Which D-series can I swap in and keep 4WD?

Comments

• There were no carburated 1988-1991 Civics in the North American market. The last year you could get a carb on a Civic here was 1987.
  • 8wago88wago8 New Wagonist
    Correct, usdm 88-91 wagon 2wd should be the same swap as any other ef/crx correct? I mean, there is nothing that I can find that would make it different.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    MPFI conversion + swap, wrong thread though!
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    Jaker wrote:
    There were no carburated 1988-1991 Civics in the North American market. The last year you could get a carb on a Civic here was 1987.

there must be, because the D15B is dual carb..? your DX wagon is a D15B2, which is dual carb
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    D15B2 is DPFI - Dual Point Fuel injection.

D15B4 is dual carb.

D15B3 is single carb.
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    Haydz wrote:
    D15B2 is DPFI - Dual Point Fuel injection.

D15B4 is dual carb.

D15B3 is single carb.

ahhh ok, sorry my mistake
  • so are we still not sure about the d16y8?
  • udubrx7udubrx7 Senior Wagonist
    I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't own an RT and I don't have a Y8 sitting around, but If your only problem is that there is nowhere to bolt the intermediate shaft bracket, then worst case scenario you could pay someone not too much money to fabricate a bracket. BUT that defeats the purpose of the original question.... what swaps in easily. I know that the Y8 swaps right into the 2wd wagon (with an OBD and MPFI conversion). Just keep in mind that people sometimes put other mfg's engines in the wrong end of cars and then race them, a Y8 swap could definitely be done!
  • downtrooperdowntrooper Band Wagon
    You can also put the d16a9 of the french honda crx 1988/1991 ( dohc 130ch no vtec ) :wink:
  • doitdubdoitdub familEE
    im running the d16z6 and fyi you have to use the a6 oil pan to clear the driveline or just smack the shit out the z6 one to dent it in
    Will any D16A6 swap in, or do I have to swap over oil pans from the RT4WD?

I have a fresh D16A6 from a CRX Si, I plan to swap in, but need to know if I need to swap the oil pans. I hope not because the drain plug on the stock wagon D16A6 is stripped.
  • udubrx7udubrx7 Senior Wagonist
    I know that the Honda part numbers are different for the 4wd oil pan and the crx si oil pan, so you'll probably have to try and look at them and see if you can tell if there is a big difference. BUT since Honda has separate part numbers, you will probably have to re-use the 4wd one. No problem if it's stripped, just tap it out.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    According to evol911, the A6 pans are different (RT/2wd). BUT... he said all DOHC ZC pans work...

I'll look for the thread where he said that, but I can't even begin to remember where...
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Yes the DOHC ZC sump clears the transfer case. Yes the D16A6 will require the RT4WD specific sump.
  • debrisdebris Wagonist
    Ummm.
    Our RT4WD come stock with dual carb D15B's.
  • debris wrote:
    Ummm.
    Our RT4WD come stock with dual carb D15B's.

That sucks. They're all D16A6 MPFI over here. You guys get a lot of good cars we don't get though :( .

God I hate carbs. I was getting my exhaust fixed the other day, and this rich/dumb guy rolls up in an old Corvette he just bought in Ohio and drove to Utah. Well the damn thing runs like shit and keeps stalling. He needed new jets and a dyno tune! I'm making a trip to San Diego which is sea level. If my wagon were carb, I'd have to pull over and tune the fucker! :lol:
  • Haydz wrote:
    Depends on domestic market and model.

Very much so.
    The oil pan on the D16Z6 over here is exactly the same as the D16A6 in the shuttle.
    Or, my shuttle one is wrong. :lol:
    EDIT: ^^^^^ Nope it aint. I've fscked up. My shuttle one is wrong

However everything clears, so what is so different about the USDM oil pan which means you cannot use it?

Plus all D16Z6 have the intermediate threaded here too, but nothing ever got a D series 1/2 shaft in our market other than the DOHC CRX/Civic EF.

EDIT: However all D16Z6's do seem to have the threads
  • Perhaps the info ought to be split up into USDM/UKDM/etc/etc

I guess the safe thing to do is to get a D16A6 out of another wagon (for the u.s. guys) I thought the JDM SOHC ZC would be a easy swap out for a tired USDM wagon D16A6.
  • AntosiusAntosius Band Wagon
    Stock wrote:
    [*]D16Z6 = YES (IF IT HAS THE MOUNTING FOR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT)
    [/list]

I'm thinking of doing a D16Z6 swap into my 91' RT4WD. Theres quite a few D16Z6's for sale arround here and i'm wondering how do I exactly check "If it has the mounting for the intermediate shaft"?
  • Antosius wrote:
    Stock wrote:
    [*]D16Z6 = YES (IF IT HAS THE MOUNTING FOR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT)
    [/list]

I'm thinking of doing a D16Z6 swap into my 91' RT4WD. Theres quite a few D16Z6's for sale arround here and i'm wondering how do I exactly check "If it has the mounting for the intermediate shaft"?

Look near the oil filter.
  • WagonAttackWagonAttack New Wagonist
    got my SOHC ZC ordered yesterday. i'll let you guy know how it goes lol. i've heard on some ZC's the bolt holes for the trans aren't tapped, but i've heard on these they are. i guess i'll find it all out once the motor gets here.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    893.jpg
  • About EUDM D16A9 (Civic and CRX 1.6i 16):

I swapped a D16A9 (DOHC ZC : 130ch) into my friend '91 RT4WD Shuttle (D16A7), the swap was easy because the Shuttle was a 2nd Gen : The Car's Harness include the wires for the D16A9's Cam Sensor.
    So you you must have a 2nd Gen D16A9 (or a 1st Gen D16A9 with 2nd Gen Harness + 2nd Gen manifold) and a 2nd Gen Shuttle with the good harness... On 1st gen RT4WD you have to swap the harness or Customise it.

I menaged to keep the power steering using a bracket + pump from a Rover 216 GTi (or Honda Concerto 1.6i 16)
    Civic and CRX 1.6i 16 don't come with power steering.

My question is about Civic EM2's D17 engine : Does it feet a RT4WD Transmision ?
    Thanks.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    In theory, yes. but i don't think anyone has tried.

So we know that for;
    JDM
    -DOHC ZC is direct swap
    EDM
    -DOHC ZC is semi-direct swap
    USDM
    -DOHC ZC is relatively direct swap

:lol:
  • droopydroopy Band Wagon
    can i keep my stock block from a 90 Rt4wd and jus put a vtec head on it? and if so which would be the best vtec head?
  • droopy wrote:
    can i keep my stock block from a 90 Rt4wd and jus put a vtec head on it? and if so which would be the best vtec head?

http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/more ... inime.html

611.jpg
  • droopydroopy Band Wagon
    superhatch wrote:
    droopy wrote:

http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/more ... inime.html

Thanks superhatch, exactly what I needed. Btw awesome pic lol!!!!!
  • i have an 87 carbureted rt4wd, any swap options for me? or will converting everything to FI cost too much?
  • GeNXGeNX Wagonist
    My honda book says A8/A9's have 137hp and Z6 125 stock

But Wiki says A8/A9's have 120hp and Z6 121hp stock

What's the real numbers?
  • Only 2:40AM and I've already learned something new today...
  • 91awd91awd Wagonist
    Well from my y8 build I had lined up for my rt now is shot..lol cuz until now I forgot about the dam half shaft.. and for everybody out there a y8 block WILL NOT WORK there are now way to bolt or to drill and tape for the half shaft...damit I guess I have to find me a z6 block...lol oh well u live and learn threw mistakes.. so now we know a y8 block will not work for a rtawd swap...