Window Crank Problem

The window on my driver's door is extremely difficult to crank up or down. The rest of the windows in the car move much more easily. What could be causing this problem?

Comments

• astutoastuto Wagonist
    need of grease probably
  • cogitocogito Wagonist
    Does the grease go in the track that holds the sides of the window, or in the cranking mechanism, or what? I suppose the door panel has to come off? Is that very hard to do?
  • cogito wrote:
    Does the grease go in the track that holds the sides of the window, or in the cranking mechanism, or what? I suppose the door panel has to come off? Is that very hard to do?

There is a special tool you can buy to pop off the door panel. It looks like a screwdriver but the head is split and angled a bit.

Then, once the panel is off, you should have some plastic sheeting glued to the metal with some type of adhesive. Pull this off gently and then you will have access to the crank mechanism.

Sorry but that is as far as my personal experience goes.

When I had the exterior weatherstripping replaced on the driver's door, I also asked my bodyshop guy to grease the crank and rails. Everything runs real smooth now.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    the hardest part in taking your door panel off is getting the crank out. you have to be EXTREMELY careful because if you force it out too far it wont go back properly. either use the tool lalunette mentioned or get a tiny needle-nose plier and pop out the "pin" that keeps the crank in place on the door/mechanism. once you have this out then all you need to do is unscrew a few screws tat you find along the edge of the door and near the door handle and in the door grabber pocket thing. then lift the panel up and out. easy. then grease up whatever.
  • cogitocogito Wagonist
    Sounds good. Thanks.
  • To get the clip out from the crank handle I always use a piece of cloth, stick it behind the handle, hold either side of it and move it around until the pin falls out.
  • jpciiijpciii familEE
    cogito wrote:
    Does the grease go in the track that holds the sides of the window, or in the cranking mechanism, or what?

I dealt with the exact same problem. My window was really bad. It would only go down about 3 inches before it would get completely stuck.

Use white lithium grease on the cranking mechanism / gears. It is difficult to get your hands up in there, but do the best you can. More importantly, you need to lube up the channels that the glass slides in. I used a spray can of silicone lube. Be sure to get the tracks that are down inside the door. I used the silicone lube on a bunch of other window parts where grease couldn't really reach.

I did all that almost 2 years ago, and it is still very smooth.
  • Well, yet again, it all boils down to using lots of lube... :twisted:
  • ThatDoodleThatDoodle Council Member
    lalunette wrote:
    Well, yet again, it all boils down to using lots of lube... :twisted:

Or you can just hire a wet beaver to do it all for you.
  • wagodizzlewagodizzle Council Member and EDM expert
    hahaha ^^
  • astutoastuto Wagonist
    lol
  • ThatDoodle wrote:
    lalunette wrote:
    Well, yet again, it all boils down to using lots of lube... :twisted:

Or you can just hire a wet beaver to do it all for you.

Ain't that the truth. :twisted:

However, be careful... you might end up like that Spitzer guy in New York. :!:
  • OGWAGN1OGWAGN1 Wagonist
    Yes be very careful with your window crank i broke mine getting my panel off! still looking for one actually if anyone has a blue one for a 91 :D when i took mine off it wasnt really a pin, it was more of a clip shaped like a U that went around the whole shaft for the window crank in between the panel and the crank. i used 2 screwdrivers 2 push the clip or u could use some needle nose vice grips and open them until its the right size push down and that works pretty good too.
  • bam-bambam-bam Council Member
    nominous wrote:
    To get the clip out from the crank handle I always use a piece of cloth, stick it behind the handle, hold either side of it and move it around until the pin falls out.

Dave's right. I have the tool, but the hem of my t-shirt works better.
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    Funny, I have better luck with the proper tool. But that's just me.

Also funny I should find this thread - my driver's window is difficult to crank. I assumed the track was wearing out. It may be, but once the weather warms up a little I'll lube it up as suggested.
  • blaqmanblaqman Band Wagon
    could be the regulator itself...had the problem with my old bug and my RT wagon,...takes like 30 mins to change... four 10mms for the regulator and 2 (10mms) for the window. Obviously you take the window out first. If theres enough interest maybe ill do a writeup.
  • White&NerdyWhite&Nerdy Senior Wagonist
    I love Civics. With a 10mm wrench you can dismantle the entire car. :twisted:
  • HaydzHaydz Moderator
    I love Civics. With a 10mm wrench you can dismantle the entire car. :twisted:

Nah you need a 12 as well but close enough!

