Lifting a wagon for dummies

Comments

• So how has the lift been working for ya so far?
  • It's holding up well...have not had any issues related to the lift it's self. I'm pretty happy with it. Once I get my drivetrain issues worked out I plan on improving the suspension.
  • Cool speaking of which I heard having increasing your tire size with auto transmissions is a no no. Thoughts?
  • i honestly have no idea on that one....lol super late reply, but i'd assume if you do not gain TOO much weight it won't completely wreck your tranny.
  • Just did mine and I absolutely love it! If I don't have to go on house arrest, I'm gonna use that money to buy some all terrain tires to complete the setup!
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Just did mine and I absolutely love it! If I don't have to go on house arrest, I'm gonna use that money to buy some all terrain tires to complete the setup!

Pics or it didn't happen :)
  • Charb1618 wrote:
    Just did mine and I absolutely love it! If I don't have to go on house arrest, I'm gonna use that money to buy some all terrain tires to complete the setup!

Pics or it didn't happen :)

x2!!! you'd be number 3 with photographed proofs!
  • SkyntaraSkyntara Band Wagon
    I've just finished installing my accord shocks in the front. Haven't had a chance to do the rear yet. I actually used the accord rubbers in the civic tophats. I just trimmed them down a bit.

Seemed to work well, except it meant I needed to compress the spring that little bit more.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    yeah thats what i'll do when i go back over it.....i didn't think of it at the time but shaving them down would have been pretty easy lol. good to see more lifted wagons!!!
  • bob_bipbipbob_bipbip Band Wagon
    i'm in the process of lifting my wagon. but here in france, integra da never came out. so i'm going to use full accord suspension, even the rear. so i'll swap my rear lca with ed7 mk1 (similar to dc2 one) to use it. i hope it will fit :)
    bob_bipbip wrote: »
    i'm in the process of lifting my wagon. but here in france, integra da never came out. so i'm going to use full accord suspension, even the rear. so i'll swap my rear lca with ed7 mk1 (similar to dc2 one) to use it. i hope it will fit :)

I have never looked at the rear end of an accord, So i cant really say for sure if it will work. Did you guys get any Integra's in France?
    we only got dc2 96 spec. no da, and even whith dc integra, we didn't get standard model, like four doors or b18b integra.
    .... and not even the pretty acura rsx you have there ...
    I bet a DC rear suspension would probably work.
    dc shocks are shorter than da, they have the same length than ek/eg shocks:
    http://ef-honda.com/ben/EFhybridsus.php
    a friend of mine is going full prelude suspension. rear prelude shocks are forks, accord are eylet
  • CamoCivicCamoCivic New Wagonist
    Hi there all you civic lifters,
    I'm looking at the info here, and thinking 'gee, I've been wishing my cochecita (1990 4wd) sat a wee bit higher, since I tickle her underbelly on rock all the time.' I've been driving old Subaru wagons until I got this Civic last year, and I still think I have another inch or two of clearance, but I find that thinking I have the space, doesn't count enough. I need to do (or have somebody else do it) some suspension work on her since I know that both of the the front coil springs are both broken. Maybe this is a good time to lift the front a little? (Rear suspension is new last year, no not inclined to do much there). I don't have a garage, but I have all the tools (minus the BFH, but I could scare one up) and I'm not afraid of a job. How much am I looking ($$, range, & time (or shop labor)) to 1) have a regular fix, or 2) get this car lifted a bit? AND, does anybody out there want to DO this? And/or help me. I'm in the Eastern Sierra of CA and free on time until Mid-August. Anybody want to mentor some girl on learning how to get my hands dirty on Civics? I would pay for the experience to just be your 'help' so I can start doing more on my own car.

Thanks for any tips,
    Sharon

p.s. I was out walking last night and a guy tried to sell me his mom's 1986 4wd civic--do I just LOOK like I need old cars that don't run (timing belt/bent pistons, but might have parts my 1990 could use, right?)...
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Well, it's a shame you're on the wrong end of the country. I could fix it with spare parts I have lying around in an afternoon.
    ok so i've just bought euro accord 6gen shocks, and here they are:
    446.jpg

these are the rear ones, as you can see, it's hell of a tall!!!

447.jpg

ok, so i've forgot to say that the short ones are NOT shuttle/ee/ed/ef shoocks, but ek ones. even on the first picture. so basically, you have to remember that front ek shocks are a little bit longer if you trust this site:
    http://ef-honda.com/ben/EFhybridsus.php
    now, the main problem are forks, i don't have accord ones, and a don't know how lenghty they are. the good point is, i can use ek/eg forks if i can't find accord ones
    ho, and by the way, don't worry about the eylet, i'm waiting ed(ef) 1gen rear lca, wich are eyelet too :smug:
  • are you just swapping the accord shocks and struts for the stock ones or are you putting the accords springs on the stock struts? Hope im not to late?
  • are you just swapping the accord shocks and struts for the stock ones or are you putting the accords springs on the stock struts? Hope im not to late?

If you go back and read what i did.....i swapped the top hat from an accord and a wagon. Then I installed the accord shock/spring with the wagon tophat in my wagon....pretty simple.
  • oh ya and what size wheels and tires are you using after you lifted it?
  • I have 205/55/16 on my lifted 88. Loving how it handles, still debating on lifting Clifford....

www.civicwagon.com

Dont know if I should lift or leave stock... hmmmm...
    b9e1d5ba.jpg
  • oh ya and what size wheels and tires are you using after you lifted it?

I am running a 205/70/15 Firestone winterforce tires.
  • IG2manIG2man Band Wagon
    Just lifted an 88 rt4 with EK front springs and struts and DA rear. 7.5" Ground Clearance front and 8.5" rear with stock 13" steelies!
  • phiticuphiticu Band Wagon
    503Wagon wrote: »
    I am running a 205/70/15 Firestone winterforce tires.
    so, using this setup will the wagon get leveled front and back at the same height ?

thanks.
  • tried some worn out 215/60r16 on the lifted wago and would probably be just right if I wanted to remove the front mudflaps, so I guess when I spring for new meats I'll stick with the 205/55 or 205/60 so they will still clear with big tread!
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    WagoDan wrote: »
    tried some worn out 215/60r16 on the lifted wago and would probably be just right if I wanted to remove the front mudflaps, so I guess when I spring for new meats I'll stick with the 205/55 or 205/60 so they will still clear with big tread!

Piiiiiiics!
  • I never had to compress the sprimgs and 2000 si springs work alot better if u want a stiffer ride!
  • Do you need a DA rear sway bar for the lift?
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    Sorry to resurrect this from the dead here, but what kind of polyurethane spacers did you use exactly? I'm accumulating all the parts to do this to my '91, and the only ones I've seen at my local autoparts stores are the kind meant for a sway bar. I'm thinking you have something more along the lines of a control arm bushing, correct?