which shocks?

what brand shocks are you guys running? Tokico or KYB or anything else?

im at a lost trying to figure out what is good out there. first thought were the fully adjustable AGX or Illumina but those costs a lot. GR-2 and HP are the other choice, but are they good?

also i have Skunk2 coilovers waiting for the drop...which shocks go good for those?

Comments

• sanjiyan69sanjiyan69 New Wagonist
    I have illuminas on mine. the fucking installers installed them wrong so the front two are blown. I'm sure that you can find them on ebay or honda-tech for a decent price.
  • duckie8310duckie8310 Senior Wagonist
    i found them on ebay for about 315. AGX for 282. HP for 220. GR-2 for 180.

my dad heard the HP are too soft for a coilover set up. any input?
    thanks! any brand preference for the bushings?
    mugen lol

that was a joke...
  • akiraboyakiraboy HondaCivicWagon.com Founder
    there are some spoon struts on honda tech right now but thats too damn much for me.

I am running tokico blues & they're aok
    thanks guys!

so the HP's are okay? don't you have coilovers for your car akiraboy? how are those working out for you?

im trying to get as much info on the shocks as possible before i buy anything. any ideas where a good place to buy from is? anywhere cheaper that eBay? i was around the honda-tech site, are their sponsers reliable?
    sponsors are typically very reliable. try them or if you can find someone that has them for sale privately. I just sold a set of tokico blues that was used for 2k miles for 150 shipped (for ef). should have found me earlier. :wink:
  • hahah dang...it's okay tho. ive been looking a lot lately. man, the classifieds aren't acceessible for new users...i have to wait two weeks for my account to be upgraded to full-access member :shock:

anyother place i can look?
    whoops....forgot to log-in
    whoops, forgot to update. got Tokico Illumina's ordered a few days ago from eBay. maybe in next week, so they'll be in on the weekend. i'll take pics to post up

oh yeah, for those with the coilovers, what height are you riding with? the Skunk2's i have allow for up to a 3in drop. i want a height that looks good but rides well at the same time and wont scratch when going up the driveway. just some suggestions?
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    Yo Duckie8310,Make sure you send the warranty card in as soon as you get the shx.You've got 10days!!!!!!!!!!!!
    haha most definately. i'll probably do the same, send it out as soon as i get it
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I'd reccommend KYB, Koni, Bilstein & Tein.
    According to several people i know that race professionally, you can't beat a Koni.
  • you won't be disappointed with the Illuminas.
    im still waiting for them to come in. it went by ground, cuz they paid for the S/H...so yeah. i almost went with the KYB AGX, mainly because of the cost. i found a set that went for $278 but with $30 S/H, so my dad said just just spend the extra 60 bucks and go with the good stuff. so we bought the Illuminas.

thanks guys for all the input. this board has helped out more than i can count. i check here everydayfor any input i can get :D
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    :) :D :lol: Excellant Choice! 8)
    welpz. i got the shocks in today, but sadly, i have to wait until the weekend to install them, no biggie tho, its gonna be worth the wait.

quick question, the bump-stop, do i have to cut them since i'm going to be lowering the car with coilovers?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I've never known anyone to cut the bumpstops on a lowered honda...
    so it isnt necessary to cut them? just out of curiousity....
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I'd say no but let someone else answer that... i've never done it but you never know..
    sure, thanks tho for the quick reply back =)
    is bump stop the rubber thing on the shocks? I have illuminas with weapon R coilovers and I didn't cut them...
    thanks! my dad was just curious
  • shenrieshenrie Council Member
    I cut the bump stoppers on any car thats lowered. It just gives you more travel before the strut bottoms out. Just have to be carefull no to cut out too much. You dont want the strutrod to bottom out. It will ruin the strut. Rule of thumb is generally cutting the bumps in half.

Take note that Tokico will not warranty thier struts if you use them with coilovers. Best read the fine print. Not that youll have aissues with them. Ive personally used the illuminas with oldschool weapon r coilovers for over 8 years and have had zero problems. Youll love them.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Interesting... don't think it matters so much on the wagons though, does it? They have a fair amount of travel even when lowered..
    Hehhehe, not the awd's. Depends on how low you go though. I like my cars slammed.....like stupid low. My Integra is lowered almost 5". Thats another one of my issues.

I basically do it to all cars that have coilovers installed, cause you never know how low they plan on going. Its a lot easier to cut them when the car has its struts out than when its back together and you have a bouncy ride. On cars where you just are installing springs we usually cut the bumpers in half unless the instructs say not too. On coilovers, I leave the bare minimum. I never cut the bumpers so that theres less than a half inch, cept on my own cars. On the Teg, the upper a-arm bottms out on chassis well before the strut bottoms out.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    noted... mine is awd so i will keep that in mind.
    My wagon rides terrible with roughly a 3" drop on cut springs. How low is yours?

On that note though, I have talked to one of the techs at Tein about the wagons and he told me that he would be willing to make a setup for the car. All he wanted me to do was send him pix of the suspension and cornerweight numbers and he would figure out a setup for me. Ive been dragging my feet becasue I want to send him numbers with the b-series stuff. The coolest thing...we can use the EDFC kits on our cars cause of the extra clearance between the top of the struts and the hood where the hatchs and CRX's wont have the clearance w/o Teins pillowball mounts (an extra few hundred). Im planning on getting the SS's for a DC w/the EDFC. Ive been told that the shortest strut available from Honda for all the cars from 88-01 were the DC's. Im going to get the forks from one and hopefully just bolt them on. Another project directaly related to cashflow. It will be a while, but it will happen.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    Theres a Bilstein tech in town who said he'd do the same thing for me. He said they would use the CRX/Civic strut but have a different length of stroke and different springrate for the spring. He said that would set me back $400 NZD per corner including fitting.