Lifting a wagon for dummies

Lifting a 1988 RT4WD Honda Civic Wagon For Dummies

Alright, I am going to do my best to give you all the necessary parts to buy as well as some ones I would recommend to do the job "right".  I'll include estimated costs and I'll put together a rough "tools required" list for the install.  This should make it an easy 3-4 hour garage install for anybody else who wants to lift their civic wagon.

PARTS LIST

DA (1990-1993)  Integra REAR suspension. ~$60 from a u-pull yard.

DA (1990-1993) Integra REAR LCA's (Lower control arms) ~$25 from a u-pull yard

EF/EG CIvic REAR UPPER adjustable camber arm.  I used an EG arm because I had one and it fit. I'm not sure if EK arms are the same.  ~$75-$150 depends which one you want. (mod edit - EF, DA, EK, DC and DB are all the same so any will work)

1990-1993 Honda Accord FRONT suspension. ~$60 from a u-pull yard

Four new 12x1.25 bolts to replace the ones that bolt the REAR trailing arm to the frame.  Honda apparently uses grade 10, I used grade 8 because I've never had that grade fail on me.  ~5$ per bolt.  $20 total.

Poly bushing kit from local parts store (need 1"-1.5" worth of bushing per bolt, four bolts total) ~$25 for two kits.  That was enough to do all four bolts.

Steel tube wide enough to just let your four new bolts slide through.  This tube will be shoved down the middle of the bushings so they will not just crush when the suspension moves.  ~$2 for a small section of steel pipe from local hardware store.(I'll post pictures of my home made bushing setup when I do my drivers side over again)

RECOMMENDED PARTS

Adjustable upper control arm for an EF civic.  $75-$150 depending on brand/style.  I recommend this because it will give you camber adjustment when alignment time comes.  I'll be purchasing this soon.

Longer brake lines or stainless lines.   Price all depends on what you  choose to do.  This is not needed bit recommended if your brake lines look trashed like mine lol.

TOOLS NEEDED

Jack
Jack stands
Basic socket set
Ratchets
Wrench set
Breaker bar/cheater bar
BFH (big fucking hammer)
Pry bar
Cutoff wheel/hack saw

That's all I think of off the top of my head, I'll add more as I think of them.

Once you have got all the necessary items for the lift, its tear down time. I started in the rear. I have an 88 RT wagon so i had to replace the lower control arm as well. I am not sure if the integra lca is necessary on the 89-91 wagon or not. I had to notch the lca to get the strut to fit, just used a cut off wheel to cut a notch in the lca. You need to detach the trailing arm from the frame. there are two bolts going up into the frame, take those completely out. Then detach the upper arm from the hub Next you can take out the suspension. install the DA suspension and bolt in the lca.

508.jpg

This is where i recommend the adjustable upper camber arm.

506.jpg

510.jpg

Now its time to put those bushings in. I'll get detailed pictures of how i made mine when i make my other two soon.

511.jpg

once you get everything tightened up you're done. the rear is super easy. On to the front we go.

FIrst you need to start by compressing the springs on the accord suspension because you have to swap over the top hat from your wagon strut. i recommend using 3 spring compressors because the spring wants to sway/twist with only two.

776.jpg

once you have it compressed enough just undo the top screw and swap the top hats over. remember you must remove the rubber on the underside of the wagon top hat. the accord top hat is slightly bigger than the wagon so the rubber has to go before it will fit.

691.jpg

Now that the top hats are switched, you basically need to take EVERYTHING loose on the front. Take the sway bar loose first.

772.jpg

next take the bar that connects the LCA to the front subframe

773.jpg

next you can release the upper joint. you're going to need a BFH (big fucking hammer) to beat on the upper join until it releases..

774.jpg

775.jpg

now that all of that is loose you can install the accord/wagon hybrid front suspension. once you have it bolted in on top. re-attach the upper ball first. then re-attach the front bar. then finally hook the front sway bar back up. look at that, you're done and you have a ~2.5" lifted wagon!

It's your call wether or not you put an adjustable upper control arm on the front or upgrade your brake lines...i have not done either yet but i plan on it very soon. if there are any questions/comments or you need/want a photo let me know. I may have it, if not i can take some. I'll continue to update this post if i run into any issues.

I also recommend when you finish this you check your bushings frequently. I have no idea how quickly some of the worn out bushings in the suspension will wear out for good with the lift.

Updated with before and after photos. Some pix of Jane before the lift on regular RT wheels

913.jpg

911.jpg

And lifted with regular RT wheels.

777.jpg

And photos with 15" wheels and 205/65 tires on her. I'd wager to say this is as big of wheel/tire combo you can do without rubbing.

839.jpg

840.jpg

Comments

• Any before and after pics of the wagon itself??
  • Nevermind, just found the other thread...
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    Any before and after pics of the wagon itself??

