USA 88-91 Civc Wagon population numbers (July 2010)

At work, I occasionally do some statistical analysis of US vehicle population (read: the number of cars that are registered and legally driving around).

Give me a couple days and I'll try to gather info for the older wagons, but here are 88-91 Civic wagon numbers as of July 2010. Just thought some of you would find it interesting how few wagons there are. Also, here is a post on ef-honda (link) that covers all 88-91 Civic/CRX.

1988__WAGOVAN____STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_WAGOVAN____FWD_____929
1988__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_DX___________FWD____1703
1988__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_4X4__________4X4______984
1989__WAGOVAN____STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_WAGOVAN____FWD____1358
1989__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_DX___________FWD____2980
1989__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_4X4__________4X4______749
1990__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC______________FWD____5901
1990__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_4X4__________4X4_____1097
1991__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC______________FWD____4209
1991__CIVIC________STATION_WAGON__________CIVIC_4X4__________4X4_____1952

Comments

• JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    Interesting info. Add 1 to the 1989 dx model for mine. It's not currently registered.
  • im 1 of the 89 wagovan's, not many real wagovans left.
  • MrM3MrM3 Council Member
    Interesting info. Thanks for posting.
  • It would be really interesting to track this information as a trend over the last decade, or for the next couple of years to see at what speed they are disappearing from the roads. Very cool info, thanks!

Edit:

4782 AWD wagons still registered in the US.

21,862 wagons total still on the road today!
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Notice how the DX dropped after 89?

That's interesting. I want to know more.
  • oh, that's my fault for not typing the letters "DX"...

In the US, two models were offered in 90-91 - the RT4WD, and the DX (marked simply "CIVIC" in the data I posted. In other words, the 90-91 FWD models are DX.)

Sorry for the confusion.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Good info man. Thanks for sharing.
  • unlimited02unlimited02 Senior Wagonist
    very interesting... too bad no one is welling to make aftermarket body parts for us...
  • Rex LTRex LT Band Wagon
    Thanks for the numbers. Im surprised that there are so few RT wagons out there.
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    That's neat info! Thanks!
  • tabmowtabmow Band Wagon
    this is depressing. im gonna be searching for a long time to find a reasonably clean rtawd.
  • Whoa, that's crazy. I never knew my '88 Wago was as rare as it is. Gotta chalk it up to cash 4 Clunkers on this one I suppose, those bastards crushed everything from gas sippers and two year old newbies to luxury cars and rare collector's pieces that should NOT have made the cut with reckless abandon.
  • goosejaygoosejay Band Wagon
    89 4wd owner. that explains why people have been trying to snag this thing off me =]
  • JesseCRXJesseCRX Council Member
    I has a pokeyman wagon! 89 4WD is the rare! :lol:
  • simplyhondasimplyhonda Council Member
    89' 4WD love!! I'm right there with you. There's only 747 more of you out there - who are you?
  • 89' 4WD love!! I'm right there with you. There's only 747 more of you out there - who are you?
    i'm another one here.

but this is defiantly an interesting thread
  • FejFej Wagonist
    89' 4WD love!! I'm right there with you. There's only 747 more of you out there - who are you?

I've got two! Just bought the second one yesterday morning :D
  • 1800sss1800sss Band Wagon
    Cool data. I was wondering if you (jpciii) could slice the data by geographic region in the USA. Maybe by state or divide the country into quarters? That would be neat to see where most wagons are congregated.
  • goosejaygoosejay Band Wagon
    I kinda stumbled into mine, Ive always had ED hatches and sedans....couple Ej's. I own a self owned shop here and some dude i know told me he wanted his hatch painted and swapped and offered it to me, I took it with no motor beat to hell interior. Reupholstered it and what not painted they bay primed it. There were NO badges on it, and one day i looked at the trans and it looked different, he said it was FWD. It was a RT4wd trans, so i ran the vin and it came back as an 89RT4wd. Ever since ive found that out people have been trying to get this thing off me everyday.
  • FejFej Wagonist
    Holy Crap! Just checked out the VIN numbers on my wagons. Both are '89s from the Suzuka factory. The gold one ("new") is 001940 and the red one is 001944! 4 cars apart! :shock:

Honda vin decoder link for those who are interested http://members.multimania.nl/hendrik/honda/vin.htm
  • JDMWago666JDMWago666 Senior Wagonist
    Now I'm not so confused. My car is a 90, finally got it figured out. Thanks Fej, for the link, very helpful. Still strange how my last three digits are 666 LOL but seriously it is.
  • 1800sss wrote:
    Cool data. I was wondering if you (jpciii) could slice the data by geographic region in the USA. Maybe by state or divide the country into quarters? That would be neat to see where most wagons are congregated.

Great idea. Unfortunately, I only have access to nationwide numbers. Each state reports individually, but all that data is compiled together before the company I work for gets to see it.
  • canasiancanasian Band Wagon
    i got 2 but ones just a parts car cuzz its rusted to shit and ones my clean non rusted dalie driver, put one for 91 and 90 non 4x4
  • dgatchcdgatchc Band Wagon
    89 rt 4wd here!
  • Sorry for bringing back a dead post, but anyone have access to more updated numbers on this?
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    I would PM the original poster and see if he still has access to these numbers... he's around sometimes, but not much. PM him so he sees it next time he logs on.
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    just figure that every year theres like 5% less with a +/- of about 5% error, and boom you have your estimate ! haha
  • PopPopsGaragePopPopsGarage Council Member
    Ive been waiting for this forever!
  • Very cool post....I had been wondering about this for a long time....That explains why it took so long for me to find a real good 89 RT. Just wish it was manual....
  • Hi guys. I received IdahoHonda91's PM about this thread...

I no longer work for the company that purchased the vehicle registration data back in 2011. A year or so ago, out of curiosity, I emailed my friend at that job to see if they bought new data... they hadn't. It was expensive. I'll email him again. I doubt I'll be able to get new numbers, but if I do, I'll be sure to post them. I'm just as curious as everyone else about what the wagon population numbers look like today.