Rear Archs/ Fenders Repairs - how have you done yours?

My shuttle is booked into the bodyshop this weekend to save it from the scrap head.

They have asked me to supply the rear Arches / Fenders repair panels for the job.

Im looking for people opinions on what you have used?

Comments

• NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    From what I've heard, you have 2 options. Either find a solid donor vehicle, or get some EF hatch quarters, and cut them to fit.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    these are for an 88-91 4 door civic .From klockerholm USA .28.00 a side plus shipping .The drawback is that the pillar behind the door is 1/2" narrower than on a wagon .But it matches all the lines .You have to reshape the area at the rear where the bumper slider mounts go , it needs to concave in rather than be bumped up like the sedan .And as with all weld in patches you trim it to fit .
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Grabbed the wrong link :119.jpg
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    after trimming and tack welded430.jpg
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Filled and initial paint.the drawback is the rocker cover is 1/2" too long but it still looks good .
    431.jpg
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    I just looked at your thread and I see how you solved the width problem.Looks good , there are many ways these sedan arches can be used .Nothing like new metal for strength and appearance .
  • BattleWagonBattleWagon Band Wagon
    Awesome job man. My wagon is in dire need of new quarters on both sides, looks like I will have to order some 4door quarters!
  • BattleWagonBattleWagon Band Wagon
    Good news for myself and anyone else interested in picking up some new quarters;
    http://www.fixmyrust.com/index.php
    Both sides for $37.44 plus shipping
  • VLxTurtleVLxTurtle New Wagonist
    wftb wrote: »
    Filled and initial paint.the drawback is the rocker cover is 1/2" too long but it still looks good .
    431.jpg

does the trim piece that goes by the door handle fit? by this picture it looks to be too thin....
  • therichisgoodtherichisgood New Wagonist
    I almost pulled the trigger on a pair (left and right) of 4 door sedan wheel arch repair metal pieces but I noticed it looks a little different in pictures.. I'm assuming they're different in real life too, so now where do I find Wagon specific metal?
    138.jpg
  • GizmoGizmo Wagonist
    you wont fint Wagon specific metal, unless you find a good donor vehicle or buy from the dealer.

Using Hatch or Sedan panels is your best bet
  • NobiZeroNobiZero New Wagonist
    It looks like you lose a little bit of metal at the front of the wheel arch which is just extra sheet metal anyway, it's not structural so it shouldn't matter unless you've got aesthetic OCD and it's got to be wagon-correct. I for one wouldn't mind some extra tire clearance.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    VLxTurtle wrote: »
    does the trim piece that goes by the door handle fit? by this picture it looks to be too thin....
    stock trim piece will not fit you arecorrect .we are using cut to fit 3 1/4 " wide vinyl mouldings as our OEM stuff was shot any ways .
  • dmoore0412dmoore0412 Wagonist
    I just finished up my pass side using a sedan rear. there is about 1" difference when it comes to the front section of the arch. The wheel looks a tad uncentered. I'm looking into finding some vw rabbit rear panels. They will help wo th the gap and flare out some also.
  • DatWagonThoDatWagonTho Band Wagon
    I heard use civic front fenders and swap sides.
  • wftbwftb Wagonist
    Thought I would add a bit to this thread to explain the drawbacks to using the sedan arches :
    1: the tires will not be centred in the wheel well because of the narrowness of the sedan arches near the rear door
    2 :the OEM wagon beltline moulding can not be used .
    3 :the rocker cover ends up with a gap because it becomes a bit too long .
    I do not find anything that terrible about all of this . I hope to figure out a way to shorten the trailing arm to get the wheel centred sometime .The only way to repair the rear wheel arch rust is with new sheet metal welded in .Bondo or fibreglass fixes do not last long. I also bought a set of hatchback panels because they might be able to be adapted better than the sedan arches .But I have not played with them much .I just thought I would get them while they are still available .
  • Hey guys, I've read through this and various other threads and I can't find anyone who has tried to use HB replacement panels, only sedan. I'd like to avoid the drawbacks listed by wftb above, especially as I'd like to retain the stock beltline mouldings.

Has anyone tried to use HB panels instead of sedan ones?

EDIT: I can answer my own question. I found images of HB and sedan panels and realised that the HB panels don't have lines for the doors like sedan and shuttle panels do:
    6.png