How to tow a RT-4WD?

How do i disengage the RT4WD on my USDM Civic Wagon RT4WD?

I found this tucked away and i thought i would share. I can't remember who made these images, but thanks!

Manual Transmission:

disengage-manual1.jpg

disengage-manual2.jpg

Automatic Transmission:

disengage-auto.jpg

Return to Drivetrain F.A.Q

Comments

• vtecn8ivevtecn8ive Senior Wagonist
    I may be acquiring a RT-4WD this weekend or next for somewhat cheap, only thing is I may have to tow it home. I have no experience towing 4wd or awd cars. I believe all wheels have to be off the ground right?

or could I put a tow bar on it and put it in neutral and pull it that way? all 4 wheels would be on the ground.

Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks,
    Shane
  • there must be info on the inside of the
    sunvisor...there sumwhere

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4948

and...
    moving a car without using any part of it:
    e.g. on top of another car, trailer, dolly
    truck, helicopter, plain, submarine, boat
    etc. is always a safe option

: )

hmmm, i forgot rocket
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    You can disconnect the rear wheels and tow it like a FWD car by flipping a switch on the transmission. It's different for standard and auto trans but both have this function.

A quick search should answer your question in no time. :P
  • If it's an automatic you really want to do your homework first. Maybe drop the driveshaft and rent a tow dolly.

If it's a manual and only a short distance I would drop the drive shaft and tow bar it. Maybe stop every now and then to see if there's anything strange happening or funny smells coming from it (like oil blowing all over the place).

There's a company called remco that is pretty much the authority on flat towing (from the RV world). They make all kinds of crazy stuff from driveshaft couplers to pumps that will lube the auto trans while it's being towed (toad for you RV people).

Google them and give them a call. I've seen people tow many of CR-V's behind motorhomes.
  • Shane,

You are exactly right; you can do either option you suggested OR for more options the rear wheels (OS) can be disconnected at the trans. Easiest thing to do is just tell the tow truck co. that you want a flatbed, done.
    Its a 88-91 Civic so I think that doesn't come with the 'flip' tow switch right? or do all generations come with it? (84-87 and 88-91)

I would be towing it myself :D I would get a uhaul and put it on there and tow it back. I just got word that the car does run though, so we'll see, maybe i'll end up trying to drive it home.
  • fettcols wrote:
    If it's a manual and only a short distance I would drop the drive shaft and tow bar it.
    I don't have much RT experience, but what could be damaged by flat-towing with the diveshaft in place or disengagement lever in the normal position? The book says to disengage the 4WD, but what could happen? I don't see how it would be any different to the viscous coupling than normal driving.

Flat-towing from the 1990 FSM:
    Manual - disengage 4WD lever and tow
    Auto - start engine, shift to D4/D, then neutral and shut engine off. And also disengage 4WD. If you can't do that, you can't flat tow it.

Don't exceed 35 MPH or 50 miles in distance.
  • I've seen an automatic trans prettymuch toasted from flat towing once. It wasn't a Honda, it was Subaru. That was about a decade ago so I don't quite remember what model it was. Anyway the transmission fluid was all over the place, I think it shot out the dipstick.

When it comes to auto trannys, you have moving parts and the fluid isn't being pumped like it would be if the car was running. Manual tranny cars have a much lower chance of damage while being flat towed.

If you have access to a trailer thats the best way to go. Much less work and risk involved.
  • when i picked up my rt i used a dolley and took the driveshaft out after the carrier bearing and before the rear dif.

before that we tried to tow it cause we thought we had the lever disengaged but we didnt.

long story short it didnt move when we tried before we took the shaft out. idk why but it pulled extremly hard for like a foot then we stopped and took the shaft out.

but there is a sticky in the drivetrain link at the top of the page with a photocopy of a rt owners manual that shows the pic. bring a long extension to reach it from the top. :idea:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I merged this topic with the one already in the drivetrain quicklinks.
    The question I have about that sticky is that it looks like its 84-87 Civic AWD since it has the carburetor.

