My New 79'

I went yesterday to look at a AWD wagon on I found on Craigslist. The wagon looked like crap. The old guy was really cool though. He had the 91' I went to look at and a cherry 85' RT too. We got to talking for a while. While talking with him I spotted an old civic sitting down in his field. I asked him about it and we went to look. What I found was a super solid 1979 civic 1200. It has zero rust, straight body panels, owners manual, and original key! I asked him if it ran, and he said it did last time he tried. After dropping a battery in and a little starter fluid - she fired right up without even smoking! I had to have it. I talked it out of him for a cool $900. I drove it 60 miles home with hardly any brakes, had to e-brake it most of the way but I made it home! Got to love Honda! The only other problem it has is a replacement fender and a little bent front end. He did this when pulling it with his motorhome and it fell off the tow bar. No biggie. Odometer reads 49,000 don't know if it has rolled over but considering it's condition, it's doubtful. I believe I got a pretty good deal. I guess this starts my summer project. Super stoked! Here are the pics!
819.jpg820.jpg
821.jpg
822.jpg
823.jpg
824.jpg
825.jpg
Got her washed up and in the garage today.
826.jpg

Comments

• DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    Lucky find... Good job... Can't wait to see what you do with it.
  • LayspeedLayspeed Wagonist
    Not bad for $900 but I thought you found a '79 wagon! Good luck with it and I found my first 1st gen in similar fashion. It was a '76 1200 with busted out windows for $250 but it also ran. You need to go over www.1stgencivic.com if you haven't already. I'm over there as well.
  • Jimmy427Jimmy427 Band Wagon
    i had one of those it was suposed to be my first car but dad sold it before i drove it nice little car though.
  • 666DAN666DAN Wagonist
    Nice find!
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    fucking legit. i am not jealous sir.
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    Nice find!! gonna stay stock or ??
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    Going to stay stock for now. May do an engine swap in the future. We'll just see where it goes.
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    Soo sick! Great find mang!! 8)
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    Going to stay stock for now. May do an engine swap in the future. We'll just see where it goes.
    Stock is ok... I just got my B16-turbo swap fired up :) in my '79 wagon
    She is starting out nicely. I started by painting the wheels of course. I think they came out pretty sharp. I went with a stainless steel color instead of a straight silver.
    358.jpg
    Then I gutted the interior. I got it all cleaned up, installed new carpet, made rubber floor mats, fixed everything that was broken (plastic panels, rear view mirror, etc...) It is minty fresh now! All I have left is to get the driver's seat patched. That will come in time.
    359.jpg
    I am currently working on the front end body damage and cleaning the engine bay.
    I started polishing the Valve Cover yesterday, didn't get far, but I think the polished cover will look sweet when finished.
    360.jpg
  • GR33KGR33K Wagonist
    Looking great! Nice to see this landed in good hands. Keep the updates coming!
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    ...made rubber floor mats...
    Did you cut down a set to fit or what? Nice resto!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    :lol:
    watch out these nuts on here will be after that steering wheel for there newer cars ..... :mrgreen:

GREAT find ... was hoping it was a wagon from our earlier text/pm's but this thing looks nice ...
  • cvcccvcc Band Wagon
    3rd4ce wrote:
    :lol:
    watch out these nuts on here will be after that steering wheel for there newer cars .....

They won't want that steering wheel. Those wheels are huge, man. I took mine out and put in a 13" Grant GT wooden wheel. Much more leg room now.

Congrats, OP. I have a '79 as well, but mine is a CVCC. Good luck and hopefully you don't swap.
  • I have whats left of my 79 1200. my neighbors hackberry tree fell on it during the tornados last year. my search for a donor shell has been fruitless. if ya need any parts, holler. its half good, half crushed...
    ...made rubber floor mats...
    Did you cut down a set to fit or what? Nice resto!
    I used rubber floor runner from Home Depot. It is like $2.35 a foot. just cut it to shape using the homemade carpet floor mats that came with the car. Turned out great and look almost like OEM minus the Honda logo!
    I abandoned the fully polished valve cover & did this instead. Keep in mind, Paint is still wet, and bare aluminum still gets another polish. Also going to do a custom center piece for the oil cap. But Here is what I got so far514.jpg
  • TerminusVoxTerminusVox Senior Wagonist
    I like that!
    New wheels for the 79' 4X120 13" Enkeis!

309.jpg
  • BillBoardBillBoard council member
    This thread is spectacular already!!!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    im liking the polish & painted valve cover ...
    rims look nice also...

is there anything i should keep an eye out for @ my local junk yards for you..?
  • ChaifeChaife Instagram grand master
    I saw this car in person today, it has come a very long way. and the work you have done really shows.
    I could look at this car all day.
  • tizontizon Band Wagon
    NICE!!!
    I cant wait to see those on the 79'!!!
  • keep it up i'm loving this!
  • Super jelly!
  • I love the robo body styling of the 70s Hondas. Something so futuristic about it.
  • Turning out super nice! The interior looks new, can't wait to see more of this. And that is the second set of those Enkies I've ever seen. My buddy has the same set on his Rex. They look very appropriate for the 79!
    Well, taking my time on this build. Been getting the body right slowly. Almost ready for paint. Also been acquiring goodies when I can. These came today! Deluxe gauges in super fantastic condition and NOS Honda trunk badge!!!

159.jpg

Still looking for some of the illusive parts! Whose got my Wood Wheel??
    Got some more goodies for the build. A front bumper overrider, NOS..ish wood shift knob, Center shift console.
    I made a new leather boot for and repainted it to look new. Also installed my gauges and got some chrome rings for them.
    Coming along!

636.jpg
    637.jpg
    638.jpg
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    wow, this car is fantastic. glad to see you're doing it some justice on the parts too!