New To the Wagon Fam 88 Civic Wagon.

Hello, I have recently bought an 88 Civic Wagon off an app for $800. It is fwd 5 speed and it was in great condition. No serious issues, but the previous owner cut the stereo out before he sold me the car. I guess he did a shitty job at wrapping the wires up because 2 days later some loose wires started hitting each other and burnt all the way to my fuse box. I wrapped up the wires and everything was working fine for about 2 days before my car finally just stopped working while I was driving it, then some smoke started coming up from the top of my steering wheel. Won't start or even click over. I had it towed to a shop (cause I don't know much about cars) and the mechanic told me I probably need to get a new fuse box and a dash harness. I am sure you guys understand how damn difficult it is to find those things, or even find anyone that can build them. So I have a dilema. I guess my questions to you guys is

1. are there anyone out there who is selling a spare fuse box or dash harness, or will build one?

2. Do you guys think the harness and fuse box are the cause of my problems?

3. Should I just stop being a little girl and figure out how to build the harness myself and just make it a DIY?

Any information helps. This is my first car and I fell way too hard in love with her to just let her go or part her out. I'm in it till the wheels fall off. Even though I am not very auto savvy right now, I look forward to learning how to work on cars so in the future I can self-diagnose. But for now, it's amateur hour for me.

Comments

• king06king06 Band Wagon
    As much as I would like to take your money, I'm pretty sure a dual point 88 civic dash harness will work. Just needs to be same year and trim. I had a really hard time finding a cabin and dash harness that would work for a crx I had. You can definitely try to repair it if it's only a couple wires. Sorry, if you have some time, I can get you my harness.
  • ZombieMikeZombieMike New Wagonist
    Dang that sucks! Welcome to the Wagon life lol...Shitty way to start but it coulda been worse. Had a buddy watch his burn to the ground due to faulty wiring...Hit the facebook pages, check the for sale/trade section here, there is bound to be someone in the community that can help. Ive seen harnesses for sale alot here lately now that i think of it...Best of luck man, dont give up! Lets see some pics of that wagon!
  • I believe any 88-89 EF will work. 90-91 have those nasty, nasty autobelts, so they may be a bit different. Check this out: https://www.civicwagon.com/showthread.php?19106-88-91-All-the-Wiring-Information-You-Could-Need-is-in-Here&highlight=88+dash+harness