B series A/C ?

Does anyone know how to get A/C in a b series swap? Im not sure if i have the room to do it, but i need A/C Texas is too damn hot!:mad:

Comments

• 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    Im sure that there is a way some how with ef9 stuff, but the way i did it was by using the stock single cam ac bracket and notching it to bolt on to the b series engine you should get atleast two bolts to line up
  • you need 1/2 radiator, get the conversion bracket or use the b series oem stuff and have custom ac lines made. slim fans also.
    :smug: good luck
  • lilROOKZlilROOKZ Wagonist
    1988rt wrote: »
    Im sure that there is a way some how with ef9 stuff, but the way i did it was by using the stock single cam ac bracket and notching it to bolt on to the b series engine you should get atleast two bolts to line up

ok so you have b series and AC, i dont have a half core just yet guess ill put that on the list. Honestly ive been thinking of doing something like what the old school rat rod guys do something like this http://www.amcpacer.com/images/kenosha/kenosha-15-window-ac.jpg
    lilROOKZ wrote: »
    ok so you have b series and AC, i dont have a half core just yet guess ill put that on the list. Honestly ive been thinking of doing something like what the old school rat rod guys do something like this http://www.amcpacer.com/images/kenosha/kenosha-15-window-ac.jpg

Its really simple to just use the honda one and it lines up perfect
  • i had an ef with a b20 and ac- my 88rt is still d16a6- just finished installing the ac :cool: now working on getting all the parts for a b swap.
    Im pissed i didnt put ac in a long time ago it was easy. the Bswap is going to be just a bit of work.
    i had an ef with a b20 and ac- my 88rt is still d16a6- just finished installing the ac :cool: now working on getting all the parts for a b swap.
    Im pissed i didnt put ac in a long time ago it was easy. the Bswap is going to be just a bit of work.

Yeah i hear ya man im so mad at myself I didnt just do the A/C when I was doing the swap. At the time tho I was living in Indiana and its tolerable there, but Texas. NO WAY! I need A/C and I dont need 3 cars so, looks like im gonna try to make this work!
    Thanks guys!!
  • its super easy, the hard part is pulling the front of the car off- rad t support and just to make life easy take out the radiator. its a tight fit but you can make it work w/ a full size radiator just put the fan in front of the condenser.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Innovative and Hasport both make a conversion bracket to bolt your original (Sanden) compressor to the B-series block.
    Uses all of the stock lines, fans, radiator etc.
    bam-bam wrote: »
    Innovative and Hasport both make a conversion bracket to bolt your original (Sanden) compressor to the B-series block.

Yup ive seen that kit too, I got bored one day and modified the stock one and it lined up really good
    bam-bam wrote: »

Thanks bam-bam I'm gonna check into that kit, I've got the stock radiator with slim Mishimoto fans, so hopefully I can squeeze that compressor in there.
    Gonna check this out more tomorrow at work!
    Only thing that's gonna kick my A$$ is the fact that I just bent till they broke the stock A/C lines. -____- you live and you learn I guess.
  • the lines are cheap at the yard, I just did my whole ac for 130$ thats everything down to the last clip to hold the wire harness. to make life easy take out the radiator so you dont smash it while putting in the compressor. just clean everything before putting it back in "AC flush at the parts store", also replace every oring.
    If you wait till the 5th i can get you the lines cheap. ecology is having half off everything here in san diego and send you the orings- enough to do the complete system. just let me know.

innovative and hasport mounts do make the bracket just know what compressor you have because they both work with the sanden but only one works with the matsushita compressor i think. you can keep the full size radiator but the slim fan may or may not fit. the fan is needed so it may need to be put in front of the condenser.
    Good luck!
    If i could run all my A/C lines for $130 I'd do that all day! I did check out that Hasport A/C mount, I plan on getting that soon, gotta get the car back up and running first. I'm very interested in how you can get me these lines and what they would be shipped to 76131.
    PM me

