Wagon RT4WD Axles

Comments

• SWAGOVAN_AKSWAGOVAN_AK Band Wagon
    I just got replacements for my old axles (both boots were ripped) and a total surprise, orileys had new ones in stock.. so for 120 bucks i got new axles. i havn't put them in yet, should i uprgrade to integra axles instead?!
  • beastmodebeastmode Senior Wagonist
    LowFlyin' wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've had the privilege to work with the guys at SurTrack on my Tape-R LeMons Civic hatch and now with the wagon.

They have 100% new front axles for the 2nd Gen 4WD Wagons.

Brand: SurTrack
    Part #: HO-8104
    4WD or FWD: 4WD
    Front or Rear: Front
    Driver (L) or Pass (R): Driver (L)

Part #: HO-8107
    Driver (L) or Pass (R): Pass (R)

Nice, another brand we could use...
  • I just got replacements for my old axles (both boots were ripped) and a total surprise, orileys had new ones in stock.. so for 120 bucks i got new axles. i havn't put them in yet, should i uprgrade to integra axles instead?!

I went to O'reilleys and got wagon axles that were in stock, but they didn't fit. In their system the RT uses same axles as the rest of them. If they don't fit, get the 90-93 integra axles, they have been working fine for me.
    If you don't have an RT ignore all that :)
  • 91RT4WD wrote: »
    Just attempted the 90-93 integra axle on my passenger front of my '91 RT "Auto".
    Did a careful visual inspection, pics too, will post later.
    The integra axle is approximately 1/4 inch shorter when stood up vertically side by side and compressed. I noticed the my wagon with a centric ring seal on one end, and integra without.
    Went with install anyways and terrifically everything bolted up. Bolted my wheels and did a test spend while the car was still in the air. no spend, wheels locked, assumed it was my calipers locking up to a possible faulty brake bleeding(also did brake job same time as axle). I inspected the installation today hoping it will be the calipers locking up, so I removed the complete caliper and did a test run while jacked. Sure enough, no movement. I assume the inner shaft to transmission did not have spin clearance, checked-cleared. I loosened the 32mm bolt to the axle, it freed a slight movement. Again knowing for sure the inner axle has clearance, it was now the outter axle creating a slight grind. I knew for a fact this is the issue, bearing fitment on knuckle and hub is not compatible to integra. The integra has a larger diameter.

Will post pics later..

Does anyon know if the civic auto sedan axles fit????

probably a little late at this point, but did you try prying off the dust caps on the inside of the hub? I had to do that to use the integra axle on my RT. (not auto though)
  • SWAGOVAN_AKSWAGOVAN_AK Band Wagon
    I went to O'reilleys and got wagon axles that were in stock, but they didn't fit. In their system the RT uses same axles as the rest of them. If they don't fit, get the 90-93 integra axles, they have been working fine for me.
    If you don't have an RT ignore all that :)

hopefully the do or they don't! haha I cant decide... ill see in a few more days. yea i have an RT
  • LowFlyin' wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've had the privilege to work with the guys at SurTrack on my Tape-R LeMons Civic hatch and now with the wagon.

They have 100% new front axles for the 2nd Gen 4WD Wagons.

Part #: HO-8104
    Driver (L) or Pass (R): Driver (L)

Part #: HO-8107
    Driver (L) or Pass (R): Pass (R)

81.jpg

82.jpg

83.jpg

Are you sure those fit. Looking up the part number, they are listed as fitting almost all of the civics from 88-91. The RT definitely doesn't use the same axles as any of the other cars listed.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    beastmode wrote: »
    1989-1991 Honda Civic Wagon RT4wd replacement axles

Brand: A-1 CARDONE
    Part #: 60-4074
    4wd or fwd: 4wd
    Left or Right: Right

4wd or Fwd: 4wd
    Part #: 60-4067
    Left or Right: Left

Part #: 60-4134
    Front or Rear: Rear

Part #: 60-4131

On rockauto these are listed as just 88 civic axles. Can anyone confirm these are actually RT axles that work?? I need to get RT axles since I am lifted and DA ones slight shortness will be an issue... Autozone seems to be giving me some really weird part numbers too. I am hesitant to buy anything until I know FOR SURE its an RT axle. I dont want to be wasting time/money with shipping/returns/multiple installs.
  • with a lil bit of info from you guys i may be able to tell which axle combo will work.

