1991 rt4wd

So, figured I'd start a build thread on my wagon, though it will be a slow build due to funds. To start, I picked this 3 owner wagon up from Wyoming back in February of this year after selling my '90 Civic EX, and brought it back up here to Idaho. Picked it up with 354xxx on the clock, and am currently approaching 357,000 and am getting ready to pull the motor for a rebuild. So far, have done no modifications to the wagon, it is all original, even still has the dealer installed Kenwood tape deck. My plans for this year are to get it repainted, get some tint, amd some suspension, thinking I'll go with some Megan EZ Streets. Other than that will be concerned with just keeping up on maintenance and replacing what I can. Only purchase so far was a Nardi steering wheel from Vladi that will hopefully be installed soon. On to pics.

On the trailer ready to be hauled back to Idaho
531.jpg

Fresh out of the carwash
533.jpg

Pretty clean interior for its age
537.jpg
538.jpg

The Kenwood installed by the dealer
541.jpg

I know I'm limited to 5 photos a post, so will update with more pictures later

Comments

• ok, so now that I can finally see my posts on my stupid phone, heres some more pictures,
    Rear speaker pods
    539.jpg

No check engine lights or anything
    540.jpg
    Repainted the oxidized window trim on the rear doors and the front and rear wiper arms
    809.jpg
    810.jpg
    811.jpg
    then repainted the trim along the bottom of the windows and hatch
    812.jpg
    813.jpg
    814.jpg
    and finally a picture of the Nardi that I bought from Vladi
    815.jpg
    that's all for now, as I was just laid off on the 25th, so funds are kind of tight right now.
  • Couple small updates, replaced the clutch and flywheel couple weeks ago, the pressure plate looked a little used...
    624.jpg
    Picked up a clean drivers door panel to replace the horribly cracked/peeling one in the wagon, plus snagged a pair of rear headrests.

Old vs new door panel
    625.jpg

Rear headrests
    626.jpg
    Still haven't been able to get the Nardi mounted, I believe the eBay hub I have is the problem.
    Also got the rebuild kit in for the motor, so hopefully will be starting on that soon.
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  • Good looking wagon!! Nice find Post pics of the steering wheels issues that your having a couple of us have nardi wheels so we might be able to help ya out.
  • Nice wagon looks really clean
  • Good looking wagon!! Nice find Post pics of the steering wheels issues that your having a couple of us have nardi wheels so we might be able to help ya out.

For some reason when I put the wheel/horn button/center piece together on the hub while off the car, I can get it tight with no play, but then when I put the hub on the car, then put the wheel on and get all the screws tight, it has play back and forth towards me.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Looks like yoou are off to a good start. Keep it up!
  • Glad you are doing the small details. Really sets these wagons off! :)
  • TommyJusticeTommyJustice Band Wagon
    Nice! That looks like it is in really good shape. I love these red ones with the white wheels.
  • Looks great I love the RT's that paint looks like it should buff out nice.... Interior looks clean, any bigger plans coming up? Did you get your job back... I hope things work out for you..
  • Looks great I love the RT's that paint looks like it should buff out nice.... Interior looks clean, any bigger plans coming up? Did you get your job back... I hope things work out for you..

I love the red and white combo as well. I'm hoping the paint buffs out well, but in its situation (daily driver for its whole life thus the high miles, and I believe a few years sitting uncovered in a field), I'm ok with the faded paint. Interior is really clean, a new drivers seat, new or redone headliner, and a new hatch carpet/spare cover and the interior will be near perfect. As of now future plans are to keep the wagon OEM style, with very minimal mods, that way the value(at least for Honda folk) only goes up. So, plans are to finish the interior, get the motor rebuilt, repaint with original paint code, replace whatever needs it suspension wise, then as for the mods, I'm only planning catback exhaust, tint, and my wish list(bull bar with OEM lights, OEM roof rack, daisy blinds, underseat storage tray, and any other JDM optional accessories i can find). And unfortunately I don't have my job back, still looking for work.
  • Finally got the Nardi installed. Just had to mount it on the hub, then bolt on the hub, then put the horn button and cover on last.
    181.jpg
  • 91ee491ee4 New Wagonist
    looks good Dylan. Have you got to hit the dirt in it much?
  • 91ee4 wrote: »
    looks good Dylan. Have you got to hit the dirt in it much?

Thanks Paul. No, not really, did some slight playing in the mud first week I had it, not much since. I'm interested to see how my all season tires would do out where you were a week or two ago, just not sure where exactly you were haha.
  • 91ee491ee4 New Wagonist
    I was out at Swan Falls if you're talking about the place where I buried it in sand lol.
  • 91ee4 wrote: »
    I was out at Swan Falls if you're talking about the place where I buried it in sand lol.

Yeah that place lol. We need to get all the wagons from Honda208 together and go out there one of these days
  • So have one small, but functional update, went to a local car show two weeks ago, FormFest 2014, and while I was there stopped by a booth for a local import shop, and picked up a 270mm Broadway convex mirror. I love the mirror, it completely eliminated my blind spots on my right side without paying an arm and leg for a clean passenger mirror, and is just the right size for me to have no issues with the sunvisors. I wish I had gotten one sooner.
    34.jpg
  • chaoschaos New Wagonist
    Love your wagon dylan!!
  • chaos wrote: »
    Love your wagon dylan!!

Thanks Ryan! I love yours lol. I cant wait till I get paid next week(or sell the s10, whichever is first) so I can grab that magnaflow from you and have boise muffler put it on.
  • Another 1k bites the dust haha. Still haven't rebuilt the motor yet... May just wait and see how long it lasts before the rebuild...
    218.jpg
  • Get it to 400k! :encouragement:
  • 91 RT4WD wrote: »
    Get it to 400k! :encouragement:
    I plan to get it way past 400k, the only question is how far it'll go without a rebuild haha
  • Got the exhaust done on the wagon today. Looks good, was hoping for a louder exhaust note from the Magnaflow, but guess I'll just have to wait and see if getting a header made and installed and full header back 2.25 will get it a little louder. It'll do for now though.
    357.jpg
  • looks like a super nice install on the muffler though!
  • Yeah the shop I use for muffler work has done a few RTs before, so they know the best way to hang everything. The actually did the work on member chaos' red wagon he just bought.
  • Took the wagon on Honda208.com(local Honda/Acura forum)'s 3rd annual Fall Drive from Boise, Idaho to McCall, Idaho and back yesterday 10/5. On the way there the wagon averaged 29.44 mpg, which I think is pretty good with 358k on an unrebuilt motor averaging 65-70 mph the whole way up save for the mountain twisties, and also burned less oil than I expected. Have always loved this drive and can't wait till next year's. Here's a couple pics me and a buddy snapped of the wagon:

1.jpeg
    89.jpg
  • chaoschaos New Wagonist
    Nice pictures dude. You should throw some Restore in there and see if it helps with the oil burning. Sounds like you got pretty decent fuel mileage too!
  • I actually did throw a can of restore in right before the drive, pretty sure that's why it burned less than I expected.
  • Rolled another 1k the other day, if I lived further than 2 miles from work I could rack up the miles faster

177.jpg

Also hope to have one of the parts from my wish list purchased in the next day or two.
  • I officially spent the most I've ever spent on a car part today lol. Can't wait to get this installed, have an ef defrost switch for it, just need to figure out how to wire it up correctly.

217.jpg
  • SPWSPW Senior Wagonist
    Same thing here. Most money I've spent on a car part was a push bar to haha.