thanks
  • PM me the compressor model you have and what lines you need. there are 7 lines the two soft ones off the compressor, 5 hard lines 2 go to the evap inside your car, 2 go to the dryer, 1 that goes in front of the condenser.
    tech 8 lines but the last one is part of the evaporator, it hooks to the expansion valve and i count it as oart of the evap unit.
    LMK
    I paid 130 for everything "compressor, evap, harness, fan, condenser, lines, every nut bolt clip and then some" so guessing 30$ but dont quote me- Ill just buy them anyway and let you know the price so if you dont want them I have another set. its also half off that day :smug:
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    My 1989 wagoavn has a b16a swap and i've been trying to figure out what specific sanden compressor, lines, o rings and all that I need. I don't have any oem AC parts for the car so i'm starting from scratch. I've been doing a lot of research and all I know is that I need a certain type of sanden compressor, and the bracket from hasport. Any help will be much apreciated! -Mike
  • From what I've read you can actually use a P54 bracket that will bolt to the B16A but then use the D series compressor. Otherwise as you're doing everything from scratch entirely, why not just get everything that came with whatever that B16a was out of.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    When I bought the wagon it already had the b16 engine in it. The guy bought the engine and tranny from the jdm japanese tiger site so i don't know where or what to look for... :/
  • There should be a code on the engine that will break it down what it is further. B16a1 or a2 etc. That might help narrow down what you need a little better when you can identify the vehicle range it fit in.

Honestly though if I were in that situation I'd just get that P54 bracket that way you can use all D series stuff, we know what we need for those and it would likely fit up a bit easier.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    I would definitely rather use p54 bracket so I can use D series parts. It sounds a bit cheaper as well which is nice haha. Uhh..So my engine says just b16a so im guessing it's a 1st generation and not a 2nd...
  • Yep, definitely so, I did a little more digging and found this on hondatech
    "you can use either a del sol p54 or a crv p7h"

Looks like they might both be the same part number, so that gives you some choices if you're doing the pulling yourself. I also saw that there was an aluminum bracket off a type R integra that fits and is lighter weight, if that's of any concern, so that might be an avenue to look into as well.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    Awesome! thanks a ton man! This is all really helpful. I called my local junk yard up and they have a 2000 crv. I wonder if the bracket from that year would work.. Do you know where I could find all the parts for the d series AC set up that would work with the bracket? Or should i just keep looking at junk yards for all that..?
  • Possibly so, the part number for a 2000 CRV is 38930-P7J-000 which looks to still be available from Majestic or any of those online database places for $70 ish.

I'm definitely not claiming any validity to this being 100% for certain as I've not done it myself and just did some searching. The part number for the P54 bracket though is 38930-P54-000 and I wager there's some other idler stuff or what not that goes on it that you'd also need.

I did find this as well though in hunting around which is also in reference to D series compressor on B series motor:

These are the correct part numbers to put your D-series compressor on your B-series motor:

38930-P7J-000 CRV Bracket
    38930-P54-000 Del Sol Bracket

So if they have a 2000 CRV in there, that would indeed be it. Like I said though, don't blame me for anything that doesn't work please =D And if it does, well please document with photos along the way so we can have that here for reference. Do a writeup on it and it would be a great thing to get added to the quick links.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    I won't blame you at all. No worries. I just really appreciate the help! And yes, I will have to do a write up if all is good!
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I have no experience with the Cr-V or Del Sol brackets. What I DO know is that the Innovative bracket has worked perfectly for me several times. I recommend it.

As far as the rest of the AC system, you can pull it from any 88-91 Civic, but be sure it's the Sanden compressor a d not the MatsuSHITa.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    ok! thanks for all the help guys! :encouragement:
  • +1 on it being Sanden vs Matsushita. I'm in Texas and I have a Matsushita. It leaves me with a button I can push to kill engine power and blow tepid air from the dash.

The remanufactured kits shouldn't have a problem. I'd just buy from someone who has a decent warranty on it. Any fresh hoses you buy should come with o-rings. You can get o-ring kits anywhere though.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    So I bought a Sanden compressor for my year Civic which is 1989 and the holes don't match up with the PJ7 CRV bracket. Does anyone have any experience with this specific situation?
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    I ended buying an "Innovative" bracket and it bolts up well with my new compressor! all my lines are installed with new O-rings. Am also buying a second fan. should fit fine.

Does anyone know what type and size belt to use???
  • I'd just count the grooves and throw a fabric tape measure around the pulleys. With the innovative bracket it might change things to where a stock belt doesn't work. I like Gates brand myself from oreilly they're usually USA made. They're just all sold by length anyway so you can tell em you need a belt for a 4 groove pulley in whatever length it ends up being.
  • FinnyFinny Band Wagon
    thanks man!