i know you can put the mid shaft from another honda in place and make a custom length. people do this for swaps and hubs/trans that take a certain spline.

so whats the lengths of the axles on the middle part? mid shaft

from the pics the cv part looks the same. the ends that go into the hubs and trans. so if the middle is shorter on the teg axles you might be able to get the mid shaft from another vechile thats the same length as the wagon.

the only con is you have to buy 4 axles to make 2. or have parts laying around.

they friction weld the axles together. so if you have a lathe you can make custom stronger axles for the wagon people.

i will talk with epic tuning and see what they came up with. im sure they have some secret for rt4wd axles by now.
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    tfnaaf wrote: »
    Just did a little research on these axles. The only listed difference that i can find in the catalog is the DA axles are 3mm shorter. I could only see this being an issue if you were lifting the wagon and doing some extreme off roading. Sounds like a good parts interchange to me!
    probably a little late at this point, but did you try prying off the dust caps on the inside of the hub? I had to do that to use the integra axle on my RT. (not auto though)

just went through this, the dust caps are the only other difference and when you torque it down it will pinch and lock the hub. Smack them off with a hammer and chisel or screwdriver or whatever you have to.

dont forget them or you cant get that 130ft lbs before you stake it. you cant even bottom the nut out by hand.
  • 91rt91rt Band Wagon
    Good thread thanks.
  • Just replaced my front passenger today got the new replacement from NAPA asked for the 1990 integra cv driveshaft and when they checked me out the part on receipt listed 1998 integra. here is the part number: NMD 946009 product line: NAPA Maxdrive. In their system it come up as 1990-98 fitment. I was nervous about it because this is the only one in stock and i have 1 week to fix before i ship my car back to the states. Luckily everything mounted up and my car is driving click free. Just wanted to put this info up in case anyone else ran into this problem with NAPA.
  • SkeletorSkeletor Band Wagon
    Can i just use the intermediate shaft from the integra and keep my stock RT4WD axles? Are the Integra intermediate shaft and RT the same length or is it a little bit shorter also?
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    beastmode wrote: »
    1989-1991 Honda Civic Wagon RT4wd replacement axles

Part #: 60-4074

4wd or Fwd: 4wd
    Part #: 60-4067

Part #: 60-4134

Part #: 60-4131
    RoyMan wrote: »
    On rockauto these are listed as just 88 civic axles. Can anyone confirm these are actually RT axles that work?? I need to get RT axles since I am lifted and DA ones slight shortness will be an issue... Autozone seems to be giving me some really weird part numbers too. I am hesitant to buy anything until I know FOR SURE its an RT axle. I dont want to be wasting time/money with shipping/returns/multiple installs.

Anyone have any insight on this if these are really RT axles? I just blew thru my 2nd DA axle and I need to do it right this time..the car is too unreliable to drive long distances :( Is there somewhere else I should buy the axles from that we know for sure they are proper RT ones? autozone is nice for convenience but I dont wanna blow an axle 300+ miles from home.
    @RoyMan I don't know how your searching rockauto.com but i found the axles again. All axles replaced 2011 w/A-1 Cardone when i purchased my RT4wd.

***I am 100% sure A-1 Cardone 4wd axles are a direct fit for my 1990 RT4wd civic wagon you just have to drill down your specific year to get the correct PN#. No axle(both F & R, qty:4) issues since July 2011 and the reason for replacing my axles was due to clicking from my front driver side. Also performed all 4 wheel bearing replacement at the same time.***

1991 honda civic wagon RT4wd/FWD.
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png
    8.png

1990 honda civic wagon RT4wd/FWD.
    9.png
    10.png
    11.png
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    its been a bit since I did the rockauto search. I am more interested in getting em from autozone anyways since I can run into a brick and mortar locally in case I have issues and such.
    O'riley's auto parts got them RT4wd axles.

