First swap

Comments

• thanks! gonna pull down the tranny tom, gonna try to make it run tom :x

so that means i also need to remove the flywheel?

could u also show me a pix of a cvr? i really have no idea where it is sorry :cry:
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    It's EASY.It's where they all are.Follow the oil pan back to where it attaches to the tranny.The cvr attaches to the engine & tranny.You had to remove it when you seperate the eng/tranny.Once removed you should see the back of the flywhl.
  • ok thanks! will do this tom, need to go to work now! :D
    It's a sheet metal cover.2 bolts to the engine & 2-3 bolts to the tranny.
  • oh ic will do this tom hopefully i could finish it though
    What I did was to put the wgn on jack stands.Start it.Then run the engine though the gears b4 I ran it on the road.
    G :wink: :wink: D LUCK :!:
  • i got excited thats why :lol: coz that was my first swap :)

btw i pulled the tranny down and checked everything (but didnt remove the pres plate, clutch and flywheel) everything looks fine maybe i only need to adjust the cable :x

but why is it that eventhough i dont step on the clutch pedal it still goes in gears? and the grinding sound plus the car won't move
    So whats's the deal with the Pilot bearing :?:
    Why the different part# :?: Stop by the parts store & ask to see the 2 pilot bearings to see the difference if any :!:
    Did you mod the CRX tranny when you had it out :?:
    If the trannies still out grab the output shaft(where the clutch,etc. slides on.) & in neutral see if u can turn it by hand.The shaft shouldn't have wabble in it.
  • nope didn't mod the tranny at all

yup i turned the shaft by hand and the differential also turns so that means it is still good

you know what i remember now that i forgot to put gear oil in it!!!!! :x
    could i have damaged anything in it? but the differential still turns when i turn the shaft
    :? :? This is the part I hate.You have reach a fork in the road.Go left :?: Go right :?:

:arrow: Becuase of all the work in putting the tranny in & out.I'd say open the tranny up to see If any thing is broken. Get a Honda SHOP Manual & go slow.It's like a chinese puzzle box except w/o Lara Croth to help.
    :arrow: OR put tranny in...fill oil...& hope Buddha rides with you :?:
    :arrow: :? I'd go with the 1st choice & then if it's bad ....buy NJ's tranny.
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    it isn't that difficult to separate the trans housing and inspect the internals, make sure you take your time and if necessary find someone local who knows what they're doin take a look at it
    Akiraboy you're right.There's NO "easy button" here.That 1 mistake left him no easy choice.The guy I bought my trans from said '"It had been rebuilt".Externally How do you tell if it's OK or NOT?Lucky I took it apart.It was rebuilt,but 1/2 ASS :arrow: Reverse gear was in backwards :arrow: 5th gear fork was chipped :arrow: some 3rd prob I can't remember :!:
  • hehehe to late guys i got lazy taking the tranny apart i just installed it back in and bought a new pass axle coz the old axle's end groove was worn out coz i didnt put it in all the way, hopefully by tom i would try to drive it around

BTW i already opened a tranny before but that was on my GSR hydro, i changed the casing coz i broke it due to major wheel hop :twisted:
  • car is working right now and is drivable!

only problem now is the speed sensor im not sure if i broke it or not?
    coz when i pull the tranny down i just pulled the cable and it came out easily, did i messed it up? after i take off the retaining clip but when i put it back kinda lost the clip, do you really need that for the speedo to work?
    I should know from pulling it out so many times.Are you talking about the hold-down or a clip(e.g. E-clip)?
  • the clip one like when you remove the rubber cover and theres a clip there, do you need that back for the speedometer to work or i just busted that one?
    :? Sorry rough day @ work.I'll have to get a rubber cvr.Mines doesn't have 1.Hopefully we're talkin about the same part.that clip holds the cable in.You can probably drive around without it.@ 1 point your speedo may stop working which means it came out.Get another clip from the wrecking yard. :? I'm going back to sleep.ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    i hope you had a good nights sleep :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • SWAP IS FINISHED!!!!! I hope everything would work now! :lol:

i don't wanna drive it around now more coz yesterday i drove it like 10 meters away from my house and there was a cop! i almost got a ticket driving a car without a registration and insurance :x

here's my CRAMMER now!

www.civicwagon.com
    www.civicwagon.com
    www.civicwagon.com
    :D Congrates.Got your 2 litres of tranny oil in?Make sure you use Honda's MTL.They formulate it to shift smoother.Love your frt lip. 8)Nice touch blacking out the "H". 8)
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    good job on the swap, good to see it done.
    Let us know how it feels
  • yes i am curious what is that front lip from ????
    :wink: 2OOO Civic Coupe. :shock:
    Ready for brake ducts.
  • thanks!

as for the oil i used a 10w-30 engine oil :lol: coz that is what i always use on my GSR tranny
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    OUCH!

Engine oil and gearbox oil are two rather different things..
  • Pacifier wrote:
    OUCH!

Engine oil and gearbox oil are two rather different things..

coz it says on my helms manual (integra GSR) to use a 10w30 or 10w40 oil in it
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    right, they may be the same grade but they aren't the same oil... :S

I'm not 100% sure on this topic but i'm pretty sure they are in two different bottles for a reason.... ;)
  • i searched for this one too on H-T and a lot of people also uses motor oil on their trannies
    It shifts SMOOTHER :D :D You guys can use those oils.It even states that weight oil in the 1989 Honda Shop Manual.I had originally used 10w30 oil.

Then I borrowed a friends EF. It shifted SOOoooo Smoooothly. He used the Honda MTL.It was formulated for SMOOOooother shifting.So I now only use Honda's(Not trying to plug them) MTL only.A lot of guys also recommend GM's MTL for the same reason. 8) It's for the SMOOTHER Shifting. :shock:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    OK i looked into it, the grades may equal out the same but that doesn't make it the same type of oil... As SiWagon said, for best shifting use the Honda MTF - thats what i use and it has made shifting alot easier compared to some cheap oil the last owner used..