What should I replace while I have the engine out?

So I'm finally in the early stages of replacing the engine in my '89 wagon that died 2 years ago. I bought and entire car that I scored locally with a strong engine. It also has a 6 speed and I'm going to swap out the auto in my old car while I'm at it. My question is what should I plan on replacing while its out? I plan to get new hoses, motor mounts, oil pan gasket, oil pump, water pump, timing belt, crank shaft seal, and a clutch. Anything else that would be a total PITA to change after I install the new engine? I've been wrenching on cars as needed for about 20 years but this is my first time replacing and engine and I am by no means an expert so this is going to be a big challenge for me. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks -Chris

Comments

• HaydzHaydz Moderator
    oil pan gasket, crank end seal, cambelt, tensioner, water pump, oil pump, valve cover gasket, spark plug seals, distributor o-ring, camshaft end seal, spark plugs, spark leads, distributor cap, distributor rotor, check if the igniter was replaced by Honda, machine the flywheel, new clutch that matches, flywheel bearing, throwout bearing (unique to the 4WD!), sump plug washer, oil filter, 10w30 oil, new radiator cap, coolant

Flywheel/Clutch compatibility:
    1988 = 21 spline input shaft, 190 mm disc
    1989 = 20 spline input shaft, 200 mm disc
    90/91 = 20 spline input shaft, 212 mm disc

Throwout Bearing:
    22810-PH8-008
  • bikewhorderbikewhorder New Wagonist
    Thanks! Just the info I was looking for.
  • Also, if you have trouble finding that throwout bearing like I did b/c its discontinued. SKP makes them and use that part number. Rock Auto sometimes carries them.