1990 honda civic wagon RT4wd
    12.png
    13.png
    14.png

1991 honda civic wagon RT4wd
    15.png
    16.png
    17.png
    Autozone auto parts got them RT4wd axles also.

1991 honda wagon RT4wd/FWD.
    18.png
    19.png
    20.png
    21.png
    22.png

1990 honda civic wagon RT4wd/FWD.
    23.png
    24.png
    25.png
    26.png
    27.png
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    Yeah ive seen them on autozones website..I guess I just want to know if they are ACTUALLY RT axles or non RT axles labeled that way. There seemed to be some uncertainty earlier in the thread. Since my RT is lifted I need real RT axles since the non RTs and DA axles are shorter and pop out/fail under stress.
    @RoyMan ohhh I see now! I seen your post in "lifting for dummies thread" someone should get back to you like bam-bam or just PM the guys that's lifted already. Did you read bam-bam's build thread? I would think the answer should be there since he's lifted or any of the other lifted guys build thread for that matter. NOTE: At least O'rileys auto parts lists the length in both Millimeters(mm,metric) and Inches (in,SAE) on one of the brands they carry. Trying measuring the length on what you have now and compare to the measurements above. Good luck with your search! and post your findings here so the next person won't have extended down time like your experiencing.
  • Madr0xMadr0x New Wagonist
    There must have been a change somewhere. Last year when I was looking for axle replacements for the rears of my rt the only place that offered them was rockauto through cordone. Even then I had to send my rear axles off to them to get rebuilt. It was a decent price and quick turn around so no complaints. But seeing those axles posted above from parts stores is a first for me...
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    I can confirm that you can get wagon axles via napa. I ran integra axles on my lifted RT and i ripped through two really quickly on the passengers side......

The teg axles are roughly 1/4 inch shorter than the real RT axles. I ordered mine through napa. Took a couple days to get them. Same cost as any other axle, but that 1/4 inch goes a long way specifically on a lifted wagon.

The first time I ripped the axle out my transmission. The second time i literally ripped apart the inner joint. I think i have photos in my build thread.
  • Took a gamble on the autozone RT axles since I had a giftcard. They are def longer than the DA axles. So far much better driving them...hopefully they actually hold up for a long time.
  • cya02cya02 Band Wagon
    RoyMan wrote: »
    Took a gamble on the autozone RT axles since I had a giftcard. They are def longer than the DA axles. So far much better driving them...hopefully they actually hold up for a long time.
    Which ones did you get? The new or remanufactured?
  • cya02 wrote: »
    Which ones did you get? The new or remanufactured?
    Reman'd ones
  • Okay so my d15b6 uses an intermediate shaft do I just delete that and go with the solid axle, since I'm still using the rt4 tranny?
    bam-bam wrote: »
    Only the RT4wd. All of the 2wd cars have a long left axle instead of the intermediate shaft and equal length axles found on the RTs.
  • Okay so my d15b6 uses an intermediate shaft do I just delete that and go with the solid axle, since I'm still using the rt4 tranny?

I dunno why you want to delete it, but I would keep it.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    You have to keep the half-shaft. Transfer case is in the way.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    yeah you cant use fwd with a 4wd tranny axels
  • So who makes a good axle these days?

SurTrack New = Joints were tight but felt gritty out of the box. Developed really bad vibes and play after 30 miles.
    MasterPro Reman = Best yet, tore an inner boot after 600 miles and developed a lot of rotational slop in both joints
    Import Direct New = Junk, tons of rotational slop, did not even take them home. Plus joints flopped under their own weight

Thinking I will just reboot the original axles, they are tight and just need boots. I did see that Honda still sells the joints, outers are not too bad at ~$70 but the inners are insane $270!

Has anyone looked closely at the OEM parts fiche? It looks like the OEM passenger side inner joint is a plunging cv joint and not the typical tripod joint. Part # 44310-S10-A00

I checked the axles that came with my Wagon, they are both tripods but at 25 years old what are the odds they are the originals to the car?

Can anyone confirm the original OEM inner was a plunging cv?