Power cap and amp won't stay on. (Help)

My power cap and amp won't stay on. At first I thought it was the ground, but I changed that to a better spot and it still won't stay on. It periodically pops on and I hear a single thump from my subs then thats it. It turns on when I start my car then turns off and turns again for a second when I turn off the car. Before it would turn on after I drive for awhile and stay on, but now nothing. Any suggestion to whats wrong with my system?

Comments

• Old SkoolOld Skool Council Member
    disconnect your sub.. it may be a short causing the amp to go into protection :(
  • PrefaderPrefader Band Wagon
    Probably something you've already checked, but how much voltage is making it back there? Sounds to me like the system's not getting enough. Check it at the cap and the amp. I'd also try pulling the cap out of the system altogether, and see what happens.

Do the rest of the lights in the car dim or anything while this is all going on?

I think you're seeing the on-off-on-off stuff happen because the system fires up, runs out of juice, waits for the cap to "charge", fires back up, discharges the cap, runs out of juice, turns off, etc. etc. etc.

How much current are you drawing, anyway? Do you even need the cap?
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    I'm not a stereo guy much, but if you're turning it on with the remote wire from your head unit, check that.
  • ThaClutcHThaClutcH Senior Wagonist
    Thanks for the feedback. I won't have time to check it until tomorrow. But on my power cap it stays between 11-13. Thats good. Im gonna check the main fuse on the power wire and check for any loose connections with my power wire. Im also gonna check the remote wire as well just incase it was pinched or something. I'll let you guys know how things go by tomorrow night. Thanks so far.
  • skinnyskinny Senior Wagonist
    Since no one posted this I will. take your remote wire that leads to your head unit. with the car on your cap should display 14.4 volts or around there. under 14 is bad with the car on and look into your alternator. Now with your remote wire make sure its connected to the amp and cap. with the other end hook it directly to a 12v source. this should force the cap and amp to power up. if they dont your amp and cap are the problem. if they do fire up, check your wiring all the way up to the front and make sure you wired it to the head unit properly. Im a pioneer head unit ONLY kind of guy and on their harnesses its a blue wire. Solid blue wire I should add.
  • if you'd disconnected the battery
    or anything that caused such an event
    your radio will reset...