I have just dismantled the entire front end of my Honda City and all i have used so far are 10mm, 12mm, phillips head screw driver and long nosed pliers.
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    I did the same as jpciii,but the main prob is in the crank mech.After years of service it gets worn & then starts to bind.I got a plastic syringe(from West Marine,art supply store,TAP Plastic) & put Silcone grease in it & injected it into the crank mech.It worked wonders.Reason I don't like silicone spray lube...it's too thin,won't stick as long & evoparates to fast(maybe???).

BONUS round:I used this same technique to pack the frt.LCA ball joints.
  • I'm having the same problem with a jacked up drivers window. Mine need a new run channel and window reg. Even with my working for honda discount its still almost $100 for both. OUCH!!!! :shock:
  • jpciiijpciii familEE
    SiWagon wrote:
    I did the same as jpciii,but the main prob is in the crank mech.After years of service it gets worn & then starts to bind.I got a plastic syringe(from West Marine,art supply store,TAP Plastic) & put Silcone grease in it & injected it into the crank mech.It worked wonders.Reason I don't like silicone spray lube...it's too thin,won't stick as long & evoparates to fast(maybe???).

BONUS round:I used this same technique to pack the frt.LCA ball joints.

awesome idea using the syringe. I couldn't figure out a good way to get grease everywhere I wanted it, so silicon spray lube had to suffice for parts of the mechanism... When I have to re-do it some day, I'll look for your cool grease delivery method. :idea:
  • SiWagonSiWagon Council Member
    :? It was Mobil 1 synthetic grease not silicone .It was the reddish purple colour.

TIP: I'd inject this grease in earlier so the crank mech will last longer rather than wait till the window starts to rolldown BAD.
  • I used a the end of a wire coat hanger to remove the crank retainer clip. Bend the hanger around on itself to about a 1/4" radius or smaller. this will allow you to easily pull out the clip. To replace it, place the clip partially on the handle before you put the handle on the shaft. once the handle is in place, push the clip the rest of the way on.
  • ScallyWagScallyWag Wagonist
    *Necro-Bumped for the Purpose of Adding the Following (Exaustive!) Procedure to the Correct Thread* - yer pal ScallyWag :D

I fixed both front windows yesterday.... here's how:

0.1 Tools required:

-#2 Phillips Screwdriver
    -Flathead Screwdriver
    -Needle-nose Pliers (the bent ones work even better here) or a proper "retaining clip removal tool"
    -10mm socket, six inch extension, ratchet
    -Big Plastic Syringe for grease, OR a grease gun
    -Lubes - 1 grease (for gears and tracks), 1 can spray silicone (for glass on rubber), 1 WD-40 type (for tight spots where the grease can't "flow")
    -Rags!

0.2 Open the car door, sit on a low stool or bucket facing the inside of the door.

1. Remove the interior door panel -Remove the window crank handle by pushing in on the door panel until the crank axle is visible, then use a pair of needle-nose pliers to grab the back side of the u-shaped retaining clip and pull it off the shaft. Wiggle and twist while pulling the handle until it and the ring behind it are free. Next, remove 4 #2 phillips screws, then pop out the "grab handle pocket" (the part where you put your fingers to pull the door shut) by prying with the flathead screwdriver. Now work (pry) your way around the front, bottom and rear edges of the panel, popping out the little trim "plugs / clips". The top of the panel has 4 u-shaped clips holding it to the door. Pull the bottom edge of the panel about six inches away from the door and you can see one, near where the lock button comes up. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the clip upwards, and work your way from the back edge of the door towards the front.... easy!

2. Remove the Vapor Barrier - Firstly remove the small bracket where the "grab handle pocket" was (3 #2 phillips screws). Next remove the vapor barrier by gently pulling it away from the door while cutting away at the caulk / sealant underneath. Both the plastic sheeting and the caulk can be re-used if kept in good shape - My 21 year-old caulk was still sticky and soft!
    :shock: :lol:
    It is an easy job to put new caulk and sheeting in anyways if need be - so easy I'll let you figure out how :D

3. Remove the window glass - Roll the window almost all the way down, using the crank on the shaft. There are 2 bolts (8 or 10 mm) holding the window to the "lift" (look for the white tabs attached to the glass - one is only accessable through a circular hole in the door ). Using a six-inch ratchet extension, loosen these two bolts BUT DON'T REMOVE THEM TOTALLY. The metal "lift" portion they are threaded through slides forward / back and allows the bolts to stay with the glass while the bolt heads slip out through the larger diameter of the "keyhole". Once the glass is un-bolted, tilt it forward, outwards and then pull it up and out of the door.

