Wagon RT4WD Axles

Comments

• well i ended up ordering the RT axles from carquest but yeah i dunno what would cause the difference other than I just installed a JDM D16A engine and the original tranny.
  • jt223539jt223539 New Wagonist
    well i ended up ordering the RT axles from carquest but yeah i dunno what would cause the difference other than I just installed a JDM D16A engine and the original tranny.

Don't think the engine would matter, since I have a DOHC ZC engine in my car. But who knows. You are just lucky enough to have even been able to get wagon axles. Every place around me had to special order them from the manufacturer, and couldn't guarantee that they could get them, or a time line.
  • what about an 88? should i get 88 integra axels? my front right just started clacking
  • I wonder if you have them all compressed when you are comparing the axles.
    If not, that's a good starting point.
  • ChinojdmChinojdm Band Wagon
    what if i have a 91 rt4wd but its not a zc swap it original d16a which axles will i need, yea isound like a newb but i deff needd this asap!
  • 3rd4ce3rd4ce Council Member
    Chinojdm wrote:
    what if i have a 91 rt4wd but its not a zc swap it original d16a which axles will i need, yea isound like a newb but i deff needd this asap!
    :arrow:
    jt223539 wrote:
    I can 100% back this mans statement. Literally just did this about an hour ago.

Any 90-93 B-series Integra Axles will work as a replacement for the front on a RT4wd. Went from being 80 for one axle which had to be specially ordered, to 100 for both axles which they had in stock. I will pay the extra 20 for another axle, and the convenience.

Thank you for making this thread, would have been lost without it.

Oh and I now have another question, What are the options for the Rear?
  • So nothing for the rears?
  • ChinojdmChinojdm Band Wagon
    3rd4ce wrote:
    Chinojdm wrote:
    :arrow:
    jt223539 wrote:
    I can 100% back this mans statement. Literally just did this about an hour ago.

Any 90-93 B-series Integra Axles will work as a replacement for the front on a RT4wd. Went from being 80 for one axle which had to be specially ordered, to 100 for both axles which they had in stock. I will pay the extra 20 for another axle, and the convenience.

Thank you for making this thread, would have been lost without it.

Oh and I now have another question, What are the options for the Rear?

call me a super noob but im still not sure, like i said my wagon is rt4wd automatic and its a single cam, so i can jus go to autozone and pick up sum dohc b series axles and they wont fit with no prob cuz i sure wouldnt wanna go over there and then have a problem with them
  • Rex LTRex LT Band Wagon
    JackV wrote:
    i tried this and the teggy axle wouldn't go into the intermediate shaft.

wtf?

i can confirm this.
    Just wasted over $150 dollars for labor. Used 91 integra ls axles.
  • My RT is a manual.
    The axles I installed were from a 1990-1993 manual ls (Integra or Teggy).
    The whole idea to do this came from examining the axles on my b16a/y1 swapped Si, which is running a 1990-1993 manual integra intermediate shaft.

You may run into an issue using automatic parts on manual cars, or vise versa.
    The Intermediate shaft on an automatic Integra LS is different. Here's why:

If you should find an Intermediate shaft that you buy on EBAY, where they say "needed for b16 swap" blah blah blah.... You never know if they're giving you one from an auto or manual car.
    I've done this once before and it didn't bolt up to the back of my engine block.

Not even close. But upon further investigation, I realized my stupid ass got an automatic intermediate shaft. I still have it, and I want to burry it in the back yard thinking about it. :oops:
    Then a friend of mine gave me one that he was running on a stock manual LS.

I really REALLY hope this helps you, because I was so EFFing mad, so I know your pain. But I'm sorry you have to lose out on labor. Thats why I do it myself, otherwise I'd be a broke bastard.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    JDM RTi fronts are the same as EF9 and DA6 for what it's worth.
  • jt223539jt223539 New Wagonist
    Rex LT wrote:
    JackV wrote:
    i tried this and the teggy axle wouldn't go into the intermediate shaft.

wtf?

i can confirm this.
    Just wasted over $150 dollars for labor. Used 91 integra ls axles.

I have no idea why you guys are having problems, UNLESS you are trying to install the parts onto automatic cars.

