Lifting a wagon for dummies

Comments

• RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    NobiZero wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect this from the dead here, but what kind of polyurethane spacers did you use exactly? I'm accumulating all the parts to do this to my '91, and the only ones I've seen at my local autoparts stores are the kind meant for a sway bar. I'm thinking you have something more along the lines of a control arm bushing, correct?

Curious about this also.. great writeup otherwise!

Also..it seems like no auto parts stores carry the rear DA Integra springs anymore. Any other springs that would work and achieve the same lift? Wanted to avoid hitting the junkyard and buy new.
  • oo wow i just saw this. thanks wagon for answering my question a few years before i asked it.....
  • Just curious to see how the drive train is holding up on the wagon's that this has been done to? I'm thinking of doing this to one of mine and abusing it some and want to know if it will hold up to it.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    The bushings are just basic sway bar bushings. you can pick them up pre packaged at any local auto parts store.

Unsure of what other springs would work to be honest, I've never tried any others.

Drivetrain is holding up great, only issue i've had is ripping axles apart. But that was from offroading and doing stupid things i shouldn't be doing in a wagon :D
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    503Wagon wrote: »
    The bushings are just basic sway bar bushings. you can pick them up pre packaged at any local auto parts store.

Unsure of what other springs would work to be honest, I've never tried any others.

Drivetrain is holding up great, only issue i've had is ripping axles apart. But that was from offroading and doing stupid things i shouldn't be doing in a wagon :D

You you are telling me going 30mph on jeep roads is a BAD idea? Its SO much fun though!! :D and it blows all the jeep/truck guys minds
  • 503Wagon wrote: »

nice to hear the update.

i am going to try to use some spacers i have in the garage and update you guys with how it works.

so far the accord suspension in the front from a 96 works fine. i hear 90-97 accord front is the same so you can update the first post of required parts.

also if my measuring is correct the da integra rear spring is the same as wagon spring(unsure about rates) but the da strut/shock is longer and the spring perch is mounted up about 2-3" higher. so for rear you just need new struts from a da.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    nice to hear the update.

i am going to try to use some spacers i have in the garage and update you guys with how it works.

so far the accord suspension in the front from a 96 works fine. i hear 90-97 accord front is the same so you can update the first post of required parts.

also if my measuring is correct the da integra rear spring is the same as wagon spring(unsure about rates) but the da strut/shock is longer and the spring perch is mounted up about 2-3" higher. so for rear you just need new struts from a da.

Interesting..is there any way we can find out the spring rates on them? It would be nice to keep the same height but soften the ride up a bit.
  • you can bring it to a spring maker. they usually have the testing machines for spring rates. its like a press with a readout and it tells you number that number is the rate or lb of the spring. also a progressive or a liner spring rate matters. as both are a bit different.

another thing ive been keeping to myself is old man emu springs. they make them for a crv. i know crv guys use teg lowering springs to lower the crv. so why cant teg guys use the crx spring to lift it???? i wish i had a set to see.

i need wagon rear spring rates. i heard the integra da rear is about 173lb spring http://www.team-integra.net/forum/18-suspension-brakes/49444-spring-coilover-specs.html

stole the info from here.

http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=73082

another good spring topic for hondas oem and aftermarket.

also royman is the front too stiff? because the rear should be fine at 175lbs. i know the fronts from accord are stiffer and the valving is ment for a heavier car. but i didnt get to drive my wagon with the new suspension yet. so id like to hear more of what you think
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    Yeah I would say the front is a bit stiff..if you hit a pothole or a solid bump offroad you can feel it pretty good. Would be nice to soften it up some.
  • RoyMan wrote: »
    Yeah I would say the front is a bit stiff..if you hit a pothole or a solid bump offroad you can feel it pretty good. Would be nice to soften it up some.

my only idea other than bigger sidewall tires is to run front spacers instead of the accord fronts.

just use hockey pucks and extended studs like scrappy.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    Yeah I def need to get new tires with bigger sidewalls. I think that will make it nicer.
  • RoyMan wrote: »
    Yeah I def need to get new tires with bigger sidewalls. I think that will make it nicer.

another thing thats still theory right now is that crv front suspension works and lifts the wagon.

they have the smaller diameter spring than the accord so itll fit better and the top hat has 2 bolts just like the civic.

i heard its a better option but i am unsure if it works right now.

if i can get a frnt set for cheap i will do it

edit: also the crv uses the ball and cup rear lca similar to the itr and crv. so for the rear end on them older wagons this might be a good choice.

another thing is the itr uses the same front calipers as a crv. so thats a upgrade
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    I looked into CRV suspension but I had no way of getting any for a decent price. Stil to this day i have not seen any in any of our yards.
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    I'm almost done gathering all the parts to do this. For spacers, I just hacked some old Accord front control arm compliance bushings in half. The bolt hole is big enough, and they all ended up a hair over an inch and a quarter long. I can't for the life of me find any old Integra springs. Are there others that work? Was it confirmed that the stock wagon springs are the same and it's the perch on the Integra strut that gives you the lift?
  • To be honest with you I do not have that answer. I never checked.

