Truant finds a home

... and maybe a car.

I'm living In Salt Lake City, Utah and considering buying a Civic Wagon. I had an 88 that I bought in 1992 with 106,000 miles on it. I sold it in 2002 with 280,000 on the OD.

My dad was always a Chrysler guy, and still is. After a nightmare 85 Chrysler Laser I picked up the Civic and have been in a Honda ever since. I consulted with Chrysler on their North American Auto Show program a few years ago and told them my experience with the Laser and how happy I was with Honda. Unfazed, Tom LaSorda simply said "we know when we lose a buyer to the foreign auto market we will NEVER get them back". Wow, right?

I had a 92 Civic si for a few years, then sold it (keeping the wagon) and got a 99 CRV. When I sold the wagon in 02 I replaced it with another CRV. Sold the 99 CRV in 2006 and bought an 07 Pilot. All of them have been great.

With the tough economy, I just sold the Pilot to get out of having a car payment. Sold it in a day locally and now I need to get a second car.

I've considered another CRV or a Subaru Outback Limited. Friends have told me to check out the Rav4. Didn't like it in 1999, but I know it has changed since then.

Still, part of me still misses the Civic Wagon. I found this site looking for Civic Wagons that might be for sale. Love what people are still doing with them here, and the pictures really take me back. Living in Utah, I'd like to find an AWD one - but those have always been really rare, even more so now.

Comments

• dont get an outback, unless its a newer one. i had a 96, it was an OK car but too many problems that were expensive to fix. they are notorious for bad head gaskets which will run you like 1500-3000$ to have a shop fix. I would say get a wagon or a crv.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I like the 4th gen. Civics because of their simplicity, and lack of airbags/ABS/power accessories etc. The wagon can be a really solid daily driver, but to do so will require some work up front (or as you go) since it is a 20 year-old car. If you don't enjoy tinkering on your ride... :P

That said, my wife and i find ourselves driving the wagons exclusively, and grinning at all the similar-sized new cars with the same power and mileage. i've put about 40K on mine in the last 2 1/2 years.