Aerial help, please

I am trying to put a nerw aeriel into the shuttle, got the replacement one no sweat out of the shit one, and pulled my one half out and snapped the cable. got the pieces out, but now I am trying to get the new cable down the hole and into the cabin, I have taped the new cable to a rod an stuck it down but cant find the access hole so i can pull it through, I have removed the fuse box an lower dash cover.
any fresh ideas?

Comments

• bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    The easiest way is to use the old wire to 'fish' the new one down the A-pillar. In other words, pull the old one up just far enough to cut off the mast. then tape the lead to the end of the new one and pull it through.
    Even using this method, Stephen and I spent over an hour changing his last weekend. There's a choke point about 3/4 of the way down the windshield post that seems like a wall. The trick is to pick up on the wire at that point to get past the pinch.

Tricks:

You need a wire or string run through there first- something to pull the lead through. The path isn't exactly straight, and you'll never be able to push it through there. Use a straightened coathanger to push down from the top, or maybe a piece of electrician's fish tape. Once you get that thru, use it to pull a wire or twine back up. Then tape that to your aerial lead and pull it back down.

Some silicone spray, or liquid soap- some lube will help.

I don't know if this will translate to your RHD car, but open the door and look for the black rubber tube that goes from the door post to the door- it carries the wiring harness for the door electrics. Pop it out of its hole at the car end. You should be able to see all the way into the car. That hole corresponds to the hole on the inside of the post where the aerial wire exits. You can stick your fingers in there to help guide the wire.

Clear as mud, right? Good luck!
  • rti intracrti intrac Senior Wagonist
    Cheers for that, Ill try tomorrow. yup its clear as mud
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    is the antenna on the right side or left?

edit: nevermind, I see it's on the right (wrong) side :P
  • rti intracrti intrac Senior Wagonist
    Re read your post now i'm awake properally. I DID try to use the old cable to pull hte new one through, but I was impatient and it got stuck so I gave ti a tug and it broke... ah well. back to trying again
  • progressprogress Wagonist
    When I replace the antenna on my old CRX, I tried taping a length of wire I had laying around to the old antenna in hopes of using the wire to pull the new antenna cable through. No such luck as the wire was thin enough to snap on the way down with the new antenna. Ended up just taping the plug of the new antenna to a sturdy piece wire, kinda thick, like maybe 1/8" in diameter and then threading that down the hole. I even did a dry run to see how much actual wire came down, switching from threading the wire to sticking my head under the dash to see if the wire reached and/or came out of the hole. Once I marked how long of a wire I needed, I threaded that down until the mark I made then headed under the dash to pull the cable through. With this method I was able to thread the antenna cable through without too much of a fight and without any help.

Good luck! I am probably going to do this to my wagon soon.