4. Remove the Regulator - Crank the "lift" back upwards until it is about halfway up and all the regulator parts / tracks / scissors form a straight line. Unbolt the two rear bolts, noting the position of the rear-most bolt (this is the adjustment bolt, which threads through the elongated hole), then the four bolts near the crank shaft. Note that the top-most two bolts need not be removed entirely, again loosen them only, as they will slip out the "keyholes". Grab the mechanism, rotate until the bolt heads slide out the "keyholes" then take the whole mechanism out the bottom of the door.

5. Lube Time! - Clean any rusted parts first. Then grease all the tracks, rollers, hinges and anything else that moves. Using the syringe / grease gun, inject grease into the "gearbox" (I greased the teeth of the rack it engages too). Use the light oil on the scissor hinge and the ends of the window crank shaft (note that the shaft wears away the metal into an oval shape from the repeated torque over the years). Crank the mechanism back and forth a few times to spread the lube around and to check for function / smoothness. Spray the silicone lube into the vertical rubber tracks the glass slides up / down in, working from top to bottom.
    Wipe up any excess lubes, or your glass may suffer from slug trails!

6. Re-assemble! - Mostly it is the reverse of dis-assemble . Be sure to slide the glass into the rubber tracks before bolting it up. Note that the "keyhole" bolts stay with the part they thread into, making assembly easier. Keep the glass still and move the metal "lift" portion until the bolt heads slip throught the "keyholes" (ditto for the top two regulator bolts). BEFORE Re-Applying Vapor Barrier, Check the function again - now is the time for adjustments to the rear-most (adjustment) bolt if nesscesary, but for me the lube fixed all my stiffness problems :oops: - I left mine at factory position. Re-apply the Vapor Barrier or install a new one with some silicone or caulk, trim the excess with a sharp knife. Re-install the interior dool panel, starting with the top clips (hammer fist) and working your way down, then the screws. Re-install the window crank plastic ring and crank handle. Mount the spring / retainer clip on the handle ALMOST in the position it ends up in, so that the handle can be put on the shaft and in one push with the flat-head screwdriver clipped into place. Oh, and clean them greasy finger prints off the glass! :P

Suddenly you're done! And if there are no parts left over, you did a good job too! :D Have a beer, you've earned it... So did I! Now have one for me too :wink:
  • CharbCharb Administrator
    Necro-bumped LOL
  • ilovemywagonilovemywagon Band Wagon
    Same thing happened to me. No biggie. Just take off the door panel, get some wd40, spray it on the cranks and the black strip the window slides up and down threw, put some soapy water in there to lub that shit up.
    ok peace.
  • I'd like to add my vote for the tee shirt method of removing the window crank clip. After you have pushed the panel in and looked at the orientation of the clip, slip the edge of a tee shirt or rag behind the crank on the open side of the clip. Holding one end securely, pull on the other end of the tee shirt and the clip just pops out (sometimes flying a little distance). No special tools, no chance of damaging anything.

I had to replace the driver's side regulator in my '91 RT, the window rocked as it went up, leaving a gap at the back top edge. Replacement was surprisingly easy once I figured out how to get it out of the door.
  • DakijiDakiji Band Wagon
    I had a similar problem with my drivers window, however I found that it was actually not sliding up and down in the rubber groove. I had to carefully use a flathead screwdriver to pull it around the glass as i had my son crank the window slowly. We finnally got it, and it now works great! Hope this helps someone?
  • saveacivicsaveacivic New Wagonist
    mrwhoopee, where is Shingletown? :)
  • g. mang. man Band Wagon
    My chilton shows like 14 different places that the mechanism needs lubed. If you don't have one, i'd just go to your local parts store, and look in one of theirs. That way you know exactly where it needs lubed. That white lithium grease is awesome stuff. I wouldn't use WD40, unless you want to do it often.