#TeamWagon Wisconsin 91 RT4WD

13»

Comments

• eckoboteckobot New Wagonist
    Thanks for the advice on the welder and plasma. I've heard of some horror stories about Hobarts though, but Eastwoods are supposedly made with Lincoln components.?. Thermal Dynamics are killer units!!.. definitely check that out, thanks.
    On the procomps, I would wonder what the speed rating is before spending that kind of cash, but if your only intentions are for off-road then hit them up and send pics! Been wondering about using UTV tires myself. DUDE!!! absolutely sick cow tipper you made for the front but feel sorry for the bumper. If you want to go back to stock, I have another! Thoughts???...how bout installing a brush guard plate on the bar filling the emptiness you created from cutting the bumper? OR use some expanded metal or perforated sheet metal for a grill? OR both!
  • I plan on filling that filling that gap with a piece of treadplate or just sheetmetal, just havent got there yet. Then recessing the lis.plate into in and then going from the sides of the bumper with thin sheetmetal and forming it to the profile of the bumper to cover up the cuts and make a smooth look and riveting it into the plastic!! And for the tires as far as speed ratings go I figure most of those new UTV's and ATV's go 70-80mph and I ushally never get my car past 85-90 so whatever and when i do its only for a little bit not like 50 miles but even if I did it would pry still be fine..Speed and load ratings are ushally all bullshit anyway in my opinion! hahah and I read some reviews last week on weldingweb and everyone says the small eastwood mig units are good but the big ones (175 amp and up) are all junk! and I couldnt find any reviews on the tigs! But theres a reason why eastwood also sells lincolns as well! and as far as plasmas...thermodynamics...spend the money and do it right if your going to! although my buddy bought a cheap ebay one and its just an animal! had it for 3 years now and its rated for 1/4 inch but I cut 1/2 no problem with it! heres the link!!

(http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Plasma-Cutter-CUT50DR-Digital-Inverter-110-220V-Dual-Voltage-Plasma-Cutter-/171250597870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27df54bfee)
  • Speed and load ratings are ushally all bullshit anyway in my opinion! hahah

Yeah, that world wide standard of load and speed ratings is total bullshit, you're completely right. Companies like Bridgestone/Firestone and Michelin and Goodyear, companies that have been around for hundreds of years just put the labels on tires for funzies. I'd suggest doing some research before you put OTHER peoples lives in danger by running tires that are under speed/load rating for your vehicle.

I could care less what happens to your life with an attitude like that, its the other people you put in danger with that attitude that i worry about.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    ^^truer words are rarely spoken...

I love when people think they are smarter than engineers with decades of research.

*cough* Darwin *cough*
  • 503Wagon wrote: »
    Yeah, that world wide standard of load and speed ratings is total bullshit, you're completely right. Companies like Bridgestone/Firestone and Michelin and Goodyear, companies that have been around for hundreds of years just put the labels on tires for funzies. I'd suggest doing some research before you put OTHER peoples lives in danger by running tires that are under speed/load rating for your vehicle.

I could care less what happens to your life with an attitude like that, its the other people you put in danger with that attitude that i worry about.
    Charb wrote: »
    ^^truer words are rarely spoken...

I love when people think they are smarter than engineers with decades of research.

*cough* Darwin *cough*

Sorry to show my lack of research. So here you go. the rt4wd manual trans 1991 civic wagon weights a mean of 2,619 pounds according to 6 websites I took weights from and averaged. Pro-comp utv/atv tires have a load rating of 990lbs per tire if you looked at my link. so 990x4 tires=3,960lbs so take the rated weight of 3960 minus the mean vehicle weight of 2,619 and you have 1,341 pounds left. So unless I have four passengers weighing 335 lbs each Im completly fine. As, far as speed ratings go I called Pro-comp's tire department as consulted a rep about max speed rating. He said the tires do NOT have a max speed rating from the manufacturer but I compared simular 6ply 26 inch tall and as close to 11 inches wide as I could find and results where an average of 14 tires in simular widthds but all 26 tall and 6 ply turned to be an average speed rating of just under 87mph 86.89 to be exact, the rep from pro comp also said running on a hard-ball (paved/cemented) surface at 80-85mph isn't insane as far as the tire I was looking at. And as far as on-road driving, I do very little, maybe 4 miles per day tops with my road tires. So there is your research for that.

