How do you fix the seat tear?

my drivers seat has a tear in the bolster the usuall. ive seen on a couple different cars on here people some how get a piece of material behing the original seat material. so it covers the foam stuff but theres still the hole in the seat material. anyone know how to do this?

Comments

• Find a good passenger seat and swap the material over. There's info in the quick links at the top of the page.
  • 91_wago91_wago Wagonist
    ya thats harder then it sounds. i just need a fix until i can find one. the foam stuff keeps coming out.
  • I just did it and it's not that bad. Check out my post in Members Ride (Catsup) on the last page I think. I documented it a bit and left a link for a how to.

Or just slap some duct tape on it in the meantime. It will hold fine, and won't look any worse than a tear with foam bulging out. That's what I did until I could get time to swap the material over.

Or maybe you could try and find an iron on patch at a fabric store and just iron it on there for now.
  • 91_wago91_wago Wagonist
    good idea on the patch.
  • ppruepprue Wagonist
    I refilled the gaps in my seat bolster with foam, duct taped the seat back in to shape and covered my seats with covers from precision fit. I didn't like the head rest covers all that much but the seats look and feel awesome.
  • Mandalore88Mandalore88 Senior Wagonist
    wow those seat covers look decent. how does the back look?
  • ppruepprue Wagonist
    wow those seat covers look decent. how does the back look?

The fronts have a little baggyness on the back but I think I can take them in a little and correct it. The back seat covers fits like a glove from any angle.
  • i just took where my bolsters were ripped on my CRX and ripped em open a little more, stuck some pieces of foam i cut so size in the spots where the ripped foam had worn, used some gaffers tape to reinforce the area and then stitched the hole shut. then i put a patch over it and stitched the patch on. simple fix and looks sort of cool, depending on how "hood" you're comfortable with your car looking ;)

19340_775510473754_12309859_44102788_491882_n.jpg
  • doitdubdoitdub familEE
    simple fix and looks sort of cool, depending on how "hood" you're comfortable with your car looking ;)
    Your car's not hood...you poser.

:wink:
  • which one? haha the new one definitely isn't. i guess i'm just using the words "hood" and "ghetto" interchangeably
  • doitdubdoitdub familEE
    haha...I was referring to your now totaled CRX. And was being sarcastic, as it was hoodtastically awesome.
  • unlimited02unlimited02 Senior Wagonist
    those covers are great looking
  • loneeagleloneeagle Band Wagon
    i know this thread is dead but i thought id suggest something i did, if you cut a patch for your tear from some soft fabric you can set it over the whole holding it centered with your finger and push/tuck the patch under the fabric of the actual seat, it looks pretty clean because its as minimal patch fabric showing as you can get without pulling the fabric tight/stressed and sewing it shut
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/courtneystover/7797092334/in/photostream/