Chris's b20 crx. Its alive!

I picked up a ef7 today

It was some ones weekend/track hack so its all stripped out etc.

There is no heater and the radiator fan runs all the time.

Plans are. make up switch board to sit where a/c was with rad fan override, demister, horn

Enough talking for now. Here are the pics

Before.
655.jpg]
Off with the stickers. looks better already
656.jpg

Comments

• NZ-DB8RNZ-DB8R Moderator
    Can you see if they have "dented" the chassis for the alternator?
  • rti intracrti intrac Senior Wagonist
    Ill have a look tomorrow when its light again light again lol
    Yes the body is dented by the alt pulley, It looks like someone went apeshit with a hammer.

I'd like to see the chassis in a EF9/8 to see what they did in the factory
    Thats what I had to do as well, though I tried to make it as tidy as possible, also painted it afterwards
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2584/421 ... 5c0f_b.jpg

EF8/9 are a very different beast from the firewall forwards, like essentially nothing is the same
    Had a productive morning today. Fixed the horn and left front indicator.
    I also put my koni shocks and Neuspeed springs in.
    I took it for a test drive and wow what a difference. They are alot stiffer than the old king springs. I no longer bottom out in the front when cornering hard. The only thing that scrapes is the stupid can muffler on the back, I hope it gets ripped off lol

881.jpg
    882.jpg
    The spring perches can fit on the shocks 2 ways. I was wondering why the spring would sit nicely in one shock/tophat and not the other

883.jpg
    Front in

884.jpg
    All done, I think the rear is a little lower which is what I was hoping for
  • 89ac_EE289ac_EE2 Wagonist
    change the wheels and go lower......and what kind of paint scheme you got going?
    If I went any lower I wouldnt be able to get out of my driveway lol
    Paint wise the previous owner has painted the roof and what you can see of the boot black.
    This is my weekend/track car so I don't really care how it looks. As long as it performs ill be happy.

Here Is a side on of the crx, I thougth I had posted it up already
    635.jpg

Pic of the stupid can
    890.jpg
    Those are Buddyclub wheels arnt they?

They look a lot like the P1 Racing II Plus
    yes they are buddyclub p1 racing wheels
  • Looks good, I like it. Need to pick me up a ZC hood...
    Fixed the fan today. The relay was stuffed so I replaced it and it still wouldn't go. Traced the wire back to the computer and tested it. fan went. But the OBD0 B16a computer doesn't switch the fan relay. Did some more research and found the B16a fan switch is on the back of the block above the oil filter. That was not plugged in. Found the wires and connected it and it went. yay.

I made up a panel up to fit where the air con controls were to house the water temp guage, cigarette lighter fan overide switch and windscreen defogger switch
    Fixed the fan today. The relay was stuffed so I replaced it and it still wouldn't go. Traced the wire back to the computer and tested it. fan went. But the OBD0 B16a computer doesn't switch the fan relay. Did some more research and found the B16a fan switch is on the back of the block above the oil filter. That was not plugged in. Found the wires and connected it and it went. yay.

I made up a panel up to fit where the air con controls were to house the water temp guage, cigarette lighter fan overide switch and windscreen defogger switch

• oh no no no...

i'm reading...
    Haha is that a good or bad thing :P

Here is a picture of what I got tonight to make a break from reading
    1075.jpg
    seat went in smooth as.
    Got home last night and the thing died on me. I have spark but no injection pulse. Il test the pickups in the dizzy and the wiring to the ecu
    Spent a few hours last night checking all the wires to ecu from the injectors. all ok. Checked for pulse at the computer. had a pulse. Put some petrol in it and bled the fuel line. It went but was missing something terrible.
    Only thing left to check was the rotor. took that out and it had a crack running along it. Hmm how can I fix that I think... There was a lighter on the floor so i melted the rotor where the crack was. Refitted it and it runs mint!
    I'll get a brand new rotor at work tomorrow and fit that.

I have a autocross on the 23rd which i'm looking forward to
    none of the suppliers had the rotor. spent ages on the phone and in the store.
    Got a genuine honda rotor. was $23 couriered to the door so its not too bad.
    NO MORE MISSIFRE!! yay
    well since the crx has a cert(safety inspection) for a 2 litre engine I'm seriously thinking about putting a B20 vtec in it. the b16 is tired anyway. the head gasket is leaking oil so I'm going to have to change that anyway so its not much more work to swap blocks lol
    Took the crx for a drive last night. got home and parked it in the garage.
    Went down this morning and was slightly disappointed...
    720.jpg

On a related note. What is the best way to remove oil stanes from concrete?
    Ive just used dishwashing liquid in the past, but thats before its had time to soak.

Wheres it leaking from?
    The sump lol. there is a dent which has split at the edge.

I have washing powder on it at the moment soaking up whats left. ill get some hot water and dishwashing liquid. if not there is some concrete cleaner i found in the shed. IF that doenst work I can get some acid from work and give that a go lol
    I picked up a b20 block today. will get pics when its not dark or cold. I ahve to clean up the garadge. its a mess atm
    Spent a few hours cleaning up the oil mess on the garage floor. 90%percent of it is gone. Ill wait for it to dry attacking ti again.
    I'm still waiting on the sump to be welded up so its still not runnning.
    321.jpg
    322.jpg
    323.jpg
    Score! golden eagle block guard fitted too! the block was cheaper than a blockguard new. let alone the price to get it shipped down here.
    I will hopefully be picking up some pistons tomorrow. My oil feed kit & dowels should be arriving next week sometime
    Picked up my pistons today. Just waiting on the oil kit and sump. Every time a courier comes into work I get excited Because I think its my parts lol
    oil kit arrived ages ago lol. been on holiday and moved so have been busy the last few weeks. The b16 head is all ready to be put on the block. Oil lines have been sorted. Will be getting bearings, timing belt and head gasket tomorrow. Thats the mechanical sorted. Will wire up vafc if I have time this weekend. Sorted a good condition gearbox too so ill pick that up also
    Had a very productive weekend. Got the b20 all built. I ran out of time to get it all back together, but IT RUNS!!!!
    Had a very productive weekend. Got the b20 all built. I ran out of time to get it all back together, but IT RUNS!!!! The oil light goes out as soon as the engine fires. Not bad considering its the first engine i've built.

Block all assembled
    493.jpg
    Head on.
    494.jpg
    Going in
    495.jpg
    In the hole
    496.jpg
    The B20 block does not have a hole tapped for the Obd0 radiator fan switch. THe b16 also had a oil cooler/heat exchanger So I had a extra pipe fitting I had to figure out how to block off.
    497.jpg
    You can see the nipple on the left there.

My solution
    498.jpg
    Its a little rangi and I'm wondering if the switch wil actually work correctly. I think it will once I get it all filled with water and bled properly
  • kyle h.kyle h. Wagonist
    It's been fun ready about your project so far. I like the use of rangi above :)