I had read somewhere on Honda-tech that there is a difference between the 84-87 and 88-91 and the main thing being the disengage feature.

Can anyone confirm that their 88-91 civic rt4wd can be disengaged in order to tow?
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    87 EW and 88-96 EE/EF use the same method, the switch on the gearbox housing. 84-86 use a push button on the dash. INTRAC models use a switch on the diff housing rather than the gearbox housing.

That should clear up all three. :)
    thats what i was looking for. thanks for the advice everyone
  • Is it possible to disengage the RT4wd and drive the car (in 2wd)? Just thinking about better fuel mileage in summer months.
  • Why does it show the car jacked up, and then it says "with the car on the ground...".

The middle bolt doesn't rotate. It stays fixed, and you use it to move the lever sideways. Since I was doing this from above without removing the intake pipe, I couldn't get two sets of extensions in that tight space (one to move it, one to tighten the bolt). So I found it easier to use a long prybar to hold the lever. It doesn't take much force.

The car feels slightly faster, rolls out of my driveway easier, and doesn't drop revs as fast when it's in 2WD.
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Why does it show the car jacked up, and then it says "with the car on the ground...".

Because it's still on the ground.
    Charb1618 wrote:
    Why does it show the car jacked up, and then it says "with the car on the ground...".

Because it's still on the ground.
    :lol:
  • So it is possible to disengage the 4wD to save gas? Without any issues?
  • klumklum Senior Wagonist
    yes it sure be
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    I didn't see this when I had to tow my old wagon... I took out the drive shaft... Son of a B%&*@!!!!
  • DRMORTY wrote:
    I didn't see this when I had to tow my old wagon... I took out the drive shaft... Son of a B%&*@!!!!
    That sucks. Then you had to refill your transfer case with oil!=o
  • picking up a manual rt4wd wagon on saturday for a family member. was planning on disengauging the 4wd then pulling it home on a 2 wheel dolly via the front wheels. the tow will be 130 miles, will this damage the car?
  • As long as you disengage the transfer case, there will be no damage.
  • Gosh.

Im seriously entertaining getting myself a wagon. My current car and truck eats up too much gas, and I want something cheap and fun to drive with good MPG.

I can see this is an involved process, but is it difficult?
  • Gosh.

Im seriously entertaining getting myself a wagon. My current car and truck eats up too much gas, and I want something cheap and fun to drive with good MPG.

I can see this is an involved process, but is it difficult?

Dont ask here, your question has nothing to do with this thread
  • gunsup0331gunsup0331 New Wagonist
    i read through here but am still a bit confused on what needs to be done for towing an rt4wd with all four wheels on the ground. should i be ok in neutral and 4wd disengaged? going about 90 miles on asphalt.

if something needs to be disconnected a tools req list would be awesome, havent been under a 4wd yet and mines stuck on a highway north of tuscon AZ :(
    Update: disengaged 4wd and towed it at 45mph max about 80 miles last night. All four wheels on the ground, so far nothing seems amiss
  • casmithcasmith Band Wagon
    Flat bed trailer is the best option. Because there is no chance that hitting a big bump or not quite throwing the lever far enough and toasting the transmission. It's definitely worth a little more hassle to have the ease of mind that nothing crazy is going to happen. That is my opinion.
  • casmith wrote:
    Flat bed trailer is the best option. Because there is no chance that hitting a big bump or not quite throwing the lever far enough and toasting the transmission. It's definitely worth a little more hassle to have the ease of mind that nothing crazy is going to happen. That is my opinion.
    Totally agree with you, had to get mine towed twice recently (dizzy took a poop), and im real glad. I asked AAA to send a flatbed rather than trying to disengage 4wd along side the highway
  • Yvisaur40Yvisaur40 Band Wagon
    Hey! I feel really retard, but I cannot find my lever on my transmission.. its a 87 manual, Is it suppose to be a challenge to reach that lever ?
  • DRMORTYDRMORTY Council Member
    So, can we drive in 2WD ? will it hurt the tranny ?