good shaft...

119.jpg

Race car got shoved out the garage for the week whilst i waited on parts.
    120.jpg

Replaced the ARB Bushes whilst i was at it.
    121.jpg
    122.jpg

Shafts rebuilt ready to go in.
    123.jpg

And shes back on the road...
  • I love how quickly your turn around time is with issues you have. I've got a list of things to do that keeps building and I kind of all leave it until I dive in and spend a whole weekend doing 6 things instead of 2-3h doing one thing.

Also, you've convinced me to rebuild my bad CV joint rather than getting new axles. Doesn't seem too hard.
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    superhatch wrote: »
    I love how quickly your turn around time is with issues you have. I've got a list of things to do that keeps building and I kind of all leave it until I dive in and spend a whole weekend doing 6 things instead of 2-3h doing one thing.

Also, you've convinced me to rebuild my bad CV joint rather than getting new axles. Doesn't seem too hard.

As i needed it for work - I needed to be fast!

The tip is to put load on the CV Before wacking it with a hammer, if you dont pre-load it you will end of damaging the Circlip and will have to cut them off!