GNAR Wagon

Picked up my RT4WD last week..decided to name it the GNAR Wagon since I found this sheet of letter stickers and it was one of the first things that came to mind lol

When I picked it up:
1013664_10102537134933188_1096623378_n.jpg

1011164_10102537134958138_1573748377_n.jpg

It has 949 Racing bronze 15x8s on it. CRX seats up front (perfect because I own a CRX and love those seats). Upgraded front disc brakes (two owners ago did it and the last owner didnt know exactly what they are..need to figure that out). A decent tint, and some kinda cheapie exhaust upgrade. He also tossed in some lowering springs/shocks that I immediately posted on CL and sold for a couple hundred to go towards my lift :D

First things first..I took it over to Rack Attack in Denver and had a custom flush mount done:
189121_10102537134968118_1296302425_n.jpg

998254_10102537135287478_1105216760_n.jpg

1012123_10102537135212628_1524168707_n.jpg

And this is why its called the GNAR Wagon..
10574_10102537135197658_533444357_n.jpg

I just ordered suspension parts to lift it up..so hopefully I will be getting started on that next week. Other than that I dont have any solid plans for the car...maybe some bull bars if I can find them and some other lil things. I have a CRX project car that I might scalp some parts from but well see. Sorry for the bad pics..cell phone + low lighted parking garage dont play well. Once I get the lift done Ill bust out the SLR!

Comments

• Damn good start on her.... Good looking wagon... what did it cost for the flush mounted rack?
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    Damn good start on her.... Good looking wagon... what did it cost for the flush mounted rack?

Thanks! I already had the thule aerobars, bike racks, and box... the install/podiums/HW was about $366
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Very nice! Thinking about a similar rack. Nice start sir, nice start.
  • MexiChriSMexiChriS New Wagonist
    This is promising. As everyone else will agree. That flush mount on the rack is amazing.

What's next??
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Lifting? Hell yeah! What are you using for the lift?
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    bam-bam wrote: »
    Lifting? Hell yeah! What are you using for the lift?
    I am just doing the DA/Accord setup..nothin crazy and pretty easy to do!
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    I love it when a ton of parts all come in a one/two day span..its like Christmas :)

1006169_10102558301405408_1737953979_n.jpg

Hitting the junkyard for (hopefully) some other stuff and then maybe a sunday funday install day!!
  • oooo yea. i want to see this.

i might do this suspension setup or the integra suspension or the si coils. i have not decided. i will have both to try soon.

good luck and i sub'd
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    The junkyard gods were very kind today!! Two wagons at the yard and not too stripped out...was able to get some matching headrests for my rear seats. unfortunately no rear speaker pods.. Also picked up some nice looking infinity speakers..might do something rigged/custom for rear speakers with them. And I was able to get some DA Integra springs.. I couldnt find them ANYWHERE online. Can get the shocks but no springs..weird! Pics soon..I might start installing tonight if I dont go out.

toys-n-joys: im interested to see the diff in lift between DA/SI coils!
  • RoyMan wrote: »
    The junkyard gods were very kind today!! Two wagons at the yard and not too stripped out...was able to get some matching headrests for my rear seats. unfortunately no rear speaker pods.. Also picked up some nice looking infinity speakers..might do something rigged/custom for rear speakers with them. And I was able to get some DA Integra springs.. I couldnt find them ANYWHERE online. Can get the shocks but no springs..weird! Pics soon..I might start installing tonight if I dont go out.

toys-n-joys: im interested to see the diff in lift between DA/SI coils!

sunday i am picking up da front knuckles with breaks $100, da strut assemblies front and rear $100, and rear lca's with sway bar $30.

i read that the da gives rear about 2.5"-3" of lift. but the fronts only .75-.8" so i am going to weld a spacer on the bottom of the strut. i posted a video here about similar mod.

i also have some accord suspension coming local for $50. i hear 90-97 accord suspension is the same from a good source. so i got ahold of some from a 94.

i want to get the poly bushes you ordered. so if you can send me a link i would appreciate it.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    well damnit..I started the suspension last night and didnt even get 1/4 the way through. switching top hats takes FOREVER and I also realized I need the accord wishbone to go with the accord springs/shocks...that wasnt clearly specified in the writeup I was using as a reference. Guess im going back to the junkyard today.

The poly bushings I just picked up at autozone. They are energy suspension. I can double check the exact type when I go to the garage this afternoon.
    well damnit..I started the suspension last night and didnt even get 1/4 the way through. switching top hats takes FOREVER and I also realized I need the accord wishbone to go with the accord springs/shocks...that wasnt clearly specified in the writeup I was using as a reference. Guess im going back to the junkyard today.

The poly bushings I just picked up at autozone. They are energy suspension. I can double check the exact type when I go to the garage this afternoon.

is the wishbone the fork? if so yea it has a larger i/d for bigger valved struts in accord.

also thats why i love power tools. makes that job quick.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    I wish I had power tools...those all got stolen in college and I never replaced them. Hell im borrowing a friends garage right now for this since I dont have any tools! Things started to go really smooth today then took a crap.. Got everything on the drivers side front and then the stupid axle popped out at the middle joint. Wasted like a hour trying to pop it back in then the boot busted open. Hopefully a parts store in town has some new axles in stock.

Heres a pic of the wishbone difference..its a bit bigger.

1001337_10102574147245218_1273252244_n.jpg

Also..the previous owner (or one before..) upgraded the front brakes. Ive been trying to figure out what they are from...anyone have any ideas? I might make a sep thread for this but figured id ask here first.

