What do your B16A engines rev at with the S1/J1 transmission?

wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
Quick back story, I'm not completely new to the world of B16A engines and transmissions, it's just that the time frame between me having and/or riding in a car with one is quite spaced out. I had a DA teggy about 10 years ago that had a B16A swap, however I am not sure which transmission was in it. The point being that a few years ago I did a B16A swap allegedly out of a JDM Integra XSi into my wagon and the thing is hitting 4000 rpm at around 55 mph. This hasn't really bothered me too much as I only drive the car around town once every other week or so, but the second I take it anywhere for more than 30 minutes it just is unbearable. Interstate? Forget it. At 70 mph I'm at 5500 rpm. I would love to be able to drive long distance to cr shows and meets but at this point I would not do it.

Now my question is, what do you people out there with this swap rev at 55 mph? I would assume the same as me..??

I've daydreamed about doing an LS 5th gear swap but parts are almost non-existent. Also toyed with just doing a full LS trans swap, does this drastically hinder acceleration? (I would imagine not as I'm now 95% sure my old DA had it's original LS transmission and it seemed quick enough).

Anyway. Looking forward to everyone's answers.

Comments

• wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    I might add I know my tach is a little off, +/- 500 rpm but nevertheless it is still very high and LOUD which tells me it is still revving very high...
    The forum really this dead?
  • Yes, yes it is. Sorry, I haven't done my swap yet so I am no help. I can check my B16A3 Del Sol later tonight!
  • I am right at 3,000 RPM at 55 MPH in my stock Del Sol with a B16A3 and a Y80 5 speed trans, no LSD sadly. Strange that yours is so much higher.
    Thanks for checking that out man. I have no idea why mine is so damn high... did I get a one-off factory freak transmission? haha
  • quartersquarters Council Member
    wagodizzle wrote: »
    4000 rpm at around 55 mph. This hasn't really bothered me too much as I only drive the car around town once every other week or so, but the second I take it anywhere for more than 30 minutes it just is unbearable. Interstate? Forget it. At 70 mph I'm at 5500 rpm. I would love to be able to drive long distance to cr shows and meets but at this point I would not do it.

Now my question is, what do you people out there with this swap rev at 55 mph? I would assume the same as me..??

I've daydreamed about doing an LS 5th gear swap but parts are almost non-existent. Also toyed with just doing a full LS trans swap, does this drastically hinder acceleration? (I would imagine not as I'm now 95% sure my old DA had it's original LS transmission and it seemed quick enough).

Anyway. Looking forward to everyone's answers.

I have a JDM XSI LSD tranny in my B20wagon, i rev @ 4,400 ish @70mph. 5500 leads me to believe your tach is way off. It would take some serious transmission mods to have it rev where you are at.

LS tranny will kill any fun of a b16. either do an LS 5th, or get used to revving like a maniac. that's what i do. Did a 20hr drive across country revving 4500 the whole way.
    http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/temp/Bgears.htm look at the bottom chart.
    thanks quarters. I'm going to see if I can get a different tach hooked up to check what it actually is!
    It could be the tach signal wire coming off the distributor, or the distributor itself can cause faulty readings. Perhaps try a different dizzy and see if that makes any difference. Does the tach needle bounce at all? It it does, that's likely the issue.
    This is the 3rd or 4th dizzy that shows a wrong reading, I know this because at idle the tach reads at 0. It was like that with my old D16Y7 engine, and with the B16A.

So I believe the tach itself is malfunctioning, needle does not bounce.

But which is the signal wire coming off the dizzy?
    Wow!! We both have the exact same problem! Mine reads 0 at idle and gives me all kinds of messed up readings as well. Classic. If it was like that with your old engine (different dizzy) I imagine you have a wiring issue somewhere. Same as me... i just quit caring hah. Im not sure which wire, you could googelize that.
    glad I'm not alone lol! I quit caring too.. very long time ago haha