I will say that my rear trailing arms are trying to pull out of the unibody where the bushing bolts on. i think there is too much stress where the spacers attach. I've got plans to reinforce the mounting points and go about it another way.
  • 503Wagon wrote: »
    To be honest with you I do not have that answer. I never checked.

I will say that my rear trailing arms are trying to pull out of the unibody where the bushing bolts on. i think there is too much stress where the spacers attach. I've got plans to reinforce the mounting points and go about it another way.

Interested to see how you go about that...with the way I drive im going to need to do something too.
    I'll see if the parts manager where I work can answer me that. I can't find any auto parts stores that sell Integra rear springs. I'm hoping the metal spacers I'm planning on using will spread the load out a bit and prevent the bolts from pulling through.
    Alright. I did some research, and it seems we have a few options here. Nothing perfectly matches the wagon rear springs, but I found some that are really close. We can only look up Honda parts here at work, so I'm not sure how these compare to an Integra. Anyway, the stock wagon spring is 4.02" x 16.75" and weighs 6.616 lbs. A rear spring from a '97 CR-V comes close at 4.49" x 16.51" and weighs 5.882 lbs. There's also the '95 Accord wagon at 4.49" x 17.02" and weighs 7.002 lbs, but the closest one I found was from a '00 Accord at 4.02" x 15.52" and 6.052 lbs. Again, all of these are rear springs, and like I said nothing exact, but I'm sure these are all close enough to use. Have fun.
  • NobiZero wrote: »
    Alright. I did some research, and it seems we have a few options here. Nothing perfectly matches the wagon rear springs, but I found some that are really close. We can only look up Honda parts here at work, so I'm not sure how these compare to an Integra. Anyway, the stock wagon spring is 4.02" x 16.75" and weighs 6.616 lbs. A rear spring from a '97 CR-V comes close at 4.49" x 16.51" and weighs 5.882 lbs. There's also the '95 Accord wagon at 4.49" x 17.02" and weighs 7.002 lbs, but the closest one I found was from a '00 Accord at 4.02" x 15.52" and 6.052 lbs. Again, all of these are rear springs, and like I said nothing exact, but I'm sure these are all close enough to use. Have fun.

If you had a bit more specs on those springs (wire diameter, whether or not that's ID or OD, number of coils), you could calculate the spring rates and find which one may work best.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    yeah it would be awesome to figure out what would keep the lift level.. the DA teg spring is about level but sags a bit with the junkyard age...
    I wish I could, but unfortunately, that's all the info these computers at work will give me. I assume the CR-V and Accord wagon springs would be close since the body shape and weight is similar. Also, the first specification I gave is outside diameter of the spring.
  • Well if anyone wants to bust out a pair of calipers to figure that stuff out, here's the equation you would use:

http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_comp_calc_k.htm

I have a feeling getting the correct Modulus of Rigidity may be the most difficult part. Also, if there's any coating on the springs you would have to subtract the thickness of the coating from the various diameters. Probably just easier to do some research and find out what the designed OEM spring rates are. Would something like that be in a repair manual or something?
    It's not in any of the Honda literature we have, and I work at a dealership.
  • Well that's unfortunate...
    I had some store credit with Rock Auto and decided to give the '00 Accord springs a try since its diameter is identical. I'll report how it fits. Anyone know where I can find new rear strut mounts though? Mine are shot, and Rock Auto doesn't list new rears for the wagon.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    503Wagon wrote: »
    To be honest with you I do not have that answer. I never checked.

you need to remove the spacers. That's the one thing wrong with your method of lifting the wagon. Relocating that pivot without moving the other three locating points is putting you in a bind.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    bam-bam wrote: »
    you need to remove the spacers. That's the one thing wrong with your method of lifting the wagon. Relocating that pivot without moving the other three locating points is putting you in a bind.

but the trailing arm wouldnt bolt in without doing the spacer trick..
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Yes it will. Mine did. I did find it easier to start the UCA and LCA bolts, then the main pivot and toe link.
  • RoyManRoyMan Wagonist
    if I feel motivated maybe I will try again..it wasnt working for me. Tried every possible combo and just couldnt get it..the spacer made it work.

Then again I was working in the smallest garage ever with barely any light so I was pretty impatient lol
  • Bam does have a point. I finally have a second vehicle so I can go through and rework my lift. I'll update as I change things and let everyone know what makes it better and what makes it worse.