I have been running these axles for over 5-6 months now with NO problems at all.
  • JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    Where the intermediate half shaft bolts into the block is different from the autos to the manuals. I found this out when I bought my motor. It was out of an automatic and when I tried to bolt it to the manual tranny it wouldn't line up with the half shaft. The Part the bolts to the block is curved on the auto half shaft and rounded off a little on the manual. $5 later from a junkyard I had the right half shaft. Also, from what I understand, the auto axles themselves are shorter that the manual.(Not 100% sure on that though) Hope this little bit of info helps in some way, shape or form.
  • the manual half shaft is splined the same as a b-series. (same half shaft thats used in the jdm DOHC zc trans) i also believe its the same half shaft thats in the 86-87 d16a1 integras. (about 98.3% positive lol) a quick double check would be to check the part numbers of the DIFF bearings between an Auto RT and Manual RT, and cross reference those to the Integra. that right there should explain errrrrrrrything.
  • exactly why they ask you if you have an auto or manual car at the parts store...because it absolutely matters.
  • 503Wagon503Wagon moderator
    nobody has answered the rear axel question? what works...what doesnt...any info??
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    Ive tried CRV axles and they will definatly NOT work. We are stuck with RT rears unless someone comapres some of the other rear axles from Hondas.

Ive also used 94+ integra axles on the passenger side of my b-swapped RT as well (was using 90-93 prior). So another option if anyone was in a pinch.

Id be curious to see if the 94+ "outty" shaft bolts in place of the D-series "inny" int shafts on the rt's as well. I have heard of others doing that swap on their 90-93 integras and running 94+ integra axles. No idea why they did this. I just assumed it was easier for them to get newer axles.

Also, and I cant remember which one it is, but one of the 90-93 axles will work on both sides of the car. I think its the passenger one, the one with full length splines, but again Im not sure. its been to long. Same scenario. Was at a race and had an axle issue. only had the one side and tried it on the other side and it worked. Used to know, but havent really had axle issues on the regular since I sold the DB1.
  • joshyjoshy Band Wagon
    good info; I am replacing mine tomorrow!
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    503Wagon wrote:
    nobody has answered the rear axel question? what works...what doesnt...any info??

Might be able to use civic 4 speed/crx HF outers and inners to rebuild your rear RT axles?only reason I think this MIGHT work is the rear outers have the same smaller splines like the Hf/4 speed civics...... I kinda did something like this when i rebuilt the CRV axles in my (shays old wagon) GSR/crv wagon since the rear were custom length i knew nothing off the shelf would work so i bought a CRV axle and swapped the inners and outers around..... messy but its was what i had to do.
    Well shit. Looks like I'll be calling driveshaft shop and talking with them....SOB
  • turbo_tegturbo_teg Council Member
    jaker had custome ones made he might be able to chime in and let us know a lil of what he did.
  • joshyjoshy Band Wagon
    I just did both my axles; I used 90 Integra LS, worked great!
    turbo_teg wrote:
    jaker had custome ones made he might be able to chime in and let us know a lil of what he did.

he had his made by driveshaft shop i believe. or maybe that was just his driveshaft. they do pretty much any of that stuff and are the best priced/best round.
  • This thread is freakin awesome. Totally useful.
  • str8shooterstr8shooter Band Wagon
    I've had a 1990 Integra axle in my wagon for about 2000 miles now and it's doing wonderfully! It didn't go in all the way(maybe 1/4 inch to go) but I believe it is because my differential may be damaged due to the 2WD that the previous owned attempted to use. :/
  • Thank you for this info, My axels are looking old and I think the driver side one is bent.
    Great info!!!
  • I know this post is kinda old, but it's a darn good one. My axles are poping and it's good to know that I can get some integra ones. Nice. I love this forum.
  • beastmodebeastmode Senior Wagonist
    1989-1991 Honda Civic Wagon RT4wd replacement axles

Brand: A-1 CARDONE
    Part #: 60-4074
    4wd or fwd: 4wd
    Front or Rear: Front
    Left or Right: Right

4wd or Fwd: 4wd
    Part #: 60-4067
    Left or Right: Left

Part #: 60-4134
    Front or Rear: Rear

Part #: 60-4131
  • beastmode wrote:
    1989-1991 Honda Civic Wagon RT4wd replacement axles

So these will not work for an 88?
  • beastmodebeastmode Senior Wagonist
    1988 Honda Civic Wagon RT4wd replacement axles

POWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!...........................