[EE/EY/EF] Installation of OEM Rear Optional Speaker Pods

2»

Comments

• cstanya88cstanya88 New Wagonist
    I just picked up some clean speaker pods... Thanks for the write up...
  • Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    Excellent write up, but the metal bracket actually goes behind the oe sheet metal and is held in place with the oe plastic screw inserts :)
  • Real helpful info. Came out real clean. Thanks again
  • AbideAbide Council Member
    Any clue how big that spacer is in the middle? im missing mine and the center bolt
    Abide wrote:
    Any clue how big that spacer is in the middle? im missing mine and the center bolt
    It never came with the center bolts on yours, In my car they were never installed and mine came from the factory like that :)
    think she'll hold ok with just the two? i might wanna smuggle a bunch of plutonium in there one day :D
    Abide wrote:
    think she'll hold ok with just the two? i might wanna smuggle a bunch of plutonium in there one day :D

worked fine in mine :) the funny thing, the dealer didn't even put the 4 screw into the pods (one that sits above the shock tower, they used 3m goop to keep it from rattling :lol: lazy sob's
    Well the wont be rattling now for sure. not even any plastic on plastic contact anymore. You should check my thread. I'm gonna try to get em mounted tonight.
    WTF man how do you get that last screw in there? oh well

335.jpg
    Lookin good :)
    Skew-driver is what I used (90 degree angle driver)
    ha! i bet they didnt even have something like that in the late 80s! ok maybe not. i could get an extension up in the right side after shoving the screw then bit and socket first. still barely fit and didnt want to come out. i didnt bother on the second one. ill go through some friends toolboxes later.

the brackets do definitely go behind the panel though. and just get held in with the screw clips

339.jpg

340.jpg
  • jasnalljasnall Wagonist
    It seems as though there may be two different chassis configurations, maybe the RT and fwd models are different.
    The drivers side installed fine by putting the bracket behind the sheet metal like the other pictures show. The passenger side is where it gets different, there is a beam that runs behind the sheet metal where the bracket would go. It looks like 4wd-twincam had the same issue. It looks like Abide had no problem installing his on the passenger side behind the sheet metal.
    The bracket for the right side also has the little bend in it towards the rear the makes it jut out a bit when installed in front of the sheet metal. Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.
    I guess I just have to drill a hole and install it in front.
    72.jpg
    73.jpg

*EDIT*
    Well however it's supposed to go I got it all mounted and installed only to find the speaker wire has no signal...I know the speaker works so I guess I'm going to have to tear it all apart and figure out whats wrong. The three other speakers in the car work fine.
  • t.kt.k New Wagonist
    used this guide to install my speaker pods this weekend. I put my brackets in front of the sheet metal but i'm wondering if i should reinstall them behind it. Rear speakers aren't work either so I have to double check all the wiring soon :(
    I do remember the right side taking some serious fanagleing (techinical term for wiggling and swearing) to get it over some little brace in there. I used my phone camera and took pics to see what the heck was on the other side and just barely got it in there. Mine is an 88 and a RT if it makes any difference