YeH I'll get them posted. I passed out before I got to adding them.
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Just an option or 2 for the subject ...
    844.jpg845.jpg
    oh wait this one is very useful on here .... 846.jpg oh wait this is the site one .. 847.jpg
    Lol nice. I just figured I'd make this thread and ditch the other one. This cleans it up and has all te info in one post rather than spread over four pages lol.
  • now lets see how long it takes someone to figure out how to get those accord struts up front with taking anything apart, lol
    yall figure it out one day

nice write up on it 503wagon, now everyone needs to lift there wagon and have some fun

now one of us needs to get serious about lifting a civic and do this
    it was my buddys 89 Subaru wagon when we were lifting it and putting it on yota axles with 35in tires
    860.jpg
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    This guy beat us all to the lifted off-road monster over 5 years ago...
    Link:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2185291/1988-honda-civic

21852910005_medium.jpg
    21852910004_medium.jpg
    That's not even a wagon anymore. Hell that's not even a civic anymore.
  • woodiwoodi Wagonist
    what happened to the original version of this thread not just this condensed one. There was lots of good discussion and info in there. Sure this shows how you did it but I thought there was some valuable discussion in the longer thread.
    It's going to get linked over here, I think charb just forgot! I'll remind him to out in a link to it. Thanks for the reminder.
  • I like the Monster Civic!
    Me too. Now that I got some serious bills out of my way. I can get back to work on Jane.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    was thinking last night...could you flip the rear lca's over for a little more lift?
  • woodiwoodi Wagonist
    shenrie wrote:
    was thinking last night...could you flip the rear lca's over for a little more lift?

It sure does look like it would give you a little bit... and help with that clearance issue 503Wagon had that required all the cutting. Still not sure why he had to cut and others didn't though.

Maybe I'll try pulling mine out and flipping them over sometime to see what it looks like...that's a real quick easy job...
    All the cutting? All I did was grind down the LCA like 1/8th of an inch. Made it so I didn't have to force anything into place.
  • woodiwoodi Wagonist
    503Wagon wrote:
    All the cutting? All I did was grind down the LCA like 1/8th of an inch. Made it so I didn't have to force anything into place.

Your picture and description made it look a bit more drastic than a slight grinding down with a grinding wheel...
    503Wagon wrote:
    I had to notch the lca to get the strut to fit, just used a cut off wheel to cut a notch in the lca...
    Oh. Yeah it's only like 1/8-1/4 notch in it. Nothing crazy.
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    Im guessing youd have to swap sides too, but just thought it would be an easy inch or so??
    shenrie wrote:
    Im guessing youd have to swap sides too, but just thought it would be an easy inch or so??
    I swapped sides when i installed mine so the integra sway bar would clear the rear differential, but didnt try the upside down idea ..
    1038.jpg
    ^^^^ your exhaust isn't FULLY welded all the way to the cat/header...jealous. Mine is solid pipe all the way back...man!
    503Wagon wrote:
    ^^^^ your exhaust isn't FULLY welded all the way to the cat/header...jealous. Mine is solid pipe all the way back...man!
    oh thats an old PIC...
    im running 2 1/2 inch from Cat all the way to a Flow Master that has a dump truck stack welded on it ....
    :shock:
    836.jpg CAN U HEAR ME NOW...????
    Lol. Yeah I'm planning on swapping exhaust once I get my motor tightened up.

How's your lift holding up? Blown out any bushings yet? I'm replacing my front sway bar bushings soon cuz they look hella haggard.
    503Wagon wrote:
    Lol. Yeah I'm planning on swapping exhaust once I get my motor tightened up.

How's your lift holding up? Blown out any bushings yet? I'm replacing my front sway bar bushings soon cuz they look hella haggard.
    BUshings .... lmao man i never had any bushings to start with .... mine r so far gone i might need alot more than bushings... but Scrappy wont give up .. im gonna wait to do my bushings til after the Pennsylvania meet on 17th of July....
    but i have these end links to install....
    167.jpg
    Im hoping to find more yellow bushings for our wagons..... up not i did find this...

Front
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09-10-WRX-Whiteline-19mm-Front-Sway-Bar-Bushings-/250616088826?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item3a59e208fa 168.jpg
    Rear
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sway-Bar-Bushing-BLUE-THERMOPLASTIC-SET-2-NEW-16-MM-/150590694181?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230fe7a325
    169.jpg
    Excellent. I need to pick up a rear sway for Jane. She needs One like a fat kid needs cake.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    You should update this thread, with before and after pics.
    You....you....you have a point. I'll update when I get off work. Somebody remind me.
    503Wagon wrote:
    You....you....you have a point. I'll update when I get off work. Somebody remind me.
    222.jpg223.jpg
    Lol thanks chip. Updated the OP with some photos!

Still looking to find a stock wagon to park and take pictures with.
  • This makes me want to skip the B20 swap and convert my Wagovan to RT4WD instead.
    This makes me want to skip the B20 swap and convert my Wagovan to RT4WD instead.

Do it!!