Rio Red RT4WD, building the dream...very slowly!

Comments

• lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Small update.

Got the valve cover painted and a bunch of parts on order. I hope I'll be able to post some more updates in the next few weeks as I'm getting ready for a Show and Shine in August.
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Updates...finally :)

Started body work this week and got an exhaust built today.

I went with a Magnaflow muffler with a 2.5 inch inlet and dual 2.5 inch outlets. Since I'm planning on going turbo before spring time it only made sense to go with that size and do it only once. All the piping is 2.5 inch and the bends are all mandrel.

Here are the pics:
    221.jpg
    222.jpg
    223.jpg
    224.jpg
    225.jpg
    226.jpg
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    I was mostly looking to get the HKS EF exhaust look from back in the day. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. It's a little louder than I would like so I might add a resonator somewhere in the future when I replace the cat. The bigger piping is pretty close to the driveshaft as it is.
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    227.jpg
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Little sneak peak of today's accomplishments.
    495.jpg

Gonna take more pics when I get my interior cleaned :)
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    you should do a writeup on the install. look awesome in there.
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Few pics with the interior cleaned up. Haven't had much time to shampoo my seats and carpet yet since I'm trying to finish my bodywork before the first weekend of August.

676.jpg
    677.jpg

Look what came in today as well!!!! :encouragement:

678.jpg
    679.jpg
    680.jpg
    681.jpg

Yes! Enkei RPF1 in 15X7 with a +35 offset wrapped in Bridgestone RE011. As you can notice the bodywork is coming along slowly but nicely. The front fenders and all 4 doors are flat red. Got the rear quarters, hood, roof and bumpers left to do.
  • driftin90driftin90 Senior Wagonist
    very nice. I like the way the flat looks in the pics. how was it mounting your seats?
  • knottyyknottyy Wagonist
    Those seats are dope! Congrats on the new toys, bet you're stoked. I like that new exhaust as well, I have been wanting to reroute mine up into the rear drive channel since I'm only a Fwd. There is some super annoying metal on metal buzzing sound coming from underneath my car, possibly from the exhaust manifold on the piping. It's RPM specific and so damn annoying! I have been kinda holding off on doing my exhaust as I'm not quite sure what I want to do performance wise in the future. After taking a ride with driftin90 I am leaning towards boosting my car, which would mean doing something like what you did. Mind me asking what it cost you?
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Driftin90- We custom made tabs that we welded on the seat sliders so we could use the Recaro sliders. We used the adjustment bolt on the inside of the seat to retain the stupid auto seat belts and added another bolt to each frame. I'll try and take more pics when I get a chance.

knottyy- My exhaust came to about $550. I bought some 2.5 inch piping and mandrel bends, 2 tips and a Magnaflow muffler for a total of $250. The other $300 was for a friend to cut, weld and assemble the whole exhaust...and putting up with me being annoying lol.

Hope to make it out to one of you guy's PNW meet in the near future. My wife's family is in Vancouver BC so I'm trying to make it work.

I understand what you mean about boost. I'm working on boosting mine ASAP. I had a JRSC supercharged EF a few years back and I really miss boost. The new wheel and tire combo, exhaust and suspension setup is all being build for a daily/autocross so I'm trying to get everything right the first time which isn't always easy lol.
  • knottyyknottyy Wagonist
    Thanks for that info. Guess it helps having a friend who can help you knock that out, I'd be scared to know what a shop might charge. I love Vancouver, it's one of my favorite cities. I'd live there if I could. Would definitely be cool if you made a meet one day! So what are your goals for your turbo set up? I want to use mine as my daily still as well, so I will probably keep an eye on your thread and take notes. Are you going to buy a kit, or piece it all together? Any idea of what you are going to go with so far? I'm excited for you.
  • If you plan to get rid of the automatic seat belts can you let me know so i can pick up the driver side motor and seat belt. Mine does not work.

