Which D-series can I swap in and keep 4WD?

I swear I've searched, but all I really saw was a couple "for sures" and a lot of contradicting... Maybe this thread can be added to the FAQ once people chime in?

I've got a '91 RT4WD with the 220,XXX A6 on it's last legs (~100 miles to the quart) and with it being my DD I need to find a running D16 to swap into it.

RT4WD compatible D16's are:
  • D16A6 = YES[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • D16A1 = NO[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • D16Z6 = YES (IF IT HAS THE MOUNTING FOR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT)[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • SOHC ZC = YES[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • DOHC ZC = YES[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • D16A8/9 = YES[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • D16Y8 = NO[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]
  • D15's = NO[/*:m:sl9cxtu0]

Comments

• I don't know if we have a for sure answer on these, just what my memory and research has been:

D16A6=YES
    D16A1= NO
    D16Z6=YES IF IT HAS THE MOUNTING FOR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
    SOHC ZC=YES
    ZC/D16A8/9=YES
    D16Y8=NOT SURE
    D15's=NO

Actually any D-series motor (besides the 86-89 Integra because of the drivers side motor mount) will work. Some motors would require DPFI to MPFI conversion. Some motors would require OBD0-OBD1/2 conversion. Some motors will not have the mounting holes drilled and/or tapped for the intermediate shaft that the RT4wd's use, in that case you will have to run unequal length half-shafts. Unequal length half shafts have no negative effects on a DD, but cause torque steer to the right side of the car because of the torsion on the different length half shafts. ITs the same principle when using an extension on a torque wrench, the reading will be incorrect because the extension will twist causing a lower ft/lb reading.

Personally if you just want a good drop in motor that will provide a little more power and will probably cost the same or less than a D16A6, I would go with the OBD Non-VTEC SOHC ZC.
  • StockStock Wagonist
    Edited first post, I'll keep adding to it until it's right. 8)
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    NOTE: SOHC VTEC ZC's don't come with the holes tapped. Well the ones i have seen havn't. Also, D16Z6, some are tapped and some aren't. Odd.
  • StockStock Wagonist
    2 replies? :|
  • im running the d16z6 and fyi you have to use the a6 oil pan to clear the driveline or just smack the shit out the z6 one to dent it in
  • I thought a D15B would fit... but that's not true???
    Haydz wrote:
    D16Z6, some are tapped and some aren't. Odd.
    NOTE: SOHC VTEC ZC's don't come with the holes tapped. Well the ones i have seen havn't. Also, D16Z6, some are tapped and some aren't. Odd.

A D16z6 white out tapped holes can me dropped in whan you tapped te holes???
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    My D15B VTEC doesn't even have the landing for the int shaft to attach to let alone the holes for tappage.

And err... second sentance i can't make head or tail of.
  • Jester ee4Jester ee4 Band Wagon
    Uhm... So i need a D16z6 whit the holes tapped???
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Yeah either that or tap them yourself.
    Ok thats what i ment :lol:
  • viewtopic.php?t=4596

this might help
    A dohc ZC is the same as a D16A8/9 or D16Z5???

I don't know what a dohc ZC is :oops:
  • Jester ee4 wrote:
    A dohc ZC is the same as a D16A8/9 or D16Z5???

I don't know what a dohc ZC is :oops:

D16A8/9
    Thanks.

ZC swap coming soon 8) (cheap and nice HP level)
  • Jester ee4 wrote:
    Thanks.

ZC swap coming soon 8) (cheap and nice HP level)

till you wont to upgrade parts then your phucked! go with a z6 imo
    hmm... those are expensive in holland.
    they ask 900 Euro for a good one :?

Dohc zc 300 - 400 euro.

Already checked out http://www.d-series.org/
    there are nice upgrades possible
  • If you are in Holland then definetly go with the ZC. Easy to find parts even in the states.... D16A8/9 parts work for EDM/JDM(if you are outside the US), D16A1 parts work for USDM. Some internals(mainly cams/cam gears) are different between the motors but as far as upkeep most auto parts stores usually stock gaskets and such for the D16A1 here in the US. And eventhough the ZC is becoming rarer and outdated, companies still make parts for them. Believe me... I just got a whole bunch of different stuff for my ZC from Cometic, Crespo, Hondata... HKS even makes headgaskets for them still. PM7 ECU's might be hard to find but there are alot of different options for an ECU and with chipping becoming so cheap, you don't really need the correct ECU if you get yours programmed with the correct fuel/ignition maps.
    Sweet 8)
  • When i put mine in, it went pretty easy. Nice upgrade!!! 8)
  • I guess maybe it's country specific.
    Anything with the mid shat tapped is the rule over here.
  • SamaoSamao Band Wagon
    i'm in the process of swapping my 91rtawd to a z6. Its actually not bad at all, but is the positioning of the nontranny side motor mount different? im pretty sure the a6 mount sits more forward....either way simple swap; looking forward to drivving it again
  • Samao wrote:
    i'm in the process of swapping my 91rtawd to a z6. Its actually not bad at all, but is the positioning of the nontranny side motor mount different? im pretty sure the a6 mount sits more forward....either way simple swap; looking forward to drivving it again

you have to swap over the drivers side motor mount from the a6 motor.
  • SamaoSamao Band Wagon
    yea thats wat i figured, when you look at it, it just seems way off, thanks for the concrete answer tho :)
  • I have a chance to get a D16y7 with tranny, ecu, ac, ps for cheap.

Will this work in my 91 RT4wd civic wagon?
    Can I mount this motor to the wagons 6 speed tranny?
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    what about B-series engines?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Marc_EE9 wrote:
    what about B-series engines?

None... this thread is specifically about engines that bolt to the standard transmission. No B's will bolt up that i know of.
  • 300zx300zx Wagonist
    Stock wrote:
    I swear I've searched, but all I really saw was a couple "for sures" and a lot of contradicting... Maybe this thread can be added to the FAQ once people chime in?

I've got a '91 RT4WD with the 220,XXX A6 on it's last legs (~100 miles to the quart) and with it being my DD I need to find a running D16 to swap into it.

• D16A6 = YES[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • D16A1 = NO[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • D16Z6 = YES (IF IT HAS THE MOUNTING FOR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT)[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • SOHC ZC = YES[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • DOHC ZC = YES[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • D16A8/9 = YES[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • D16Y8 = NOT SURE[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]
    • D15's = NO[/*:m:2kp7x9f8]

I fit a D15 in my 4WD civic, I just finished it this weekend, the intermediate shaft has one bolt holding it in.
  • 300zx wrote:
    Stock wrote:

• D16A6 = YES[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • D16A1 = NO[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • D16Z6 = YES (IF IT HAS THE MOUNTING FOR THE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT)[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • SOHC ZC = YES[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • DOHC ZC = YES[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • D16A8/9 = YES[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • D16Y8 = NOT SURE[/*:m:22nldgjb]
    • D15's = NO[/*:m:22nldgjb]

I fit a D15 in my 4WD civic, I just finished it this weekend, the intermediate shaft has one bolt holding it in.

:shock: :shock: I don't know if thats such a great idea, only one bolt... Good luck with that :wink:
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    8wago8 wrote:
    So with the 2wd wagons, Is the zc/z6 a direct bolt in? All i can find is info on the 4wd. I would assume it is no different than any other 88-91 civic. I hope I'm correct in my assumption?

most 2WD models were dual carb, so you need the fuel tank and lines from an MFI wagon, loom etc..

no different to civic HB swop.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Depends on domestic market and model.