My New 79'

Comments

• simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Oops, did it again. Found something cool JDM only Jeco dash clock!! Ahhh....
    Hasn't come in the mail yet but can't wait for it. Requires cutting a hole in the dash but
    F - it all in the name of rare goodness!

952.jpg

Here is how it will look mounted!

953.jpg
  • New wheels for the 79' 4X120 13" Enkeis!
    photo-35.jpg

Do you know what these Enkie's are called? My friend has the same ones on his Rex and has been looking around for a while with no luck.
    Doubtful they are the exact same ones. These are a 4x120 bolt pattern.
    Here is a link to the exact set I bought.
    http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114849#114849
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    Gorgeous car!! I am so jealous. One beautiful day i'll get a first gen Civic as well..
  • Doubtful they are the exact same ones. These are a 4x120 bolt pattern.
    Here is a link to the exact set I bought.
    http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114849#114849

They're the same ones just 4x100. Thanks for the link! Don't mean to thread jack. Have you mounted yours yet?
    387818_423050184427783_1856334458_n.jpg
  • I've got a '75 CVCC. Eventually I'm going to put the 600cc CBR-RR engine that is sitting next to it inside. Should be a fun little car.
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    Simply Amazing, simplyhonda.
    Thanks Chase!
    No, I haven't mounted them yet. I'm going to wait til' the car gets back from paint. Build has been going slower than
    ever anticipated. What started out as a simple drive as-is, low budget build has turned into an all out - blow out of a build.
    As I got in it I realized this was something really special, at least to me anyways. It's worth taking my time on and getting it right.
    The body is close to paint but the wallet isn't quite ready since I keep finding items to accessorize with. Need someone to smack my hand
    now & then. Luckily the wife & I are on a don't ask, don't tell basis when it comes to my car parts. Everything should be coming together
    soon. I would like to have it mostly done by April, 23 which is exactly one year from when I bought & drove it home. Consequently it will be
    the 34th birthday of myself & the car. Original build date on the car is 3/79' According to the owner's manual it was purchased new on
    April 30, 1979. So me & the car likely came home on the same day or damn close anyways.
    Nothing set in stone though. We'll just see what happens. Stay tuned... New parts arriving later this week :)
    997.jpgThank You Cecil Brooks & other owners for following directions & keeping this manual!
    Beauty in the making!
    35.jpg
  • Nice, how much wood have you had to remove to get there? Is it noticeable in your hands?
    No, you can't feel the difference. I just knocked off the old varnish & smoothed it over with some 320 grit.
    Here is where it stands now. Got it sanded down and repainted the metal.
    98.jpg
    99.jpg
    100.jpg
  • 1988rt1988rt Senior Wagonist
    man thats a sick car, I've been thinking of getting one
    Finished Wheel!
    144.jpg
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    A thing of beauty!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    A thing of beauty!

ive got to agree with you sir .... this is the first wood restore i can say i like ......
    great job SimplyHonda..!
    Got the wheel & Clock installed. Loving it!
    313.jpg
    314.jpg
    man I just seen two of these at the wrecking yard that were super clean, what a shame.
    If they had wood wheels or center dash gauges, you should have grabbed them!
    ok i gotta say this is gettin drool~able

keep up the good work SimplyHonda
    If they had wood wheels or center dash gauges, you should have grabbed them!

Ill check tomorrow
  • cvcccvcc Band Wagon
    Moving right along, man. Nice work.
  • This car looks great! Can't wait to see what else you do with it.
    Thanks guys! Got a few things in the works ;)
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Wheel restore is awesome! Ive got a wheel restore on my to do list as well. What was your method of stripping old varnish? Just sanding, or did you use some liquid paint/varnish remover first?
    Just plain old sanding & elbow grease. Chemical strippers can soak in sometimes and may effect final finish. I started with like 100 grit to knock off the old varnish then came back and smoothed it down with 320 careful not to remove too much material. Made it nice & smooth. Top coated with 5 costs of Minwax Spar Urathane. (Spray) No stain in between. The urathane gives it that nice amber color and does not crack with expansion & contractions due to tempature changes & moisture from your hands.
    Scored some sweet OEM floormats thanks to some luck on te fronts and some of you awesome Honda folks. Think it is hard getting good wagon mats? Try finding a set of these babies!
    252.jpg
    253.jpg
    254.jpg
  • PrennroPrennro Council Member
    Just plain old sanding & elbow grease. Chemical strippers can soak in sometimes and may effect final finish. I started with like 100 grit to knock off the old varnish then came back and smoothed it down with 320 careful not to remove too much material. Made it nice & smooth. Top coated with 5 costs of Minwax Spar Urathane. (Spray) No stain in between. The urathane gives it that nice amber color and does not crack with expansion & contractions due to tempature changes & moisture from your hands.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming. I plan on using one light coat of stain to match my rear floor and custom shift knob, then also plan on 3+ coats of spray Urethane.
    ok so nice find SimplyHonda them mats look like strong rubber ....

wonder how come they dont make mats like this anymore .... ???
    Yeah, they are really nice. I actually ended up with two sets of fronts. One was worn pretty bad though from the driver's heel. So they did wear out over time. Lucky to find some good ones though :) 268.jpg
  • can't wait to see how it looks after paint, nice work!