Roof Rack Install?

I just recently purchased roof rack rails for my 91 wagon. These rails are originally from UK. Does anyone know how to install these rails or know a place where I can have them installed. I believe that the US wagon models do not have the pre-existing holes for the roof rails to screw into. Any help would be great.

1091.jpg

Comments

• wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    danu425 wrote:
    I just recently purchased roof rack rails for my 91 wagon. These rails are originally from UK. Does anyone know how to install these rails or know a place where I can have them installed. I believe that the US wagon models do not have the pre-existing holes for the roof rails to screw into. Any help would be great.

1091.jpg

no wagon, USDM or JDM/EDM have pre-existing holes for a roof rack. you have to drill them yourself =)
    its quite easy, just be careful of your headliner. do a search, people have asked this question before regarding the USDM style roof rack, which still needs to be drilled so ANYWAYS.

search!
  • viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3338&start=270
    here's master bam, installing
    rev's roofrack...it would be similar...
    dont forget your headliner

rare, great find...
    and welcome
    oh yeah, post pix
    :mrgreen:
  • i saw one just like this on ebay a few days ago but i didnt know how it would go on but now i wont be so hasentent to buy one
  • Whatever you do don't hack this one up like another member did to supposedly fit a USDM roof. These also don't sit exactly center of the channel on the roof. If you do that it will run straight into the antennae. Here is a pic of it on my car. Mine is stock so these are correct pics.

296.jpg

284.jpg
  • ragenasian wrote:
    Whatever you do don't hack this one up like another member did to supposedly fit a USDM roof. These also don't sit exactly center of the channel on the roof. If you do that it will run straight into the antennae. Here is a pic of it on my car. Mine is stock so these are correct pics.

your car is hawt what rims are on it?
  • It is all in my thread on the last couple of pages. Lets stay on topic :wink:
  • skinnyskinny Senior Wagonist
    So did you just get the rack or the cross bars as well? Dont you need the inserts to put in the holes?
  • Euro wagons don't have cross bars.
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    ragenasian wrote:
    Euro wagons don't have cross bars.

Correct, same with the JDM wagons.
  • I should have written that in there too
    So only us american wagons got cross bars?
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    skinny wrote:
    So only us american wagons got cross bars?
    USDM racks are a completely different design then the EDM/JDM racks, you cant really compare the two. the EDM rails are much stronger, longer (and more usable, IMO). also, i believe all EDM wagons came standard with the rails, while USDM did not.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I have suspected for awhile that ALL the USDM racks were aftermarket, dealer installed options. I spoke to a mechanic who worked at a dealership back then, and he confirmed my suspicion. Japanese and European? No idea.
    Thats why im happy with my yakima rack :D
  • I have yet to see a German wagon that "didn't" have the roof rack on it.
    So I guess us americans would just rather have a rack for looks :lol:
  • Marc_EE9Marc_EE9 Senior Wagonist
    ive never seen a UK shuttle with a roof rack or roof bars as standard.

i wish i had some though!! then i dont have to put a dirty BMX inside :lol:
  • i found a guy at a local car meet that has a usdm 2wd wagon with a complete roof rack he said he will sell it to me for $20!*!* YESS
  • I just installed a roof rack from a Ford Exploder. Was off of a 4dr i believe, had to cut off a foot of the sliders. Next need to measure the crossbars to see how much needs to come off to make them fit :D
    wagodizzle wrote:
    no wagon, USDM or JDM/EDM have pre-existing holes for a roof rack. you have to drill them yourself =)

JDM wagons have two threaded bolts for the centre, and two nuts each end welded to the chassis
  • i just installed a roof rack from a 91 toyota 4 runner on my wag. ill post pics soon as i can. the length is just right. i just had to trim about 1 inch off the cross bars.
  • post pics plz
    im going to fit oem roof bars today

the roof lining is very difficult to get out, so i am just going to unclip it round the edges

i will be getting lots of pics! :mrgreen:
  • here are some pics from my phone. may not be the best quality.

492.jpg

493.jpg

494.jpg

495.jpg

496.jpg
    ive just started to unclip the roof lining, and you need to take out the rear window trim that surrounds it too.

not such a straight forward job as I though :(
    this means unbolting the rear seatbelts too.
  • MadwickMadwick New Wagonist
    has anyone ever tried to get another vehicles roof rack to work on the wagon? i was looking at the roof and its 38 inches across between the rain grooves. i love the yakima rack but its some darn expensive!

does the new wagon (honda fit) have a factory rack?
    Madwick wrote:
    has anyone ever tried to get another vehicles roof rack to work on the wagon? i was looking at the roof and its 38 inches across between the rain grooves. i love the yakima rack but its some darn expensive!

yes quite a few racks can be made to fit, do a search yo
  • Madwick wrote:

madwick. look a couple posts up at my last one with pics. thats one from a toyota 4 runner. so yea other vehicles will work. i did have to cut down about an inch off one side because it was a hair too wide. but just grab a hack saw and it takes no time at all.
  • MadwickMadwick New Wagonist
    awesome, and yours looks real good!

reason i dont want a stock rack is bc my roof caves in when the windows are down on the highway. i just roll up the windows and punch the roof and it will go back. the roofing system im looking for is also going to serve as reinforcement for the roof.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    ^^ You need to re-glue your roof skin to the roof bows. Very common problem.

I have a rack I pulled from a Toyota Corolla wagon- identical to the OE civic wagon one but a little narrower that I'm not gonna use...

Here's a pic from my wife's resto to explain what I mean

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s162 ... ner003.jpg