As for why I believe "Ratings" are complete bullshit. Lets start with BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires! pry the US's most common tire on classic muscle cars (I know was have em on about 13 cars currently) and you cant possibly goto a classic car/muscle meet and not see em! There is a 118mph speed rating, which is size specific but is the highest rating for the majority of BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires. Thats 118 mph at perfect manufacture recommended tire pressure balanced and in perfect heat/weather conditions! So there is no way in hell you can prove that tens of thousands of Americans don't go over 118mph on those tires on the roads, racetracks, etc. and never have a problem. Im sure the both of you have had products "rated" at a certain capacity that you have exceeded. Weather it be tires, office chairs or number of papers in your printer tray. All a rating does is protects a companies ass from getting sued, so why not set the rating low and not worry about it, right? And say I do drive over 118 mph on that specific tire..Who says catastrophic failure is going to happen at 118.1? Also another example, I have built and sold utility trailer for the last 9 years, my father has for the past 31 year. we use 2x2x1/8 inch angle iron for the frame, uprights, and everything besides the tongue and rear gate and typically use 2500 or 3500lb "Rated" torsion single axles. We have had multiple customers say they have hauled 5-8,000 pounds and haven't had a problem even with used tires! And just because you are an engineer only means that you passed a school/college and got a piece of paper, doesn't mean you learned jack shit! So if you want to argue about how engineers are smarter than please tell me about how the titanic was perfectly engineered along with the washington tacoma bridge, the st. francis dam, and the dc-10 planes of the 70's! So I'm not implying that I am smarter than an engineer or know more about their product. Im implying that their products are just under rated for insurance reasons and obviously Im not going to throw on some ATV/UTV tires and go for a fucking land speed record.
  • Also I would like to say thanks for being a dick about it and assuming I'm inconsiderate ass and don't care about the safety of other nor do any research on what product I'm about to buy. Very much appreciated, I feel very welcomed and accepted to this forum. Thanks for the constructive criticism and politeness:encouragement:
  • You're more than welcome to spout off as much information as you want. I see vehicles on a daily basis come into my work running tires with load capacities and speed ratings far lower than what their vehicle is designed for. I see the irregular tire wear and the cracking, i see the pulled belts, i see the separation on a daily basis.

I'm not arguing that the UTV tire will or will not work on the wagon. I'm not arguing that they can't handle the weight of a wagon either. I was simply stating that its attitudes like that which get people killed. Manufacture says one thing and because you've done something other than what they say, you decide that everything they've said is complete trash. Standards that have been set since like 1991 are not complete bullshit. They were put in place to standardize tire manufacturing and to increase the safety of everyone.

You're on our website, therefor you get to follow our rules. I dont want someone coming on to our forum and reading someones post that says speed/load ratings are BS and we do not have to follow them. You're welcome to your opinion, just dont discredit years of research and engineering because you think its garbage. I've got nothing against you and I love your build, been following it since you joined the forum.
  • Thank you for the reply 503. Sorry about my rant but I'm glad you see where I am coming from on this topic. And that specific part of my post where I had said and what you quoted "Speed and load ratings are ushally all bullshit in my opinion! haha." Just to clear that up I feel as if you interpreted that quote as a more literal/real life "I don't give a fuck attitude." Im sorry for that miscommunication, but honestly wouldn't you think that people who are on a website about modifying cars would have the common sense to understand that ratings aren't bullshit? I mean Im not trying to be an asshole but come on! But I completely see where you are coming from and understand why you where mad about my comment. Also, Obviously I don't feel as if me, one person, is smarter that hundreds of engineers over the corse of many many years. But I hope you see where abouts I am coming from with my argument above! Thank you for your views and input!
  • Sorry or not, a for sale post goes in the classifieds section. Save us some hassle and follow the forum rules please.
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    Oh my freaking god! I am so so so happy I found this thread. My girl bought this car off those dude and all the threads you see from me and trying to piece this thing back together before it was mutilated. I actually hurts my heart to see what this dude did to this car. Also not sure here but the car is far from rust free. She has bonds up the ass. Oh well at least she's in good hands now. Thank you Internet
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    Chase wrote: »
    Oh my freaking god! I am so so so happy I found this thread. My girl bought this car off those dude and all the threads you see from me and trying to piece this thing back together before it was mutilated. I actually hurts my heart to see what this dude did to this car. Also not sure here but the car is far from rust free. She has bonds up the ass. Oh well at least she's in good hands now. Thank you Internet

this is awesome to hear! way to bump an old ass thread man! lol jk but in all seriousness you should quote and copy and paste this build into a new thread and keep us updated on the progress on the wagon under new owner ship or something! gluck!
  • ChaseChase Wagonist
    klum wrote: »
    this is awesome to hear! way to bump an old ass thread man! lol jk but in all seriousness you should quote and copy and paste this build into a new thread and keep us updated on the progress on the wagon under new owner ship or something! gluck!

Thank you man, I appreciate the love. That is the plan to make a new build thread. The car now has a d16y7 in it and all the tint has been taken off all the lights. All of the suspension has been ripped out and replaced with drop springs and different struts. I also fixed the rear bumper so there is no more of those springs holding the bumper on. Wow I cant believe how bad my Engrish was while trying to type this out on my phone *SORRY!. I found this at like midnight while looking for a fog light write up on a wagon. Boy how the times have changed.