1045021_10102574145927858_961300759_n.jpg

988663_10102574145917878_1997708713_n.jpg
  • They r civic ex/si integra type r brakes with the 53mm pistons
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    thanks! thats what my research this mornin was pulling up too..that or legend brakes. Now I just need to figure out if my Rota Grids I have sitting back in my parents garage will fit on em lol..will make for a nice winter set if they do.
  • take pics of the lift after.

also take a pic of accord strut in the car.

good job and keep updates coming
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    started on the rears since the axle busting up front got me pissed at the front... everything came off fine and went in fine up until I got to the point of getting the last bolt into the LCA. I just cant get it all to line up..I need to try unbolting the trailing arm and doing the bushing trick there and see if that helps. I guess I can try notching my ebay special LCAs too.. this is taking WAY longer than I wanted.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    unbolting the trailing arm helped..got the rear pretty much done now (just need to bolt the trailing arm back up with the bushings/longer bolts). Got one of the new axles in the front too.

1017205_10102580582588738_505314168_n.jpg

1044102_10102580582648618_35338024_n.jpg

the axle literally fell apart on us...
    1043922_10102580582493928_571055286_n.jpg
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    FINALLY got it done over the weekend!! If I remember correctly it got a lil over 3" of lift at the midpoint under the body. I also removed the front lip that was on it..since it will just get torn up on trails. Gonna post it up for sale in a bit.

Before/after:
    999333_10102594466924418_642610265_n.jpg

1045206_10102594466959348_115202325_n.jpg

Detail pics:
    1011412_10102594466535198_1552741827_n.jpg

946213_10102594466540188_1296396926_n.jpg

1004783_10102594466530208_2014431305_n.jpg

945345_10102594466689888_1408069622_n.jpg
    exhaust hangs a bit low but oh well..ill replace it after some rocks destroy it lol

999651_10102594466789688_1056418070_n.jpg

Heading over to the alignment shop today. Ill be doing some 4th of July camping so hopefully have some nice pics next week and maybe some gopro offroading footy :D
  • badass.

did you need the adjustable upper control arms?

also do you need the rear control arms?
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Lookin' nice. Like the lift!
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    badass.

did you need the adjustable upper control arms?

also do you need the rear control arms?

Yeah I would def say you need the upper adjustable arms. The lift seems to throw the camber off pretty good so that will help a shop get it adjusted correctly.

You might be able to get the stock rear LCAs on but the aftermarket ones seemed to go on easier I thought.
  • civtec350civtec350 Wagonist
    ooh and ahh. i like it. very nice.
  • XdmonXXdmonX Band Wagon
    The lift looks good! How does it drive and corner with the lift?
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Yaaayyyy!!!! Another Lifted wagon..

Now time to get some dirty pics!!!

Did you take those height pics before you drove it? It will settle a little after your first drive. and, yeah the front camber kit is a must..
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    XdmonX wrote: »
    The lift looks good! How does it drive and corner with the lift?

The old suspension was pretty shot on it..so it feels pretty good to me..not sloppy at all. I feel noticeably higher off the ground when driving around too haha. I drove it around a bit today running errands..cornering seemed to be fine but I havent really gotten on it yet. I want to make sure everything is ok behind the wheels. I noticed I need to adjust my brake line mounting to the shocks (bit of rubbing with the wheels). Also looks like the nub on the arm parallel to the shock (forget the part name) may have been hitting the shock. Gonna use a paint marker on that area and a couple others to make sure...it may have just been scratching from the spring compressors.

I also noticed some vibration when accelerating only. Its fine coasting/slowing down/steady speed. Im guessing something with the new front axles I put in...need to drive it a bit more and research that some. Hopefully nothing that is gonna keep it garaged this weekend. I REALLY want to take it into the mountains.
    DRMORTY wrote: »
    Yaaayyyy!!!! Another Lifted wagon..

Now time to get some dirty pics!!!

Did you take those height pics before you drove it? It will settle a little after your first drive. and, yeah the front camber kit is a must..

The first before/after shot was after I drove it home from my buddys. Otherwise the rest were at his garage right after. I hope it doesnt settle much haha I want all the clearance I can get :D dirty pics very soon hopefully!
  • WagoDanWagoDan Wagonist
    2nd Yaaayyy another COLORADO lifted Wago! Great to see someone else don't wanna be all scrapin n sh*t!

What size tires you running? I stuffed some 215/60R16 on Digger but they do rub some, gonna drop back to a 205/60 or 55.
    My red one is on some lowering springs now (just to see what thats all about) but gonna go back to stock with that one... but now I might have to jack it up too!
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    WagoDan wrote: »
    2nd Yaaayyy another COLORADO lifted Wago! Great to see someone else don't wanna be all scrapin n sh*t!

What size tires you running? I stuffed some 215/60R16 on Digger but they do rub some, gonna drop back to a 205/60 or 55.
    My red one is on some lowering springs now (just to see what thats all about) but gonna go back to stock with that one... but now I might have to jack it up too!

They are kuhmo ecsta ast 205/50r15 right now..came with the car and have a lil bit of tread left. I will be getting some new ones probably within a couple months. Going to go 205/60 I think and something more burly for trail/winter driving.

Damn! you have 4 RT's?! Very nice!
    They are kuhmo ecsta ast 205/50r15 right now..came with the car and have a lil bit of tread left. I will be getting some new ones probably within a couple months. Going to go 205/60 I think and something more burly for trail/winter driving.

Damn! you have 4 RT's?! Very nice!

i know a place to get some cheap aggressive re treads. about $225 shipped for a aggressive set of 4 with warranty. pm me for details.

also what was the length of the bolts where you needed the spacers?
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    i know a place to get some cheap aggressive re treads. about $225 shipped for a aggressive set of 4 with warranty. pm me for details.

also what was the length of the bolts where you needed the spacers?

The bolts (for the rear trailing arms) were 4" long (m12x1.25) and not easy to find in grade 8 or higher. I had to go to a metric supply shop and I bought the last 4 for $12ish