Hey, should I keep my 1986 Wagovan?

I love my little 1986 light metallic blue Honda Wagovan, bought it 1 year ago for $800, put at least $1000 into it, but now needs new engine or engine work.

Also the speedometer cable just broke, clutch seems to be slipping, carburetor stalls occasionally. I just love this car, but wondering how much $$$ I could put into it to make it really worthwhile.

Seems like oil is leaking into the pistons (smoke coming out tailpipe), and it constantly gets pretty hot (and this is with a new radiator, thermostat and water pump). I am not a mechanic, but everyone tells me its easier to get a new engine rather than have someone seal up my pistons. It does have 155K on the current engine.

So, with my carburetor problems (my mechanic says they dont make new ones anymore, so I would have to get one from a junkyard), speedometer cable broken (also not made anymore), and possible clutch work in the future, I just don't know if its worth it.

If anyone in California wants a nice wagovan for parts, let me know. I will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks for listening!

-Dan in Grass Valley, CA (currently in San Diego for the next month though).

Comments

• The guys here have consistently said that it's pretty easy to get a new engine in their Wagons for cheap. If your computer can handle fuel injection, you may have another option. I'll let somebody who actually knows something about it tell you what you're looking at, though.