Hello from Seattle

I'm James and this is my '91 RT. I've been wanting one of these since I was a kid. I spent the summer away from home in NorCal, but meanwhile I was scanning Craigslist every day for Brats, Colts, and Wagons; anything goofy, Japanese, 30mpg+ and preferably 4WD. When this post came up, I knew I'd have to pull some strings and make it work out. And when I got back in September, there was a wagon in my driveway. Which had me like:

432.jpg

I bought the wagon from the 2nd owner (he and the 1st owner were brothers) with 147,000 on the clock. First things first, gotta change all your fluids: Castrol 75w-90 in the diff, Honda MTF in the tranny, and 5w-30 synthetic in the oil pan. It was grinding hard into 3rd, but I was able to clean up the shifter box with some home-made bushings so it shifted smooth as butter. The PS rack was leaking, and since I dislike power steering, I cleaned up an Si rack and put it in with new front-end hardware. Moog balls all around, Koyo wheel bearings. Urethane bushings for the sway bar. I got it aligned at TruLine Seattle. These guys will make your car drive laser straight!

433.jpg

434.jpg

I took a chance on some Prothane steering rack bushings that claimed to be power steering only. Turns out they fit a manual rack just fine. PN 807-1.

I picked up a set of HX wheels. Here is the wagon in its element, hauling two sets of wheels and tires like it's NBD:

435.jpg

Next, a few minor things like wiper blades, door seals, interior parts, blower resistor, seat latches, thermostat...

436.jpg

437.jpg

438.jpg

Which brings us up to date:

439.jpg

440.jpg

What's next? Fix some bumper sag, replace a missing mudflap, and I've got this squeal coming from under the car that I suspect is a carrier bearing. Other than that, I'll just be enjoying one of the few and ever-dwindling stock wagons.

Comments

• Very nice. I love it. <3
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    My pics weren't so good, here's one taken out from under the shadows:

138.jpg
  • slo88crxslo88crx Senior Wagonist
    Welcome!! Looking good!! I'll be moving back up there come summer!! From Bremerton!
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    Looking good! When looking for that squeak, check u-joints,too. Especially if it's a pulsing chirp at low speed.
  • jaspersjaspers Band Wagon
    Awesome stock wagon!

I own a '91 RT too! it just happens to be red and stock too! Its nice to see a stock wagon :smug:
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Looking good! Nice job on the rack!
  • Thanks for the kind words, all.

Unfortunately, I've had to neuter the wagon :sorrow:

332.jpg

The squeal was getting pretty bad and I started getting some bad vibration. Must be joints or bearings because the car is steady and silent without the driveshaft. I'm going to keep it in 2WD mode until I feel like getting the work done. Anyone in Seattle done business with Drivelines NW?

333.jpg
  • I'm currently rebuilding my viscous coupler, you could try that. It's cheap and pretty simple. Here is a link and make sure you watch the video at the end, it has all the part numbers you need. I'm also buying a gallon of fluid which is way more than I need if you end up needing some. http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?9747-DYI-rebuilding-repair-RT4wd-Viscous-Coupler
  • What are some symptoms of a failing VC?
  • Never heard of them causing vibration but doesn't mean it can't. They leak and the bearrings and seals die and the rear wheels won't engage.
  • I'll have the driveline shop check out my VC and if it needs fluid I'll know where to go :encouragement: Thanks!

Here are some interior pics since I haven't yet posted any:
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png
    8.png
    9.png
    10.png
    11.png
  • Looks good. Could be u-joints or carrier bearings too.
  • I'm pretty suspicious of the carrier bearings. I'll probably just end up doing all of the ujoints and both carrier bearings while it's out so I can (hopefully) quit worrying about this for good.

The driveline is going into Drivelines NW in Everett on Friday for a repair estimate, I'll report back next week with details.
  • All of the part numbers you need are on the website. Let me know if you need help finding them.
  • Well, doesn't look like this driveshaft problem is going to be easy. :| NW Driveline looked at it like they'd never seen a driveshaft before. Basically turned me away without a quote or anything.

Any leads on a shop that can tackle a driveshaft rebuild would be great. I think I can handle the center bearings and maybe even a VC rebuild, but the ujoints are way out of my wheelhouse.
  • vash121991vash121991 Band Wagon
    im also from everett!
  • MrJayDMMrJayDM Wagonist
    Wow looks nice..
    Your interior is immaculate!!
  • sohawksohawk Wagonist
    1.png

Alternator decided to die 200 miles from home, so I got to replace it, in a parking lot, in the rain.

I've made the executive decision to roll in 2WD mode until Winter and focus on other stuff. That being said, I replaced my missing mudflap and go the bumper lined up. Snagged a grey ash tray. Also, the front bumper lights look so much better without the ambers.

Then it got real waxy over the weekend.

2.png
    3.png
    4.png
    5.png
    6.png
    7.png
    8.png
    9.png

My arm hurts.

Treats coming soon.
  • 91 RT4WD91 RT4WD Wagonist
    Make a build thread.
  • Yeah, no kidding. You've well introduced yourself already, this thread is done =D