Nice build,
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    I'm looking at buying the Jackson Racing supercharger for sale on here. If that doesn't pan out I'll be building a turbo kit from scratch. Most likely a log manifold with a T28 and a black Mishimoto intercooler. I'm itching to get a supercharger again but I think it'll be hard to make the 200 WHP I'm looking for with it. I'll keep you guys updated in the next few weeks. Got a lot of work to do still and some parts that should land in the next week or so :)
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Bitter sweet day my friends. I finally got my Wilwood big brake kit on Tuesday and got around to installing it today. Install went fairly well and I took the opportunity to replace my brake master cylinder since it was leaking. I was pretty excited to get this all together. I purchased the 4 piston kit with 11 inch rotors. I ran into a problem when it was time to get my wheels back on. Turns out the ENKEI RPF1 are way too narrow on the inside and about an inch short of making it over the calipers. BIG disappointment. Especially since the Fat Fives I've got fit just right.

Need you guys' opinion. I might sell the RPF1s and get a new set of wheels then transfer my new tires on there or sell the big brake kit (which I waited 7 weeks for) and install a set of JDM EF9 SiR front brakes and knuckles. What do you guys think??

On with the pics:
    793.jpg
    794.jpg
    795.jpg
    796.jpg
    797.jpg
    798.jpg
    799.jpg

Oh, and I picked up a new daily driver. I sold my Subaru Outback since it wasn't good for towing. I'll use the Pathfinder to go skiing with the family and to tow the Civic on occasion since my buddy has a car trailer.
    800.jpg
  • If it were me, i would sell the rpf1s and get another set of wheelsand just transfer the tires over. But, i dont really like rpf1s. And you have another set of wheels to roll on while you sell the rpf1 wheels, and it woule be way kess of a hassle than changing all the brakes again
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    That's what I'm leaning towards. Not sure what I want to get for wheels next. And the Wilwoods ARE pretty sweet to have.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    RPF1'S are meant for the track. And posers who want to look cool lol. Just do some research and pick up another set of light weight wheels. There are a lot out there to choose from!.
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Any suggestions? I'm building the car for AutoX and track duty as well as a Sunday driver. RPF1 are a really good bang for the buck, just too small on the inside.
  • EastBoundEastBound Band Wagon
    nice to see some people still like to stop before they go fast! :encouragement: i cant wait to see this thing at the show and shine in august. Keep up the great progress!
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Are you going to be there? Did you get yourself a wagon yet?
    yeah i should be there. but no i haven't i saw the white one on kijiji but my buddy said he was going to get it so no for now but the search continues
  • Really love were this project is goin . Keep up the good work . I want to see more
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Thanks. I'm still trying to finish my matte red paint before Sunday's Show and Shine. I'm gonna be swapping my Enkei's with my friend's Advans for the show. I'm still looking at other options for wheels.
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Finished painting my front and rear bumper as well as the roof. I'll take some pics in the daylight tomorrow. I'll have to clean it up later tomorrow. Looking forward to this show being over so I have some nice pictures and I can park the car for a while to give it some more love :)
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Pretty pissed off tonight. Went to wash the car at work and it wouldn't start afterwards. Keeps cranking over and it has some extremely loud gun shot backfires. It drove there fine.

Anyways, I left it at work and won't be able to make it to the show tomorrow. I'll have a better look at it on Tuesday when I get back to work.

I wonder if the timing belt has jumped or something.
  • lecoq wrote: »
    Pretty pissed off tonight. Went to wash the car at work and it wouldn't start afterwards. Keeps cranking over and it has some extremely loud gun shot backfires. It drove there fine.

Anyways, I left it at work and won't be able to make it to the show tomorrow. I'll have a better look at it on Tuesday when I get back
    to work.

Same thing happen to me at the car wash to ended up being that water got into the engine bay thru the washer nozzle and some how running down ontop of my dizzy and moisture got into it and it did the same thing poping sound i took the cap of and saw moisture under the cap . dryed it out and put it back together .it fired up perfect so maybe this will help you
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    Tried that already. It was a bit wet in the cap but it still won't fire up with it cleaned up. Sounds like timing is way off. Won't even catch when it's turning over.
  • realtimefunrealtimefun Senior Wagonist
    i like the progress
    Sorry to hear about the car not starting. you didn't really miss much today anyway. Good luck getting up and running again!
  • lecoqlecoq Wagonist
    I'm gonna start troubleshooting tomorrow and try to figure this out. Worst case scenario it's gonna get a new engine.